Right before my very eyes...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though I'm truly grateful that we now have the general discussion forum we've asked for since the start of the Lithium based forums, I have to wonder who's brilliant idea it was to lock and hide the feedback forum. Ffs, just yesterday, I posted a pic of hairless cats in the poll ideas thread for everyone to enjoy... now, it can't even be found... and it was terribly cute. :matte-motes-crying:

But seriously, was the feedback forum not useful? If there was one thing that needs a forum of it's own, I think feedback is the one. But I guess it's alright if we post our feedback here in the GD forum as long as the Lindens still pay attention to it.

While I'm at it, I see the Fashion forum was moved to the Creation category. Does that mean it's meant to be taken as a forum to discuss creating clothing as opposed to just talking about fashion? In my eyes those two things are not mutually inclusive.The way I see it, discussions about fashion would be better suited to the My Avatar forum, in which case, the Fashion forum should be renamed Clothing. Maybe that's just me.

Anyway, I'd like give a thousand kudos to the powers that be for finally giving us a much needed general discussion forum. I think this will go a long way toward giving the SL forums the feeling of community which it was so sorely lacking. At least that's my hope.

...Dres

Although those who don't care might do well to STFU, I'll not follow that advice, and herewith have it be known that I don't care.

Honestly, as far as I'm concerned, there could just be the one General Discussions forum for everything.  If somebody started a discussion about scripting, say, or some other topic that strikes my fancy, I might see it and add something.  Or not.

Well, okay.  I guess I'm glad there's an Answers section because it seems to screen out the most tedious and repetitious of easy questions.  And it's good there are Commerce and International sections because both are full of people speaking in strange tongues.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

While I'm at it, I see the Fashion forum was moved to the Creation category. Does that mean it's meant to be taken as a forum to discuss creating clothing as opposed to just talking about fashion? In my eyes those two things are
not
mutually inclusive.The way I see it, discussions about fashion would be better suited to the My Avatar forum, in which case, the Fashion forum should be renamed Clothing. Maybe that's just me.

Agree with this. I think the two should be distinct. Talk about fashion in general under 'People' and talk about clothing creation under 'Content Creation'.

I've always thought we were missing a "clothing" section in 'Content Creation'. Having said that, I suppose some thought needs to be made as to where to draw the line. If we have 'clothing' in content creation then why not 'furniture', 'houses' etc! The way I see it though is that the Content Creation sub forms should cover the main creation tools you get with the viewer as standard - we have scripts, we have textures, we have art & photography (snapshots), we have music (sound) ... we don't have clothing, which is a standard creation tool (Also, as a side note - I would personally suggest that music should remain separate from art and photography, but that's just a personal opinion).

On the subject of Feedback. It's going to be interesting to see if \ how LL recreate that forum. It was a popular forum. However, it also suffered from people using it to expect answers to their problems rather than just giving feedback on the community platform. I do think LL ought to consider a selection of feedback sub-forums, but I also recognise they need to be careful in doing so. The danger is people see them and expect to be able to post and get immediate, official answers to their issues. Itw ould be nice though to be able to give feedback on various areas (perhaps centered around how the User Groups are structured) but make it clear that to get answers to particular problems the proper channels should be used (Answers, support ticket, live chat etc)

Actually, now I've just put the idea in my own head ... I think the idea of a selection of feedback forums based around the User Groups has some merit. It would be an east, convinent place for people to discuss ideas for the various agendas, and for chat transcripts. Just a though :)

Another blunder.

The mainland forum has been moved into the Land category which is otherwise entirely about buying/selling/renting. The mainland subforum is about all other aspects of mainland, social, policy, events, geography etc. It is totally inappropriate to put it in this exclusively commercial context. Since the SL category has gone, it hould be moved into Places and Events.

building + mesh makes much more sense than building + textures

texturing + photgraphy (+ art? + machinima? + Fashion?) makes more sense than... whatever, since they are all image manipulation

animation + sound/music makes vague sense, they're both tiny, and at least have dancing, external creation, and static uploads in common.

why mono2 performance has it's own forum (or for that matter basic mode, which is so limited the only posts are about how to turn it off) is beyond me.... belongs with server (/viewer)

and the noteable lack/closing or anything dealing with webside tech means it'll all get dumped in the (thankfully renamed, kudos) General Discussion forum

the categories in land are still nonsensical... at most there should be 4,,, mainland parcels, estate parcels,whole regions(rent/sale/wanted, let people specify type), and general.

Drongle McMahon wrote:

Another blunder.

The mainland forum has been moved into the Land category which is otherwise entirely about buying/selling/renting. The mainland subforum is about all other aspects of mainland, social, policy, events, geography etc. It is totally inappropriate to put it in this exclusively commercial context. Since the SL category has gone, it hould be moved into Places and Events.

I think its in the right place now. Its not a commercial section its a Land section and it has the Land GD forum there too.

Great job Lexie with the new groupings, it looks much clearer now. Will wait and see if it works better.

But you do get a 164.giffor breaking all my saved links AGAIN!!!!! ....Has this softeware never heard of redirecting URLs???  Aside from it being slightly annoying refinding my personal ones, it has now messed up all those Answers that had useful links in them, so when people use the solved questions for reference they will hit broken links. *facepalm*

oh and I should add that there really should be a website forum under tech.... we have a great many web resources for SL, yet no place they belong, including but not limited to....

secondlife.com (mainsite)
community.secondlife.com (blogs/forums/SLA/knowledgebase)
marketplace.secondlife.com (covvered I suppose)
jira.secondlife.com
wiki.secondlife.com
my.secondlife.com (and ::cough:: world.secondlife.com)
secondlifegrid.net
lindenlab.com

almost none of which are joined in meaningful ways

Peewee Musytari wrote:

But you do get a
164.gif
for breaking all my saved links AGAIN!!!!! ....Has this softeware never heard of redirecting URLs???  Aside from it being slightly annoying refinding my personal ones, it has now messed up all those Answers that had useful links in them, so when people use the solved questions for reference they will hit broken links. *facepalm*

^^This. It really sucks!

FuriousComputer.gif

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4700 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.