Possible name for SL2?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Someone over at SLU pointed out that Linden Research has applied for 2 new trademarks...

Sansar

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86593259&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

and Project Sansar

http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86593254&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch

Could Sansar be the name for SL2?

It wouldn't be that far fetched since Sansara was originally considered as a name for Second Life.

Nice find! I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions though. It could be an internal name or some other project not related to the new SL. I'm not familiar as to the significance of the name Sansara to LL. I think a mainland area is named Sansara. It doesn't look like they own the websites yet.

Bree Giffen wrote:

Nice find! I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions though. It could be an internal name or some other project not related to the new SL.

In the "Goods and Sevices" section of http://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=86593259&caseType=SERIAL_NO&searchType=statusSearch we can read;

For:

"Computer services, namely, hosting an on-line 3D virtual environment featuring a wide variety of user-defined subject matter and hosting an on-line 3D virtual environment featuring a wide variety of user-defined subject matter that may be accessed by means of communications networks; design and development of multimedia and three dimensional virtual environment software."

"Sansar" means "World" in hindu (Indian language) and "Marten" in turkish language, and who knows what else. However, if it´s truly related to the so called next generation platform they pretend to develop, why the hell can´t they pick up some truly next generation name instead?

Ah well , anything is better as "SL 2.0".

They should call it, BOOBS. Because when guys first start playing that's all most of them look at is boobs. So my vote is for BOOBS. And ladies it has the potential of increasing the male population on SL even. SO there is a benifet to this name. I can safely say speaking for most men on the planet, I'd play a game called BOOBS. lmao!!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Its named Sansar because apaprently Indians are doing alot of work in it as they did in SL, Agni Aditi are also indian names that SL servers? have, but why the name should have been something totally different and not related to any culture.

Was there a need for SL2 could SL not have been improved, especially all those outdated Linden continents and mainlands, with no sense of aesthetics, the term anything goes is so apt to those.

I see this move as Irresponsible by Linden Labs. They couldn't just try to improve and make SL better before even thinking of wanting to make a new virtual world? I see so much potential SL could have that Linden Labs has not pounced on from what I've seen in the past 10 years off and on. It'd be almost like building a new house because you don't want to clean the old one.

I'm sortof glad there'll be a new virtual world and there's a hundred questions I could throw about now about how it'll be like. But, now is not the time to as we only have barebones still as to what to expect. However, that doesn't stop me from thinking that this is an irresponsible step Linden Labs has taken.

Coby Foden wrote:

LordHappycat wrote:

It'd be almost like building a new house because you don't want to clean the old one.

Sometimes it is more sensible to build a brand new house than trying to renovate an old badly designed house.

Sometimes it's more fun to blow up a caravan and camp in a tent.

• 2 weeks later...

Linden Lab's CEO Ebbe Altberg just publicly announced the offcial name for the next generation of the virtual world created by LL will be for now Project Sansar and the final name will be TBD.

They - Linden Labs - don't want to encourage the SL 2.0 name as it may suggest "too many assumptions about how similar or how linear the progression from SL to this new platform will be". Also because SL and this new platform - Project Sansar and in the end TBD - will be functioning "side by side for a long time" so it's to avoid any confusion on users part.

This news - and some more details - where announced at the SVVR 2015 - Sillicon Valley Virtual Reality Conference & Expo in San Jose, CA.

You can watch the presentation on YouTube here, his presentation starts at 39 minutes mark

• 5 months later...

Dresden wrote:

immortal420 wrote:

TBD means "To Be Decided".

Thank you 420, I'm sure Zoe would appreciate this if they were still around.

...Dres  (Or at least the irony of it.)

Perhaps 420 should look up what zoetic means?

***Call me if you would like to contact Zoe; we are members of the same anti-social network

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.