Research Recruitment Notice: Personality Type and Second Life Users

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

RECRUITMENT NOTICE

RE: Invitation to Participate in a

Research Study about Virtual Worlds and Personality Type

Participants are using virtual worlds such as Second Life ™ for a variety of different educational and communication uses. Although there has been considerable research undertaken about virtual worlds this is not the case about the users who choose to utilize them. In particular, there is a gap in research literature about the personality types of Second Life™ residents.

As partial fulfillment of a Master in Counselling Degree, an exploratory study of the personality types of Second Life™ residents is being undertaken; specifically, a quantitative analysis using the Majors PTI™ personality assessment tool, to examine if there are over-representations of particular personality type preferences.  This project has received Athabasca University’s full ethics approval.

The criteria to participate in this study are as follows:

•   Have participated in Second Life™ within the last month, for at least a total of 1 hour;

•   Are 18 years of age or older; and

•   Are willing to volunteer 20-30 minutes of your time.

Participant confidentiality will be maintained throughout the study. All electronic, paper, and related documents will be securely stored and will be destroyed on December 31, 2017.

Career Life/Skills Resources have generously donated the Majors PTI™ assessments being used in this study.  As a condition of the donation, the assessment data will be released to them.  The data will not contain any self-identifying characteristics.

Please visit the in-world landing location at: http://bit.ly/SCygON

If you have any questions about the research study, please e-mail Nancy Tavares-Jones at her internal Graduate Centre for Applied Psychology (“GCAP”) e-mail address (nancy.tavares-jones@gcap.ca) or her external e-mail address (nancytj@gmail.com) by November 30, 2012. 

Sincerely,

Primary Researcher:                                             Research Supervisor:

Nancy Tavares-Jones, B.Sc.                                 Dr. Paul Jerry, R.Psych.

Master of Counselling Student                             Associate Professor & Director of

Graduate Centre of Applied Psychology             Graduate Centre of Applied Psychology

Athabasca University                                              Athabasca University

Thank you so much for the wonderful support so far!  :matte-motes-big-grin:

I'm still looking for a number of participants; it'll take 15 minutes of your time; maximum...and you'll help better educators understand how to make Second LIfe a better place. :matte-motes-grin:

Thank you again!
Nancy

• 11 months later...

A search for the OPs publications includes "Reflections on Identity and Learning in a Virtual World: The Avatar in Second Life".  This appears to have been published in a number of places; possibly the easiest link being http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/at-the-interface/education/experiential-learning-in-virtual-worlds/project-archives/2nd/session-2-indentity-and-self-in-virtual-worlds/

truebluegirl wrote:

Hi all,

Yes, the research study is over and published.  The full Masters thesis can be read here:

Thank you for your interest in the study; it was a phenomenal experience!

Thank you,

Nancy

Congratulations on completing your thesis!!  Thank you so much for coming back to provide the link.  I was one who participated and have used your intial post many times this past year as an example of asking for study participants in a professional manner.

Hello Czari:

Thank you so much for your compliments regarding the thesis.  It was quite the journey, but one that I enjoyed immensely!

I appreciate your comments regarding the recruitment notice.  This type of notice, if vetted through the proper channels (i.e. ethical review boards) should be commonplace.  However, from your comments, it sounds like my posting is more the exception than the rule!  That is quite scary! 

I do appreciate your comments, and will be sure to pass them along to my thesis supervisor; I'm certain he'll appreciate your feedback as well.

Take good care!
Nancy (aka truebluegirl)

truebluegirl wrote:

Hello Czari:

Thank you so much for your compliments regarding the thesis.  It was quite the journey, but one that I enjoyed immensely!

I appreciate your comments regarding the 
recruitment notice.  This type of notice, if vetted through the proper channels (i.e. ethical review boards) should be commonplace.  However, from your comments, it sounds like my posting is more the exception than the rule!  That is quite scary! 

During certain times of the year the forums are inundated with "requests" that boil down to "Will you do my homework for me?"  or just a list of questions posted to answer.  That is why your approach and that of another student who recently completed his theis (CharlesBoudelaire) were (to me at least) breaths of fresh air. *Smiles*

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3864 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.