RT - 'NSA, GCHQ 'planted agents' into World of Warcraft, Second Life to spy on gamers'

Hoshi Kenin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok.. so you don't believe RT because, "They're Russians!" , well, it's time to wake up.  Because it's also CNN that is reporting it, the guardian and ever other quasi reputable news source out there.  The links follow..  

First is The Guardian's website...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/09/nsa-spies-online-games-world-warcraft-second-life

Second is today on CNN....

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/09/tech/web/nsa-spying-video-games/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Oh.. and here's the document that AMERICAN TAX PAYER DOLLARS FUNDED on Propublica.org  http://www.propublica.org/documents/item/889134-games

And... here's the US government's subcontractor's job posting on IARPA.GOV.. http://www.iarpa.gov/Programs/ia/Reynard/solicitation_reynard.html

And oh... just so you know, SL was aware and was kind enough to give the NSA a brown bag lunch discussion.. Quote from The Guardian article; "In May 2007, the then-chief operating officer of Second Life gave a "brown-bag lunch" address at the NSA explaining how his game gave the government "the opportunity to understand the motivation, context and consequent behaviours of non-Americans through observation, without leaving US soil".

But.....   someone has declined to comment on today's news, so you, will have to wait for a reasonable explanation as to why all the money you and I sunk into this game would go to assist the government on spying on us. Quote from the guardian article;  "Microsoft declined to comment on the latest revelations, as did Philip Rosedale, the founder of Second Life and former CEO of Linden Lab, the game's operator. The company's executives did not respond to requests for comment."

Let's see, since September of 2006 I have spent approximately $120 per month, every month.  I rent a homestead sim and have a fashionable avatar.   So, myself, alone, has contributed over $10,000USD to this 'game'.  I for one, would like answers to a few questions.  

#1.. Why was LL assisting the NSA in their search to violate all the privacy expectations that US Citizens and Residents of SL allegedly have? 

#2.. Why are we required to read and understand your TOS that even you don't uphold?

#3.. What future expecations of privacy should we expect?  Because it's apparent that any expectations of privacy we did have are now out the window.  

I'll be waiting for the answers on the sim I pay for.  You can reach me at Nyundo, I'm usually there about 8-12 hours a day. Or my cell number is on record, feel free to give me a ring. 

Thank you.

Xcept Atlas

It's all over the news today. Just Google, "NSA in Seconlife". Then pick the source of your choice. And YES, companies do have a choice as many companies are now telling the Gov't they want less intrusions into their customers privacy. It all comes down to the "buck" for them. Money rules. :)http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2013/12/09/all-major-tech-companies-say-nsa-actions-puts-public-trust-in-internet-at-risk/

They have been in SL forever, it's no surprise to most of us, since some of us do remember the fbi making it known they was in world,  People get so worked up over this, it's really nothing to get worked up over,  it's been the normal, just now people are starting to get freaked out over it and worrying, when it's been happening for long as I can remember and I'm in my mid 30's now.

Xcept Atlas wrote:

Ok.. so you don't believe RT because, "They're Russians!" , well, it's time to wake up.  Because it's also CNN that is reporting it, the guardian and ever other quasi reputable news source out there.  The links follow..  
Xcept Atlas

RT is not to be trusted as the sole or primary source of news, unless it's a press release by the Kremlin. In this case though they seem to have got their facts basically right, no doubt because reality really is stranger than fiction in this case...

Too Silly!

I can't believe that anyone is surprised to know that people employed in either law enforcement or other clandestine operations organizations are here in SecondLife.

I have friends in real life that work in many of these organizations and I know for a fact that some of them use gaming and virtual worlds to relax in and in some cases to perform personal research about. Good grief, many authors [both published or wanting to be published] sharpen their skills here when wanting to include some aspect of Virtual Reality [VR] in their latest creations. Not to get ideas but to make sure that the basics are at least covered in their representations of VR so that they can build on this idea.

So if I were the NSA I would have concluded that:

1) Yes - Any packaged environment communication medium on and off the earth can be used to support clandestine operations of terrorists [and social climbers, malcontents, drama kings & queens, stalkers] - DUH! Additional Note: Did you know you can encrypt this communication to prevent anyone [including the NSA] from seeing [Reading] what you are up to? Even easier is using one off phrases to issue commands [with actionable instructions on the single use cipher pads of old] A method used since the Greeks and never broken.

2) Yes - You can rally people to your cause with ............ words!  [Real Life 101]

3) Yes - You can train the masses in the use of advanced [and not so advanced] weapons. I'm especially good with a virtual bow & arrow! Of course this doesn't apply to the physical world where you need muscle memory to use this knowledge. But it does readily apply to the making of things like b o m b s [and the disarming of said as well]

4) Yes - Drama and Emotions are great methods to direct the thoughts of virtual citizenry in the absence of eye to eye contact where the other social cues can betray purpose of those who listen to them. [spycraft 101]

5) Yes - Sex is a powerful motivator. [spycraft 101]

6) Yes -  Gathering real world information about an avatar account owner can allow you to leverage them to your purposes. [spycraft 101]

7) Yes - You can make a group of people show up en-masse to your cause in the real world [Have you practiced for and joined a Flash Mob lately? Ever thought about it? OMG - I went to a concert that was advertised in Facebook!!! I'm a minion!!!!!!!] [social Manipulation 101]

I can go on and on...... You get the idea.

Stop with your bitchin' and complaining and verbal acts of indignation. Grow up and learn how the world works. Be the minion you want to be! I want to be a Master Minion when I grow Up. :D

P.S. Yeah, I'm one of those unpublished authors still working on a few stories myself.

Damn I better step the security level aboard my new space station to treble red and issue side arms to my crew...I dont want anyone from any security agency stealing the design of my new anti gravity system...

after all its not easy getting the anim and rotation scripts to work properly...

wonder if I can train my rabbits to attack and repel borders......

Maelstrom Janus wrote:

I'll have to increase my number 2's salary to two lindens a week she can fit in being counter intelligence and security office with hovering rabbit poop out of my station's carpets......

But we have compromising pictures and a 3D vid of your #2 with an alien from a antagonizing planet..She's' ours......... All ours!

[ Oops - Evil Minions are not suppose to partake in plot exposition! Drats, only the chief overlord is suppose to do this just before the gauntlet drops.  ]

None of these articles are claiming that Second Life was spying on people or making it easy for government agenices to spy. They ARE claiming that NSA agents created SL avatars, just like normal people do every single day. Are people now suggesting that government agencies and law enforcement should somehow be prevented from creating accounts? How would SL enforce that? Perhaps, the SL registration process should include employment verification. That'll make the game fun.  Furthermore, if you're not plotting some nefarious, real-world terrorist event, you have nothing to fear when another person eavesdrops on your in-world chat.

Hummm well, I remember early into SL meeting some men from the Middle East who told me specifically they were in Second Life to lear everything they could about America. I thought it was an  odd comment, since Second Life is World Wide. After that, I suspected SL was used for other reasons than entertainment and often spoke about this being an easy place to meet up and make arrangements. Especially since LL doesn't save chat, and it's only on our systems, or so that's what i was told.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.