Right to Know: GMO

Melita Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would rather let this film speak for itself. But, for those who might have trouble viewing or following the video, here is what it is basically about.

A certain global corporation has apparently decided it has the right to own life. Genetic diversity and fertility are crucial in seeds. This corporation seeks the opposite. Its seeds must be purchased anew each planting. Its seeds will not reproduce as nature intended. They have been modified.

It does not stop there. There are testimonies this company has gone after farmers and confiscated crops. Why? How? Because this company has a patent - on its seeds. And when you have a patent on seeds, you have a patent on life itself. When you control the food supply, you control humanity itself.

You can google GMO foods for yourself and learn its history and where its future is pointed.

Meanwhile, please take an hour and view this documentary. It is free to view until November 10. California voters, a YES on Prop. 37 is crucial to a healthy future. Even that is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic so to speak. But it is a start. GMOs should be banned because no one, no one, should own LIFE.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Really? The way it is here, is that food is labeled if it hasn't been genetically modified, and it sells at a premium, to the rich.

If by "here" do you mean another country?  I have heard that labeling is done in other countries and that is all we are asking for here. (in the US)

Czari Zenovka wrote:

I listen to several late night talk shows and this issue has come up a lot recently with CA leading the way to mandate that the genetically-modified food be labeled so at least consumers can make an informed choice.

I pray it passes so that other states will take the cue.

Thank you Czari. I hope so, too.

It is my understanding that GMO foods, the first of which appeared in the mid-1990s, have been banned in some nations already. Labeling will be at least a beginning.

The same corporation behind the particular GMO in this documentary, also the # 1 contributor to the "no on Prop 37" effort, by the way, also sued to stop labeling of its bovine growth hormone from appearing on milk labels. It won in four U.S. states. In those states it is illegal to say that the bovine growth hormone is not in the ingredients. Imagine that...cannot say it is NOT in there. Now why would the company wish that to be the case...?

Thank you Charolotte for your posts, but I am unsure what you could be referring to.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

I mean big city USA. We have been eating modified, genetically engineered food for almost all my life.

Oh I don't doubt we in the US have been eating modified, genetically engineered food for quite awhile, but you must be significantly younger than I since it has most definitely not been most of my life.

If the city where you live is labeling GMO food (talking about regular grocery stores and not health food stores) that is excellent - and news to me.

"Whether people all over the world know it or not, GM food has probably crept into their diet. Though people talk about GM food a lot, nothing seems to have been done, at least not in the U.S., to halt its enormous growth. In the U.S. alone, 60% of all processed foods contain genetically modified ingredients." http://library.thinkquest.org/TQ0312650/food.htm

"Americans eat genetically modified foods everyday. Although the GM tomato has been taken off the market, millions of acres of soy, corn, canola, and cotton have had foreign genes inserted into their DNA. The new genes allow the crops to survive applications of herbicide, create their own pesticide, or both. While there are only a handful of published animal safety studies, mounting evidence, which needs to be followed up, suggests that these foods are not safe." http://www.wanttoknow.info/gmoinyourfood

"Q: How long have we been genetically altering our food?
A: Longer than you think.

Genetic modification is not novel. Humans have been altering the genetic makeup of plants for millennia, keeping seeds from the best crops and planting them in following years, breeding and crossbreeding varieties to make them taste sweeter, grow bigger, last longer. In this way we've transformed the wild tomato, Lycopersicon, from a fruit the size of a marble to today's giant, juicy beefsteaks." http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/food-how-altered/

I know it is the next big scary thing to think we are eating altered foods, but the truth is, we have been doing so for most of modern day Americans' life. If you have children, you have been feeding it do them.

Charolotte, that is the same spiel the global corporations have been, no pun intended, feeding people lately to try to cloak what GMO really is. 

NATURE does not do what these people are doing. It does not put a terminator gene into a seed so that instead of germinating and reproducing normally, it commits suicide. That means, the farmer must go back and buy a new bunch of seeds each time they want to plant. Normally, seeds are combined for genetic diversity and healthier stock, and there are even whole groups dedicated to keeping organic seed stock, because a diverse background is a healthier background.

I'm very sorry but you are wrong on this issue. GMO foods have not been around for 70 years. Nor is it normal to open a seed in a lab, splice in fish genes and bacteria and tamper with it so that it barely resembles food and cannot reproduce.

I really hope you will watch the documentary. There is a reason I posted it. The huge lobbies that want people to believe that nature itself would require a patent, and that it is normal for plants to only respond to one type of pesticide, which also is part of the engineering by the way, result in people not knowing fact from fiction.

PS yes I know we have GMO foods in plenty in stores and so forth. That's exactly what some people are alarmed about. It is not a good thing. At least with labels, people will be able to choose what to ingest. The reason the corporations fear this labeling is because once most people understand what really is going on, they want no part of GMO foods or products.

Cross breeding tomatoes to make them juicier is not the same thing as GMO foods.

In this documentary they say why many soy and canola crops contain GMO now. It isn't because all of those farmers wanted it so. 

What's even scarier is where the fact that a corporation can hold a patent on seeds, the source of life, can lead to. But I'll leave that for people to look into should they wish.

