Purchasing Lindens with a debit card

SLtesterL2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! I was wondering what debit cards are available to use in SL due to the fact that i wish to keep my paypal account and credit card information on the down low. I have tried a Visa debit card but that didn't. Also, many say that debit cards have a 50/50 chance of working so of course I want something that works 100% of the time and not something I have to signup for etc.  :) BTW please don't send me to the support section of SL im looking for quick straight forward answers from you guys.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

I had used my Mastercard debit card attached to my bank account for several years, and it mysteriously quit working about a year or so ago.  I had to start using Paypal.  I tried and tried to clear it and re-enter information, and it just refused to work anymore.

That's odd - been using the same one for five years.  I'll ammend my answer to "some of us can purchase lindens with debit cards." ;)

SLtesterL2 wrote:

Hello! I was wondering what debit cards are available to use in SL due to the fact that i wish to keep my paypal account and credit card information on the down low.
I have tried a Visa debit card but that didn't. Also, many say that debit cards have a 50/50 chance of working so of course I want something that works 100% of the time and not something I have to signup for etc.  
:)
BTW please don't send me to the support section of SL im looking for quick straight forward answers from you guys.

You have another thread with this same question about billing. I realize you are frustrated but this is a forum not LL billing department so you are going to get varied answers as users are in different countries with different payment options available to them. SOME older accounts were able to use the prepaid V/MC cards but they are no longer accepted for US newer Residents. I am not sure where you are located. PayPal is safe for you to use (I know many people do not like PayPal for many reasons) as your CC or Bank information is never given to the recipient of payment. You do need a verified PayPal account which means linking your PayPal account to your bank, not saying you don't already know how to verify a PayPal account, and as stated in the other thread you don't need to use your bank to fund PayPal account. I have been a PayPal business merchant for 12 years and no matter what I find them to be the safest form of payment on the internet and what most of my customers use to pay. If you dont want to add funds from your bank account to your PayPal account you can purchae I believe "Greendot" refill cards that you can use to add funds to your PayPal, it is one of the prepaid V/MC card companies. I have many customers who use those refill cards and have had no issues.

I agree I do not use my CC, or bank debit directly for purchasing on the internet so you may want to try that with the PayPal and refill cards. Again I am not sure what country or state you are in but I believe that Greendot is in many places, I don't think I can post their # here but I did just find it through Google. The only actually answer you can get for what payment is accepted is calling LL support 800-294-1067 thats for US/Canada. I hope this helps. :)

Are you trying to use a debit card attached to your checking account or a prepaid Visa debit card (not sure if that's the right term, but the kind of card that's not attached to your accounts).

I don't have any experience with the prepaid kind but I signed up with my debit card attached to my bank account and have bought lindens adn had no problems.

• 2 years later...

I used a paypal account for years but that stopped working this summer for no reason.

I tried re-activating that account without success.

As to pre-paid debit cards LL charged the card $1 twice for which I got nothing in return,

So they are fine with taking money from the account but not so much providing any service for it.

Rhonda Huntress

Advisor

Re: Cannot buy lindens with Visa debit card but LL did manage to charge me $1 twice

Reply to JGearsworth Daines - view message

Pre-paid cards and even some debit cards will not work with SL.  The $1 transaction is the first test of a valid card.  The next step is to return the dollar to your cards account and this is where pre-paid cards fail.

For what it's worth, the 1$ charges are only a hold. They will be released in about 3 days.

Advisor
distel2.png

Re: Cannot buy lindens with Visa debit card but LL did manage to charge me $1 twice

Reply to JGearsworth Daines - view message

it can be me, but when LL states clearly " Add a Credit CardAdd a PayPal account, or Add a Skrill account." why on earth people keep trying adding debit cards and giftcards....

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3102 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.