Premium Membership 512 Land Included?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok so, I've had my Premium on this account for several years now, and I have a Linden Home.  I just got Premium on one of my other accounts tho, and just want to clarify something, to make sure that it hasn't changed.

Use to, you could choose either a Linden Home, or a 512 plot on mainland at no extra cost that comes as part of your premium membership. Is this still accurate?  

So, if I choose no to have the Linden Home, and I go find a 512 plot on mainland and purchase it, the tier won't be any extra charge to me, and is included as part of my membership, correct?

I just wanted to clear this up to make sure this is still, in fact, true. I was reading some of the wording, and it made it sound like premium memberships only include the linden home, and if you get a 512 plot it's extra cost. So looking for clerification. Thanks :)

What you say is still true.  You have to purchase the mainland for whatever the seller wants for it, but once you do, the monthy tier will be included in your premium membership.  There will be no extra charge.

Note that you will be billed for tier though if you own more than 512sqm for even one second during the previous month.  So if you want to purchase mainland, you must abandon your Linden Home prior to actually buying the land, if you don't want to pay the $5.00US for the extra 512sqm of land that you'd be billed if you don't.

If you have another account that is premium you can form a group with your alt and have your alt donate their 512sqm of land to the group and buy a 1024sqm parcel, and not have to pay tier on it.  Also group owned land can own 10% more land for no extra tier.  So your group can own up to 1126sqm of land tier free.

Form the group first then buy the land for the group rather than just as an individual.  It will be an option when you click the 'Buy Land'. 

Unlike Linden homes, any house you put on your land will count towards your LI allotment, whereas a Linden home does not.

Amethyst explained it all really well. Take notice especially of the need to abandon your Linden home before you buy a plot of land, or you will be charged for the extra plot in the first month.

The extra 10% for group-owned land is good, but not easy to achieve with small parcels. E.g. if you abandon your Linden Home and buy land for the group, as Amethyst suggested, you can have a plot of 512 + 51 (= 563) - 1126 for 2 premium avatars combined - but where are you going to find such a plot. It's easy if you start with a bigger plot - paying tier, of course - and cut it back to the right size, abandoning the rest, which is exactly what I did a few weeks ago. I'd had just about the whole sim and, through the years, cut it down until I now have only a 560. 560 because the quantum length for land is 4m.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Amethyst explained it all really well. Take notice
especially
of the need to abandon your Linden home
before
you buy a plot of land, or you will be charged for the extra plot in the first month.

The extra 10% for group-owned land is good, but not easy to achieve with small parcels. E.g. if you abandon your Linden Home and buy land for the group, as Amethyst suggested, you can have a plot of 512 + 51 (= 563) - 1126 for 2 premium avatars combined - but where are you going to find such a plot. It's easy if you start with a bigger plot - paying tier, of course - and cut it back to the right size, abandoning the rest, which is exactly what I did a few weeks ago. I'd had just about the whole sim and, through the years, cut it down until I now have only a 560. 560 because the quantum length for land is 4m.

Another trick for dealing with the difficulty of finding exactly the right size parcel is to join a tier brokerage group. These buy up excess tier (pay to have someone donate tier to their group) and sell it to those in need (donate tier for a small weekly fee). They make a profit from the difference between the price they buy and sell at.

So in your example, someone looks for an 1126m plot, but the one that suits them best is 1200m. Rather than pay for the next level of tier up from LL, they buy (technically, rent) the excess 74m from a broker. The one I use charges 0.25L$/sq.m, so that would only be L$19 per week.

Since you have two premium accounts...

It is very easy to find cheap 512m land, and moderately priced 1024m land. The 10% benefit is very nice, but people very rarely cut land in sizes like 560 and 1120m - though I have owned land in these sizes.

Often even in nice locations - depending on your needs that is (if you want land with water or on a cliff prices go up dramatically, but roadside is as cheap as unprotected in many places).

G- rated land and A-rated land tend to both be more expensive than M-rated land (but G-rated land is hit or miss: some of it is very low priced and some of it can be quite expensive. I think this depends on how well isolated away from M-rated it gets. There are 2 mini G-only continents that I know of, and they both tend to be priced higher; west Bay City and old teen-grid).

- Picking the right rating for your needs is very important. It shapes not only what you can do, but what you can expect your neighbors to plop down beside you (you aren't going to get a sex-club next to you on G-land, but you can pretty much expect it on A-land. And on M-land your neighbors might be nudists, and you have the option of joining them. But on G-land if you're naked in your private skybox at 4090m up for a half second while changing clothes and have visibility turned off... you can still be reported for a TOS violation).

But be warned: shopping for land is SL can be quite addictive... :)

I have to be careful opening that map with the 'show land for sale' thing ticked... or I get tempted to move... :)

Lastly: if you get land in an area that has a special angle or theme of some kind, look through SL groups and see if there is a group for that region / continent / etc. Sometimes these groups are great places to make new friends, like the ones for Bay City and "East River" (the sims near "Whinlatter").

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.