It's a timely issue. The vote is Tuesday.

Vegetarianism is also a worthy cause.

I do wish Prop 37 also included (labeling) meat from animals that had been fed GMO grains, but I guess that would be the next ballot. ;)

As it stands, those animals' meat is exempt.

It's really a bigger issue than moral choices, though. In the documentary they discuss studies which are troubling, relating to the health effects of eating GMOs.

Not to mention, corporations suing farmers and confiscating their crops and seeds and putting gag orders on them. Because unwanted pollen from GMO crops infiltrated those farmers' own property and land, and mixed, even five percent, with their crops. It's pretty difficult to stop that, because pollen travels on wind, and with insects, and birds.

The people standing up against that are heroes in my book.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Vegetarianism is no different than meat eating, the vegetables are alive as well. The point is it becomes a matter as to whose life is more valuable, yours or the calf, or yours or the baby carrot? What makes any one life form better than another?

I guess that's a debate for another day.

I hope everyone, especially California voters, will give an hour of their time to watch the documentary. It is excellent.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

Vegetarianism is no different than meat eating, the vegetables are alive as well. The point is it becomes a matter as to whose life is more valuable, yours or the calf, or yours or the baby carrot? What makes any one life form better than another?

I can answer that easily.. Mine is. Survival of the fittest.

Melita Magic wrote:

I do wish Prop 37 also included (labeling) meat from animals that had been fed GMO grains, but I guess that would be the next ballot.
;)

As Charlotte pointed out, all mass-produced food has been messed with, so whether it has a GMO-free label on it or not is sort of irrelevant, as are vague standards like "organic." Really the only way you have a clue what you're eating is to grow/raise/hunt for yourself, although even then you're either using seeds & animal-stock that are the product of hundreds of years of selective breeding and recent engineering, or you're smacking a salmon over the head that's spent the last few years swimming in oceans full of polluted gunk.

Basically we're all screwed, it's just up to the individual as to how much poison he or she consumes.

Yep, I'm jaded on this issue. :}

We wake up in the world every day and see two evils out there.

Some would say, why are you working to stop evil number one, when evil number two is out there?

That's a devil's argument - it gets you doing nothing.

I say, fight them both where you can, and fight whichever one you can when you can how you can. Just because there is evil in the world, is no reason to give up hope on fighting the evil in the world.

Quite the opposite, never give up, fight them on whatever fronts you can.

Just because you need to wear clothes, and you know some of them were made with slave labor (or you're an idiot in denial) does not mean you should shrug and give up on the environment. Just because you drive a car, and contribute to global warming - but must to live in your society - is no reason to shrug and accept genocide.

I never understand these people who argue "but there is so much other evil out there."

- That is not even the argument of defeat. It is the argument of the devil's tongue.

I'll be voting to get food labeling. Sure, there's a lot of other evils in the world. Sure, there's a lot of other modified foods. Sure there's patents on human life.

So, give up? Become the agent of evil just because evil is out there?

This is one fight I can put my tiny little stamp on, with almost no effort. And if enough people follow that lead, we can make one tiny change in the system.

Look at the weight of history in civil rights - everything we have today, is just the mass accumulation of tiny little victories amidst an ocean that looked like defeat.

Never give up, or they win outright. They may win most of the battles, but that is no reason to concede the rest of them to them as well.

I wasn't born with a spoon of entitlement in my mouth like I presume many here might have been. I clawed my way out of darkness one tiny inch at a time. I've been beaten, I've been robbed, I've been shot at, I've been homeless, I've been hospitalized with life threatening injuries, I've had my family torn asunder, I've seen several of them go into the grave, or worse.

At each step of my journey; in moments of darkness, there've been those there to look at it and say "so, I guess you're life is for nothing now, its all over now." My ancestors, as the native people of this continent, have had it even worse.

But each time, sitting there in the middle of my wounds, I've had the foresight to look around me, grin, and come back with "Not at all, I'm just starting to win this thing."

- Victories don't come all at once in nice little packages with a medal and a ceremony. They take time and bitter trials.
 Sometimes they take generations.

I don't care if something is 'pointless'. If its right, and you can, stand by it.

Its impossible to lose, only possible to surrender.

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

If we are what we eat, shouldn't we eat ourselves? Ewwwwwww!!!

That's approximately what happens when we lose weight. And I don't think we can claim credit for all the eating we do either. The bugs in our gut (all several pounds of them) give us quite a bit of help. We can't thrive on what we can digest directly, so we depend on the bugs to create refuse we can use. In exchange, we give them what they tell us they like to eat. Our appetites are not entirely our own.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

If we are what we eat, shouldn't we eat ourselves? Ewwwwwww!!!

That's approximately what happens when we lose weight. And I don't think we can claim credit for all the eating we do either. The bugs in our gut (all several pounds of them) give us quite a bit of help. We can't thrive on what we can digest directly, so we depend on the bugs to create refuse we can use. In exchange, we give them what they tell us they like to eat. Our appetites are not entirely our own.

No, that is quite different than growing meat made out of our own cells and consuming them for nourishment.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4179 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.