Questions about inventory sorting/storage

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've read a few long posts from earlier in time but I didn't find anything that helped!! So I'm going to ask here which I hope is the right spot.

I currently wear a Belleza Freya body and it's the only mesh body I own. To cut back on inventory, I have been deleting all Matraya and Slink option from purchases, wether clothes or shoes. I keep the Belleza sizes in case I decide at some point to buy one of the other two.

My first question is does anyone think there is a reason to keep the Slink and Matraya items and if so is there a way to store them out of my regular inventory (box or other options??)

Or is there a way that I could "donate" these things to people just starting with those mesh bodies??

I hate trashing them, I've paid for them. But I just can't use them!!

Ruby xx

Place them in a box by outfit then put the boxes in a box called clothing. You might change your mind and get one of the other bodies down the road. Bright Corp has a script that, as long as the items are copiable, you can wear the box and get anything that's in it out without having to rez it out. Then you can delete that box if you like. 

I made the mistake of deleting sizes I didn't think I'd need that now I do with the mesh bodies. It was a pain to get them all back. I wish now that I'd just boxed them up for just in case.

If they are copy and came in some sort of a box that you had to either Open or was scripted to open on rez or when attached, then that box will serve as a back up and you can safely delete the versions which went into your inventory. Don't delete the box though.

Anything that isn't copy won't be in that original box though. Just something to keep an eye on when you're opening boxes.

If you received a folder of stuff (rather than a single box/package), then the safest course is to rez a prim and put all of the bits and pieces into it. The ones you don't want now, the ones you do. Then you will have a backup in case of mishap, like a script malfunctioning, or when you do something different with your main body. Label it with something that will give you a heads up. I append the phrase "BOXED UP" for mine because it's unique. When I see the phrase in my inventory, I know that particular box is my archive copy and probably has my only copies of its contents. The consistent wording also makes it easier to search for things.

After you've made your own backup box, you can safely delete the bits you're not currently using. If you want to further reduce your inventory count, those backup boxes can go into a master back up box.

Don't trash them. Things WILL change, especially with mesh bodies and how rapidly that whole area is changing.

MommysPrincessRuby wrote:

I've read a few long posts from earlier in time but I didn't find anything that helped!! So I'm going to ask here which I hope is the right spot.

I currently wear a Belleza Freya body and it's the only mesh body I own. To cut back on inventory, I have been deleting all Matraya and Slink option from purchases, wether clothes or shoes. I keep the Belleza sizes in case I decide at some point to buy one of the other two.

My first question is does anyone think there is a reason to keep the Slink and Matraya items and if so is there a way to store them out of my regular inventory (box or other options??)

Or is there a way that I could "donate" these things to people just starting with those mesh bodies??

I hate trashing them, I've paid for them. But I just can't use them!!

Ruby xx

Most mesh clothing now arrives in boxes instead of being sold as folders because boxed items work best with redelivery systems. Simply hang onto the original boxes and then you can delete the unused sizes while still being able to get them out of the boxes if necessary in the future.

Thank you all for the great suggestions.

I have been keeping the boxes that most of my VIP Hair and Shoes come in.  Is it better to save those in another box, or just in the folder that I have opened in my inventory?  (Hope that makes sense!!)  And yeah, I think I will start saving the sizes Im not using now.  Throwing them away felt so wasteful, and my grandma would have a fit seeing me throwing all that away!! :D  

Ruby xx

I'd box the boxes if they are something that you may not use for a while, if ever.  I only keep boxes in folder if I think I'll need the contents within a couple of months. And a particular item or outfit in a folder if its something I wear frequently.  It keeps your inventory much cleaner and smaller and therefore easier to use.

Be sure to name each box and boxes inside it something that will be easy to search for and a name you will remember.  For instance for clothes I sort and box per this example: Dresses>Mesh (vs  Non Mesh>Formal (vs Business or Casual)>General style (such as dancing, sit down, cocktails) >(length such as long, mid, mini, if applicable)>Color>then the box with the outfit in it.  In six months if i need a formal dress to wear to an event in a ballroom with a full skirt I can quickly locate one.  If instead I need a formal to wear to a sit down event with a slender skirt, that's just as easy to find.  Once I get to the boxes sorted by color then I can choose based on my mood.  Then I only have a few outfit boxes to decide among and I put a picture in the color box for each outfit box so I don't have to remember the dresses name or open the boxes to see what they are.  The categories you choose to sort under may not be as many or may be different depending on personal preference and how much stuff you are storing away. I have a lot of clothes for all kinds of occasions, as well as a HUGE inventory otherwise as a sim designer, builder/scripter and other types of content creation.  So it's important for me to not only store things in boxes but to be able to find them quickly.

This may seem time consuming but I also keep folders labeled the same way in my inventory that sort and contain clothes that I currently wear or may in a couple months, as well as a similar system for shoes, jewelry etc.  Then when I need to store stuff again it goes pretty fast to load them in the appropriate boxes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2627 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.