Project Sansar-Content Creators

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I know that this is not the way to do it.....however I will take the proverbial shot in the dark.

It is stated that content creators will be invited for the beta, I myself would like to be one of those few chosen, how  would I go about it? I have been here since 2004 as Asri Falcone and was basically forced out but thieves which ruined my business. The full story is still available on Netflix in the documentary "Life 2.0". This describes in better detail the circumstances that lead to the loss of my character and business. I have been creating content quietly ever since on another this av, waiting for this new world opportunity, I would sincerely like to be involved but I am at a loss on how to proceed. Is there any advice that can be offered in this case?

Well presumably you have the link to the application form. If not, it is here: https://www.projectsansar.com/creatorpreview

"Word on the street" and pragmatic insight suggest that only highly skilled creators (possibly well acquainted with many disciplines) will be chosen. Since it has been stated officially many times that folks working in Maya will be the ones first invited with other 3D modelers possibly added later, that seems like a pretty big criteria -- the Maya thing with a good looking portfolio and or a good sales - exhibition record.

It also seems that you need to have a well-defined project to work on to be heartily considered.

Only the Maya part of this info is official and of course that might have been changed. But unless you are up in the top tier and perhaps with a few "teammates" I suspect your chances are very low.

Patience is a good thing :D.

My suggestion is to have a look/listen to the latest information released to see if you think applying for the upcoming closed beta is right for you.  A significant number of things have changed over time.  For example, the invitation only alpha required Maya.  Applications recently opened for the upcoming closed beta.  This closed beta is supposed to be open to a number of programs.  I think the creator would need access to something that can generate .fbx.

I would certainly have a listen to the latest Drax Files Radio Hour (show 114:  ebbe) if you haven't already.  It's around 30 minutes long and goes into some detail about Project Sansar, including about the application process.  There's also a Lab Chat this Friday at 10:30 am.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Sansar is not like SL... requires mid-high end PC and VR set and fast connection. Before you try to jump in you may want to test your PC workstation with http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910 other than that scripting for Sansar will be C# which has a higher learning curve than LSL ... for the most part if your PC is not ready and/or don't have VR set prepare yourself by saving side cash to upgrade or buy a new workstation.. it will be worth it on the long run..

Gusher Castaignede wrote:

Sansar is not like SL... requires mid-high end PC and VR set and fast connection. 

Sorry, but that's incorrect according to all LL's public pronouncements on the subject.

That said, it may be that content creators would want that kind of graphics power in order to assess their creations under VR, so it doesn't hurt to remind them that some of the market for Sansar products and experiences will be VR headset-equipped, but it's also important to note that Sansar is expected to support mobile platforms too, lower-powered than the average used for Second Life, and (last I heard) those would be supported at Sansar launch.

For the foreseeable future, the mobile market will swamp that of VR headsets (especially as the trade press reports headset sales have leveled-off at a disappointing level -- already? or just for the moment?).

Qie Niangao wrote:

Sorry, but that's incorrect according to all LL's public pronouncements on the subject.

Yes but they said that about SL too, didn't they? ;)

I have no doubt that LL today has a far more realistic view on this matter than they had 10+ years ago but even so, they do seem to contradict themselves a little bit there. The sum of all we've been told so far is: In Sansar you can both have your cake and eat it.

Only time will show what are facts and what are exaggerations.

Qie Niangao wrote:

That said, it may be that
content creators
would want that kind of graphics power in order to assess their creations under VR,

Not necessarily content creators but their clients maybe. To quote Terry Partchett, "what every true artist wants, really wants, is to be paid." Hobbyists create for their own sake and they can afford a little bit of ... is "pretentiousness" too rude a word here? If you do it for a living you can't really afford much of that; you have to accept the fact that whoever pays the fiddler calls the tune.

Qie Niangao wrote:

but it's also important to note that Sansar is expected to support
mobile platforms
too, lower-powered than the average used for Second Life, and (last I heard) those would be supported at Sansar launch.

The question is what kind of support. We have text-only client software for Second Life too and there doesn't seem to be any reason why Sansar can's have that basic support right from the start.

It's trickier with graphics. Software can be written to handle 3D content more efficiently and 3D content can be better optimized than what is common today, even outside SL, but there is a limit. Cutting edge 3D technology is a very competitive field and I think it's safe to assume that the big names are all working hard to push those limits. I don't actually doubt that Sansar is pushing them further than anybody has managed before but as far as I know there is nothing to suggest they've made any sort of quantum leap in performance.

And even if they have, those images will still have to be rendered on a screen big enough or close enough to your eyes and with high enough a resolution there's actually room for all those details. Can a smartphone provide that? Keep in mind that Ebbe has already said that they don't consider smartphone-strapped-to-your-head style VR headsets as an option of Sansar.

Qie Niangao wrote:

For the foreseeable future, the mobile market will swamp that of VR headsets (especially as the trade press reports headset sales have leveled-off at a disappointing level -- already? or just for the moment?).

Ebbe predicts a hockey stick curve for VR headset sales. He may be right, he may be wrong but I don't think anybody in their right mind ever expected sales to skyrocket right from the start.

ChinRey wrote:

And even if they have, those images will still have to be rendered on a screen big enough or close enough to your eyes and with high enough a resolution there's actually room for all those details. Can a smartphone provide that? Keep in mind that Ebbe has already said that they don't consider smartphone-strapped-to-your-head style VR headsets as an option of Sansar.

I charmed Santa for a Daydream View and I gotta say, it's pretty gorgeous with my Pixel XL. Unfortunately Daydream+Lumiya is pretty difficult to navigate - probably because the interface was designed for Cardboard so it doesn't make much use of the handy wand controller thingy. I have used Lumiya in non-VR mode on the Pixel with a handy bluetooth keyboard and it's certainly tantalizing. The resolution is way higher than my 1920x1200 monitor, but even at max eye-candy, Lumiya leaves out a lot of graphics features.

It would be very cool if Sansar were designed to take advantage of all the graphics power packed into these current (and upcoming) flagship phones.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.