Prim limits

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Everything has limits.

In a game the game designer can not fill up the scene. It has to stay playable for non super computers. In SL we have 1000s of non-game-designers. Hardly imaginable that this will work without limits.

Another thing is that LL wants to make money and more resources for a sim means they can squeeze less sim servers on a physical machine. More costs.

The only thing you can think about is if the present limits are correct. They are there for over 10 years. With serious competitors around I can imagine that limits would be 10 times higher or prices 10 times lower but who knows. :)

Nova Convair wrote:

Everything has limits.

In a game the game designer can not fill up the scene. It has to stay playable for non super computers. In SL we have 1000s of non-game-designers. Hardly imaginable that this will work without limits.

Another thing is that LL wants to make money and more resources for a sim means they can squeeze less sim servers on a physical machine. More costs.

The only thing you can think about is if the present limits are correct. They are there for over 10 years.
With serious competitors around I can imagine that limits would be 10 times higher or prices 10 times lower but who knows.
:)

But the definition of "prim" has completely changed over the years. The revised land impact accounting means you can have double the number of simple prims you had before, and I've just bought a couple of two-"prim" mesh lounge chairs that would be ten times higher in "prim count" and look very sad with legacy prims, and probably at least two to four times higher using sculpts. These mesh loungers also hold together visually much better than the equivalent sculpts. (Not all would, of course.)

There's nothing I love more then pushing a creative tool to it's limit's, that's when it takes real creativity to over come the limitations. It's easy to just add more prims to make some thing look better, much harder to find a creative way to do the same with less, and I like that challenge.  For example the largest object you can currently make with the default building tools in any viewer is not 64m, it's around 121m, this only works with some shapes.

For me, I don't think the prim count effect creativity of creating individual objects, but I do think the cost of land effects my creative in larger projects.  For my personal use I've found the best compromise in SL between cost, space, prim count is a 1/8 to 1/4 homestead. 

On an other grid I have 10 sims with 100,000 prims each. The prim count  hasn't changed my creative process for building individual objects, but the extra space sure helps with building citys, and landscaping, and being able to create 256m prims, and linkset that reach over several sims allows me to do things I can't do in SL.  The biggest creative limitation with that much land/prim count is time.

Most of the limitations in SL for LI and link set rules can all be over come with some creative use of scripting.  Which is why I had to learn scripting in the first place.

What I really wonder is what is the impact of prim count on the economy, if we had cheaper land with more prims,  then would people shop more to buy more things to put on their land, and more people would likely have land to put things on

Lexia Moonstone wrote:

What I really wonder is what is the impact of prim count on the economy, if we had land with more pims,  then would people shop more to buy more things to put on their land?

Interesting thought - boost the inworld economy by inflation ...

But are Californians Keynesian? 

PersistentDigger wrote:

Lexia Moonstone wrote:

What I really wonder is what is the impact of prim count on the economy, if we had land with more prims,  then would people shop more to buy more things to put on their land?

Interesting thought - boost the inworld economy by inflation ...

It's not really inflation, it's not increasing the amount of  $ available, it's giving people more reasons to spend $.  There's only so many trees you can put on a 512 lot. 

Sound like this is  LL plan for the NGP, all so on the other grid I'm on every one has  land,  people selling landscaping items make the most $ so looks like it might be working there.  Of course this only applies to items you rez.

It''s not a limit you can rez out per se but a limit to how many you can rez on a sim in a parcel. Those are set by LL and sim limits. 117 per 512 sq meters. That's a hard limit and really can't be changed. I have land in 3 different sims and have quite a bit rezzed out. 

PersistentDigger wrote:

Hollywood certainly reflects his recommendation to the UK government that they should pay half the unemployed to dig holes and the other half to fill them in again.

Alec - a good Economic theory

Three different views on this:

1. Endless possibilities is the death of all creativity.

2. Whether the actual prim limit makes sense today is an open question. If I understand correctly, the purpose was to keep the sims from being lagged down by too much content. But none of the big lag inducing factors are actually included neither in the old prim count nor the modern LI calculation. Then again, maybe the reason why LI doesn't affect lag is that it is so strictly controlled.

3. With modern building methods - not just mesh but also sculpts, larger prims, alternative physics shapes and, above all, the collective experience gained by builders throughout the years - the prim limit really shouldn't be a problem on a full sim parcel. Unless you fill up your place with old prim heavy freebies and/or poorly made mesh, you should run out of space long before you run out of prims.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.