Premium perk nonsense

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/A-New-Perk-for-Premium-Subscribers/ba-p/2917357

GO PREMIUM TO ENJOY 50 OFFLINE IM'S INSTEAD OF 25 BEFORE CAPPING.

This has to rank as one of the biggest scams that LL has attempted to push as a "premium subscriber  benefit".

I will continue to save the cost of premium membership by sending IM's to email and not even being capped at 50.

That's just beyond funny.

Raven Snowfall wrote:

I must be doing something wrong, then. I have my offline IMs sent to my email too, but they are still being capped.  Is there another setting you have to toggle too, to make this happen?

The IM's themselves get capped as before but the message goes to email.  You get the message and don't miss it, that's the point.  Reply to it from email.

I'd heard that they were hoping to add incentives for Premium membership, and that something about offline IM retention would be a new Premium perk, but I'd assumed it would just be one item in a long list of new features.

I never expected them to announce anything so stupefyingly insignificant all by itself.

Which makes one wonder what's wrong. Is it that Premium adds so little revenue to the Lab that they can't justify linking anything very valuable to it as incentive?

(Actually, though, I think we know this isn't the only perk planned: every Premium is supposed to get their own Experience free of charge. So now I'm wondering, could it possibly be smart marketing to dribble out these perks one at a time like this?)

Qie Niangao wrote:

could it possibly be smart marketing to dribble out these perks one at a time like this?

This would be a bizarre choice considering how well-documented userbases criticism of changes to SL services has always been. Offering each perk one at a time like this clearly only adds fuel to this fire. Releasing them all at once might actually add up to an 'incentive' to join Premium, but drip-feeding just gives us the very predictable opportunity to shoot them down as they leave the flight deck.

I'm sure there'll be more, but I really hope they take their time over planning these changes to the Premium offering. This is the first time Premium users will ever get better service quality than regular users (historically for strong reasons). Cowboy stunts like this don't inspire confidence in diverging from the existing - successful - paradigm.

Mmm, buzzwordy.

Maybe that explains what the "improvements" were/are:

• This is a server maintenance project
  • New features:
    • Internal improvements for premium users

LINK

This does remind me of back when the Group Limit was 25.  There were many people who said they would go Premium if a perk was more groups.  

But if this is enough to tantalize people to upgrade to Premium......................All I can say is "unreal."

Qie Niangao wrote:

I'd heard that they were hoping to add incentives for Premium membership, and that something about offline IM retention would be a new Premium perk, but I'd assumed it would just be one item in a long list of new features.

I never expected them to announce anything so stupefyingly insignificant all by itself.

Which makes one wonder what's wrong. Is it that Premium adds so little revenue to the Lab that they can't justify linking anything very valuable to it as incentive?

(Actually, though, I think we know this isn't the only perk planned: every Premium is supposed to get their own Experience free of charge. So now I'm wondering, could it possibly be smart marketing to dribble out these perks one at a time like this?)

As a basic member I know I pay at least, if not more, to LL in the form of various fees and commissions than a premium member that only pays a premium fee minus their cost of the benefits premium members receive.   LL doesn't provide any extra benefits to me so I probably represent more profit to them.  If you also consider tiers on private regions I've paid over the years then its far more.  I bet I am not the only one either.

Out of curiosity, what is meant by 'their own Experience'?

Sassy Romano wrote:

This has to rank as one of the biggest scams that LL has attempted to push as a "premium subscriber  benefit".

I will continue to save the cost of premium membership by sending IM's to email and not even being capped at 50.

They should have saved that blog post for April 1st  :womanlol:

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

They should have saved that blog post for April 1st  :womanlol:

That's when they will announce Second Life is closing.

Yeah, it's useless. I think most people won'tl care or even benefit from it. Most of their perks are pretty lame and long time users just shrug when they hear about them.

A premium account can pay for itself plus in land tier and the $L stipend for individuals. Anyone registered after 2006 gets $L15,600 (value around $60) and $60 a year value in tier which is $120. A premium account is $72 a year, so if you own land you get $48 more value a year. Paying quarterly costs $90 a year, so still ahead. Paying monthly, you don't make out at all.

If you don't need the $L stipend you sell it off and use that to offset or pay for the cost of additional land you own, or go towards your next premium membership fee. I know lots of people who own 1024 parcels who do just that. I also know people who make lots of money in-world who covert some of it to USD and pay for a premium account because they come out ahead, economics-wise.

SL really can be an ecomonics game. You have to do the figures, add them up, and play it just right. ;)

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Sorry, I only just now saw this question. By "Experience" I mean these things.

The challenge is explaining why you'd want one. Without some products using them in ways that benefit from a landowner having their own, it's kind of abstract, I realize, and not sure how to help make it more concrete.

They are, however, desirable, for a variety of uses.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Sorry, I only just now saw this question. By "Experience" I mean

The challenge is explaining why you'd want one. Without some products using them in ways that benefit from a landowner having their own, it's kind of abstract, I realize, and not sure how to help make it more concrete.

They are, however, desirable, for a variety of uses.

"Experiences" seems like a good idea to me. I remember visiting places like Greenies and thinking it would be so much more fun if it could reach out and grab me, rather than feeling like a hands-on museum.

;-).

