[CLOSED] Research on lifestyles (Reward: 10 US Dollars or 2500 Linden Dollars)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear residents,

I am a graduate student in Cultural Sociology at the University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Currently I am writing my Master's Thesis on cyber-lifestyles. I chose Second Life as my investigation site, due to its variety it offers in terms of both the available activities on Second Life, and possibilities for one's identity.

Therefore, I am looking for approximately 20 English-speaking respondents (both male and female) from 18 years and older who fulfill the following requirements:

- Frequent visitor of Second Life, preferably someone who at least participated on Second Life for a couple of months, (almost) on a daily basis.

- Describes oneself as an open-minded person;

- Affinity for visiting or attending public events on Second Life (such as art exhibitions, concerts, etcetera);

- Has a propensity to observe, but also to participate in his or her surroundings;

- Preferably using a Skype account for the interview; but if that is not possible, voice-chat or text-chat in SL itself should be fine.

If you meet with the criteria above and if are willing to help me out, I would like to interview you for a duration of approximately 0:45h - 1:00h via Skype, or probably somewhat longer if the interview takes place via text-chat (1:00h-1:15h)

In return I will be willing to express my gratitude by returning the favour by making a donation of 10 US DOLLARS ($) (that is about 2500 Linden Dollars) to you, or another charity you would like to make a donation to (Planting a tree? Red Cross? Etc.)

If you are interested in participating in my research, would you please inform me by either replying on this thread, or through a PM? Further details can be discussed there.

I want to emphasize that these interviews will be used confidentially and only for purposes of my Master's thesis. Your participation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

A Master's student in Cultural Sociology.

PS) To prove that I am affiliated with the University of Amsterdam, I provided the following link: https://uvasocialsciences.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_agA6LJPzKY352TP

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I most certainly can; I have an account from Qualtrics, a sophisticated research engine that is mainly used for the gathering of quantitative data. This Qualtrics account is linked or affiliated with the University of Amsterdam, which I am a student from:

https://uvasocialsciences.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_agA6LJPzKY352TP

Kind regards.

well, i would have been glad to help you, but no skype for me. If the reason for skype is you need voice, SL have voice aswell... 

Anyway, voice in english is something almost impossible for me.. reading and writing would work, but not talking and hearing it.

Sorry, all other conditions were ok for me, but well, language limits.

Anyway i wish you good luck :smileyhappy:

You are right, I should also consider using voice-chat or text-based chat in Second Life itself, that might be easier for residents themselves. 

The only downside then would be that in this case, as typing is a much slower process, the duration of the interview might increase with a few more minutes perhaps.

But you guys have a good point. I will reconsider this. 

Kind regards.

Writing could be easier for those (like me) who doesn't feel very confident about talking in English instead of writing. You may have an increased time due to typing, but there might be also an increase of time when talking, because of understanding each others accent or searching to find the right words or expressions.

ive talked with Charles inworld... hes someone really nice and he looks really serious about his studies..and yes, hes ok for text chat interview, or he can even send the questions in advance. So the skype, or voice pb is solved. :smileywink: At least for those who are ok to help... other will just have to keep same way as usual :smileytongue:... I informed him about some answers he risks to have in this thread, as usual...

Syo Emerald wrote:

Well, I'm always willing to help :catvery-happy:

and that's wonderfull... pp forget often that helping others or making gift is also good for the person who helps or gifts... However, if they knew the delight it is, they should change their mindset. :smileywink:

Zenephobe wrote:

If a person called VRProfessor responds, please ignore him, he is a hack.

That's one person's opinion.  I personally find VRProfessor's input knowledgeable.

@OP - I am willing to be interviewed as well if the payment can be in linden $.  Have been a resident of SL since 2006.  ARRGGGHH, I meant 2007. (I was thinking 6 years and the number came out in the wrong place...lol.)

Edit: Correct date

CharlesBoudelaire wrote:

You are right. Hence, for that reason I will also include in-world
text-chat conversations. 
You make a good argument.

Offering choices is a good idea.  I'm one who would much rather use voice chat as I can get rather wordy *coughs* and it takes forever for me to type my thoughts.

Oh and I'm volunteering, in case you missed the inclusion in my prior post to Zenophone.

Czari Zenovka wrote:

CharlesBoudelaire wrote:

text-chat conversations. 

Offering choices is a good idea.  I'm one who would much rather use voice chat as I can get rather wordy *coughs* and it takes forever for me to type my thoughts.

Oh and I'm volunteering, in case you missed the inclusion in my prior post to Zenophone.

ahhahahhah Czari..... its late in Europe... before leaving, he told me has to work for his studies and i think he will come back tomorrow... now its time for bed, for reasonnable persons (not like me) in Europe lol....

(anyway, ill remind him about your offer, if he doesnt see it, ill do my interview on sunday :smileywink:)

Ok Charles, count me in as well. Resident since 2007 and kinda sorta fluid in english as long as I don't have to speak it. Sorry, my nederlandse skills are practically non-existant. Also I guess for a scientific interview text based questions and answers are much more accurate and not as easy to be misunderstood as chat.

Your method sounds interesting tho. Most researchers just send out questionaires where we tick boxes with values between 1 and 10. This might prove more flexible.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Czari Zenovka wrote:

CharlesBoudelaire wrote:

text-chat conversations. 

ahhahahhah Czari..... its late in Europe... before leaving, he told me has to work for his studies and i think he will come back tomorrow... now its time for bed, for reasonnable persons (not like me) in Europe lol....

(anyway, ill remind him about your offer, if he doesnt see it, ill do my interview on sunday :smileywink:)

I can always count on you to have my back. *HUGS*  Actually, I did receive a PM from Charles and we are working on co-ordinating a time to meet. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3961 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.