Premium perk nonsense

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ChinRey wrote:

Experience keys for all premium members. Hmmm.... I can see several potentially serious implications here. Mr. Linden Labs, if you happen to read this, are you
sure
you have thought this through properly? Don't get me wrong, I'll be the first in the queue to pick up mine when they become available, it's just that I'm not sure I want everybody else to have them too.

I'm certainly not "Mr. Linden Labs" but FWIW, my take on this is that the "free to Premium" implies "only available to people who have given us current payment information, one way or another" which somewhat limits the exposure.

As far as risk to the general SL populace: It's essentially impossible to do anything with Experience permissions (currently) that's much more than temporarily confusing, with an emphasis on the "temporary" because it's easy to opt-out of a once-joined Experience when using a viewer intended for an Experience-enabled grid.

There however may be a concern with resource use, specifically with the Key-Value Pair storage, once every Premium is using it as their own private associative database. We'll see.

(Oh, regarding "exclusive gifts" -- something can be "exclusive" and still be junk. I have used the little railroad push cart thing, and stolen repurposed some animations and maybe sounds from other gifts, but yeah: being no-mod, they're all crap.)

Qie Niangao wrote:

I'm certainly not "Mr. Linden Labs" but FWIW, my take on this is that the "free to Premium" implies "only available to people who have given us current payment information, one way or another" which somewhat limits the exposure.

Will LL also willing to take it away from people who try to abuse it?

Qie Niangao wrote:

There however may be a concern with resource use, specifically with the Key-Value Pair storage, once every Premium is using it as their own private associative database. We'll see.

Oh, I'm sure the SL servers are powerful enough to handle that. Shouldn't be a problem at all!

Actually, my first thought was about sailors and pilots and other travellers having to accept a new experience key for each and every parcel they pass through.

And of course, that lovely new search function they've made especially for experience key isn't really dimensioned to handle lists as large as that. Strictly speaking it's not even an effective search function for the number of experience keys we have today.

Qie Niangao wrote:

(Oh, regarding "exclusive gifts" -- something can be "exclusive" and still be junk.

Maybe they mean "exclusive" as in "rare". Build an item so badly hardly anybody will want to keep it and it soons become very "exclusive" indeed.

Edit:

I have to say that even though I joke and complain about all the ridiculous premium memebership "benefits", I'm still quite happy to be a premium member. There are more than enough actual benefits in addition to all the silliness and with a yearly subscription it hardly costs anything at all once you've deducted the weekly stipend from the membership fee.

The live chat support alone is worth the price and more. The guys there are the stars of LL, always helpful, friendly and professional.

And one often underestimated benefits: Imagine a house where you can be left in peace, all by yourself. No neighbours, no intruders, no passer-bys no other avatars at all for sims around! That's what you get when you choose a Linden Home. No, I'm not joking! I know it wasn't meant to be that way but it is and it is great for those moments you want to be left alone.

You guys are so ungrateful. I actually saw the blog post and thought, YAY!!! That tells you how little we get for paying our premium. I really don't know why I still pay it. It literally would not change a dang thing if I cancelled it. Hey, maybe when they start paying us instantly, like Ebbe talked about, it will be a premium feature. Then, I'll be dancing the jig while you sorry suckers are still waiting. :smileytongue:

Crossing my fingers, just so I can not feel cheated every time I pay it.

ChinRey wrote:

Qie Niangao wrote:

Will LL also willing to take it away from people who try to abuse it?

(Sorry it took me so long to notice this thread again.) Apparently the answer is a firm "yes." They're very prepared to disable Experiences that don't pass muster. Or at least that was the word I got at a server user group when I asked about an idea of temp-attaching the "garlic necklace" script to every participant in an Experience.

(The intent was to spare newbies the shame of spampire bites, and to keep the dirty spamps' fangs to themselves -- but on further reflection, such a practice would also feed even more avatar data to Big Brother Bloodlines, so it was a bad idea anyway.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3279 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.