SL and Combat

Christin73

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am wondering if SL was realy made for combat. I know combat is populer, but in all combat sims you need to have a hud made generaly by USC or another manufactuer. SL does not come with it's own combat system unlike 3rd person shooter games. So I am wondering just what the intention of SL is or was in the form of combat by LLs creaters.

Are you telling us or asking us, Christina?

SL does, in fact, come with a combat system. Haven't you ever been to a parcel with a little red heart up in the top border of your viewer? If you are hit by a projectile that is scripted to invoke damage, you die. Easy peasy.

People who want more complexity have scripted their own HUDs and weaponry. People who don't even want projectiles flying around have come up with even more systems. I am an action game maker and yet have never even heard of the USC system, there are probably 20 different combat systems around SL. (I call it alphabet soup, LOL.)

So what is the intention of SL or its creators, LL? Who cares?

Go find a combat system or combat sim that suits you and get shooting!

Christin73 wrote:

I am wondering if SL was realy made for combat. I know combat is populer, but in all combat sims you need to have a hud made generaly by USC or another manufactuer. SL does not come with it's own combat system unlike 3rd person shooter games. So I am wondering just what the intention of SL is or was in the form of combat by LLs creaters.

SL is more like a game engine with batteries included than a prepackaged game. here are some tools, go make something. it doesn't look that way now because a lot of us already made things. it wasn't really made especially for games or socialization or art installations or dens of iniquity, but enables all of them and more.

LL's intention was not to make SL a shoot em up game.  Their intention was to build a platform that was a virtual world and let the residents create the content for it and therefore make their part of the world what they wanted it to be.

Personally I have no interest in combat nor in having combat on any sim I own or manage.  I would view a built in combat system as just something else that added to the complexity of managing a sim, as well as something else to break, go wrong, or be abused by griefers.

Your world, your imagination - My world, my imagination.  If you want combat on your sim you can install a system suited to the specific combat  you want to do no matter if its tanks and guns or melee weapons.  Seems pretty smart on LL's part to me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3711 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.