Post-Apocalyptic Virtual World

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've played SL on and off since 2008, and recently have begun to loose interest in it.  SL seems to have devolved into a Post-Apocalyptic Virtual World, to quote the article below, which seems pertinent.

http://www.businessinsider.com/second-life-today-2014-7 (based on a search, this article never was discussed in these forums, oddly)

It seems that SL has devolved into a bunch of people shopping or standing around in groups, or dancing endlessly in clubs to bad DJs or worse live performers.  In fact, dancing to bad DJs for hours is so tiresome, that clubs have started having 'theme nights' so that you are encouraged to dress in themes to dance for hours to bad DJs.  There are also small RP communities and lets not forget the prostitution trade, which seems an ironic but profitable sideline in SL. 

Standing

Dancing

Prostitution

Role Play

Of course there are the people creating and selling stuff to the masses who are standing or dancing around (horizontally or vertically)... and the majority of those people will be responding to this post, and not responding thoughtfully i fear. 

As a game, SL has little replay value and has an extremely high learning curve.  SL is also a F2P game that is P2W in the sense that you can play for free, but in order to have a sucessful AV, you must pay. 

So, why hasn't SL died completely? Good question. Or is SL in the midst of a slow and painful decline?  

Opinions?

alicie425235 wrote:

So, why hasn't SL died completely? Good question. Or is SL in the midst of a slow and painful decline?  

It really doesn't matter, does it?  And if it does matter to you, then why?  Linden Lab is a business, and it runs SL as a business.   Why don't you stop counting their money.  And an even more egregious act is that you are counting my money.  Don't preach to me where and how to spend either my money or my time.

SL satisfies the needs of certain people. Those people will remain involved, even if what they are doing is, figuratively, stealing each other's washing. 

Some people like the challenge of a steep learning curve.

Dancing, role-playing and prostitution have made a lot of people a lot of money. Don't be surprised that they keep SL afloat. 

Free-to-play and pay-to-win (if I decoded your post correctly) are enormously popular and financially successful models in game design. See my previous point. 

The article you link to seems to be saying that SL remains popular despite a drop in media attention. I don't see that as a bad thing (although it might not be accurate).

Don't like it? No-one's forcing you to stay.

SL is exactly what you, me and any other person wants it to be, within the technical limitations. But if you lack imagination, communication abilities, curiousty, the ability to learn skills, a certain degree of creativity and if are not able to develop some kind of sense for black humor paired with explorer mentality, and if you do not appreciate some kind of "digital art brute" it´s not for you. There are enough alternatives, which are targeted onto the pure consumer crowd, where everything is nice, tidy, clean and will not disturb your prrecious bodily waves. Even within Second Life, ironically. There´s simply more in the picture than meets the eye.

Regarding this article: It´s only a reflection of the average newbie experience, unfortunately. But on the other hand "business" journalists writing on subcultures or artwork aren´t a serious source of information.

Troll indeed. If that's all they see in SL, they've either not ever even used it, nor tried to find out what can be done in SL. I'm not a fan of LL, nor really a huge fan of SL - if it'd be gone tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear. That being said, in SL I've never stood around anywhere, don't like dancing in SL, never even visited any prostitution sim or had virtual sex or even virtual kink (which I and also law do not consider prostitution btw), not done terribly much RP.

Seriously, if people think that's all SL is they've never used SL to begin with. Spent one day in SL and thinks what one user tells them is gospel? Pffft.

heraldprophet wrote:

Why all the doom and gloom regarding the apocalypse. It will be wonderful.

It might be a bit of an anti-climax. Tescos bought the Four Horsemen's steeds and made them into the aforementioned hot dogs.

Which not only will make them late arriving (qv SL V2) but has already negated Famine's powers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3263 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.