SL factbook

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maintenance Day was on Wednesdays.  If one tried to logon to the web page to check the status, one would see a graphic of apes, at least one that was swinging a bone.  Here is an example of a notification one would see on a Maintenance Day where a lot was expected to be accomplished.  Note the six hour down time.  This was their best estimate.

This particular update happened about one month after I rezzed. 

The use of the 'monkey' to represent Lindens working on things related to the label 'Grid Monkey'.  Unfortunately, I cannot find an image of the grid monkey banging his wrench. 

ETA:  Corrected the tool to 'bone' and post image.  Thank you Charolotte.

monkey.jpg

Mylar wrote:

Just read through this whole thread...ah memories
:P
I remember the "image missing" texture ( 

:P
)

If you hit Ctrl+Alt+Shift+H it says "hippos!" in your chat window (but only you can see it).

That's my contribution to the list
:)

Yay! The Hippos! easter egg!

This was a big part of Viewer 1 for a long time, before it was removed. It was eventually added back after a long campaing and a "1000 vote challenge" by a Lab employee was exceeded.

http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-11118

• 2 months later...

Hey Jonathan.  The only old timer I ever really met was Pete Fats, but have not seen him on in quite a while.  He did pop in a couple of years ago it seems, just to see what was happening, and I was lucky to catch him on.  Are you familiar with him? He used to hang out at the bean stalk. 

I don't know if someone's posted this before - if so, sorry for re-posting. (I've since realised that it has been posted earlier, but I'll leave this up as that makes it twice as easy to find!)

Here's a video I found of Linden World, the precursor to Second Life, dating from 2001.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Peewee, I remember the banks closing but I never knew the genesis.  Awesome!

Not only did I have the 'head up my arse' experience, but once a friend took photos of my avie collapsed on a dance floor.  In my view, I was dancing.  Not in her view.  Circa April 2007.  The question mark above my avie has nothing to do with the collapse.  It was one of the club quiz games.

broken v on vood floor J.jpg

Clubs used to attract patrons with sploders.  You would toss L$ into the sploder (usually L$10 minimum and one could pay it many times) and watch it count down until it exploded and paid off winners.  Usually there was one big winner and a few smaller winners.  Of course, the venue took a cut.  If the club was packed, most people won nothing.  Then, the whole thing would restart.

One evening, the club was full...50-60 patrons and the sploder had about L$40,000 in it.  We waited and waited for it to explode.  The club crashed.  When we returned, the sploder had L$0 in it.  Management was accused of stealing money.  When management finally showed up, she said that she had no record of the amount of L$ in the sploder so the money was lost.

Sploders of this sort were banned in late 2007 or 2008, clubs lost patrons, and many clubs went out of business.  Club owners were on their honor to remove the sploders but, if they did not and someone informed LL, a Linden would show up at the club and confiscate it.  I witnessed this once.  Funny.  What was so controversial then, one has to laugh at now.

I had an incident something like that. Something happened  and all I would do is scoot on my butt. Lost my hair and my male friend turned into a small female.Snapshot_0122.jpg

We looked so awful back then. It's amazing how things have changed.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm keen on SL history and not so long ago I aquired a simple cube prim created on Saturday 26th  January 2002 at 4.46. This makes it almost six months older than The Man statue in Natoma.  It also predates Governor Lindens mansion and Philip Lindens beach ball.

I have little information as to its history, due to its age the creator is not listed. It came to me with the description 'LindenWorld Alpha prim'

So far it is the only object I have seen that may have been created in LindenWorld. 

Anvil Daniels wrote:

I'm keen on SL history and not so long ago I aquired a simple cube prim created on Saturday 26th  January 2002 at 4.46. This makes it almost six months older than The Man statue in Natoma.  It also predates Governor Lindens mansion and Philip Lindens beach ball.

I have little information as to its history, due to its age the creator is not listed. It came to me with the description 'LindenWorld Alpha prim'

So far it is the only object I have seen that may have been created in LindenWorld. 

May I suggest you contact Lalo who has done a lot of historical work.  In his blog right now he shows 'the nickle as the oldest existing object in SL, dating to February 2002. 

http://lalotelling.blogspot.com/2010/06/seconderth-deep-map-sl-825-b.html

A spoof website known as getafirstlifecom (now gone), which replicated the then SL website and that the lab was going to issue a cease and desist order to till somebody in the lab told the legal department to get a sense of humour - circa 2006-07?  

Sorry for the poor quality

firstlife.png

Have just found a tiny extract of the email that LL's legal department eventually sent.  It opens with commentary from the author of the website.

Today I awoke from my nap to a letter (via the comments on the announcement) from Linden Labs, the creators of Second Life. 'Ah, well', I though, 'here come the lawyers'. But no. To their enormous credit, they sent me what I can only describe as a 'proceed and permitted' (instead of 'cease and desist') letter. Here's an excerpt:

"We do not believe that reasonable people would argue as to whether the website located at http://www.getafirstlife.com/ constitutes parody – it clearly is. Linden Lab is well known among its customers and in the general business community as a company with enlightened and well-informed views regarding intellectual property rights, including the fair use doctrine, open source licensing, and other principles that support creativity and self-expression.

We know parody when we see it."*

*See?  They used to have a sense of humour

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.