I couldn't agree more!  Do they really think it's a good idea to make people pay for premium membership to get something that everyone should have had a long time ago?  Also, with as many groups are out there to join, we should all have the ability to be in 75 groups or more and not have IMs  capped.  These should be standard features, not premium.  Just because of things like this, I would never pay for premium membership. It's more like coercion than a premium incentive. Holding things hostage that should be standard features, just isn't cool.  

Qie Niangao wrote:

Do you mean a free Experience Key? That's like giving someone a free BMW key... without the BMW.

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

Do you mean a free Experience Key? That's like giving someone a free BMW key... without the BMW.

Kinda. But the marketplace of Experience-based products is *completely* unformed at this point. It may turn out that a free Experience Key is more like a key to a BMW dealership.

Suppose you want to create portals that seamlessly link parts of your SL empire: walk through this door and be transported to this other space. As one does with a portal. Duh.

Anyway, if you acquire one class of portal, it comes already installed into the vendor's own Experience, which you must grant permission to operate on your land, and you don't need your own Experience key. With that arrangement, an avatar who has already agreed to participate in that vendor's portal Experience will be able to use your portals -- but that won't let them use any other Experience-based stuff from other vendors that you've put on your land.

If, on the other hand, you choose the other class of portal, you install it into your own Experience, for which you must have your own key. ("Install into" an Experience means re-compiling the script with that Experience selected.) Now a visitor must agree to participate in your Experience -- but then can do anything using your Experience without being interrupted to grant permissions again.

There are a variety of things besides portals that can use Experience permissions to enhance and simplify a visitor's interaction with your space. An Experience also comes with "Key-Value Persistence" storage -- a kind of primitive associative database -- that can eliminate dependency on external servers for a wide range of personal and commercial uses in SL. If you want to keep your KVP data private, you'd want your own Experience key.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

Kinda. But the marketplace of Experience-based products is *completely* unformed at this point. It may turn out that a free Experience Key is more like a key to a BMW dealership.

Suppose you want to create portals that seamlessly link parts of your SL empire: walk through this door and be transported to this other space. As one does with a portal. Duh.

Anyway, if you acquire one class of portal, it comes already installed into
the vendor's
own Experience, which you must grant permission to operate on your land, and you don't need your own Experience key. With that arrangement, an avatar who has already agreed to participate in that vendor's portal Experience will be able to use your portals -- but that won't let them use any other Experience-based stuff from other vendors that you've put on your land.

If, on the other hand, you choose the other class of portal, you install it into
your own
Experience, for which you must have your own key. ("Install into" an Experience means re-compiling the script with that Experience selected.) Now a visitor must agree to participate in your Experience -- but then can do anything using your Experience without being interrupted to grant permissions again.

There are a variety of things besides portals that can use Experience permissions to enhance and simplify a visitor's interaction with your space. An Experience also comes with "Key-Value Persistence" storage -- a kind of primitive associative database -- that can eliminate dependency on external servers for a wide range of personal and commercial uses in SL. If you want to keep your KVP data private, you'd want your own Experience key.

Well, that's neat enough, but who will be attracted by this perk? Premium membership doesn't offer enough land to rez a BMW (unless it's less than 117 prims), let alone a BMW dealership that you must buy in kit form, then stock with cars, all with money from your own pocket.

At this moment, the value of that BMW dealership key to me is... negative. It's just another useless thing in my overcrowded purse. it might not take much extra explanation from you to change my mind, but that would probably have to wait until you could give me a couple links to cool experiences I might offer to visitors to my house.

i am not in the experience beta. I have been trying to keep up with the news via the blogs, but is not clear to me

is the experience key tied to land at this time?

or can I make a experience script for myself that I can make to act only on myself anywhere on the grid?

would be quite good this. Is lots of examples and I just use this as one of them

like for personal navigation/portal huds and attachment huds. For example can automagically change our outfit when our vehicle changes as we travel

like a vehicle that is a motobike when is on the road and changes to a boat when it goes on the water (which can be done now). When it changes then our outfit can change. Say our bike helmet to pirate hat and vice versa 

+

i think (i guess really) that personal experiences like these will be more used/popular than land-based ones. Land-based experiences will be popular as well. Just that i think/guess that in terms of use numbers, personal ones will be greater if this is enabled/allowed. I just dunno if they are  

it might not take much extra explanation from you to change my mind, but that would probably have to wait until you could give me a couple links to
cool experiences I might offer to visitors to my house.

Cool experiences? That would certainly be a change of pace.

Hot in here.jpg

I'm reading that blog post now. And got a question not directly related to capped IMs.

One benefit is "exclusive gifts". I'm a premium member but I never seen any of those. The members gifts I've been offered have all been useless garbage so poorly made even a compulsive hoarder like me wouldn't bother to pick them up. Is there some special Premium Plus membership you need for the exclusive stuff?

A higher limit for IM capping is good of course. The problem here is that it's hardly big enough to justify its own blog post. If LL made it a habit to introduce one new feature of that size every day, or even every week. Then it would add up to significant improvements over time.

Experience keys for all premium members. Hmmm.... I can see several potentially serious implications here. Mr. Linden Labs, if you happen to read this, are you sure you have thought this through properly? Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first in the queue to pick up mine when they become available, it's just that I'm not sure I want everybody else to have them too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3300 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.