Organizing Your Inventory

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Sheesh. I just spent about 45 minutes organizing my inventory. I feel so much better though. How about you? Do you bother with organization? I can't imagine people who have played for years and years and love to shop, and all those gifts and freebies! 

I have 3,423 items. How about you?

i'm here for 9 years and delete everything i don't use, so it's pretty clean :)

since a few years the amount of items is around 15.000 ... sometimes a little more , sometimes less.

When i hear how huge some inventories are mine is very small..

When i get new things they move from received items directly to the folder i want it to be... jeans to jeans, shirts to shirts, tanks to tanks.... and so on..

but sometimes when digging in the object folder there still are little surprises..green sick horses and double items :)

Alwin Alcott wrote:

but sometimes when digging in the object folder there still are little surprises..green sick horses and double items
:)

Once upon a time I had a folder under objects called !Objects.  I would move everything into the sub folder so I could see what new stuff I had and needed sorting, categorizing or dumped.

I am rather sentimental so don't delete things others might and after 6 years I am hovering around 65k. I am super organized and things are in sets by year and season I bought them or opened them. Then I have sub catagories for things by type or brand. I have quick wear folders where I keep my current fave things and huds. I have unopened hunts in folders by year and type, that goes for shopping events with large sets of gifts as well. Then there is the messy part, all the awesome things I opened right away just sitting un sorted underneath all my folders and my out of hand object folder. I have not been on as much for the last 2 months and it has just built up. I blame Fifty Linden Friday!. Can you tell organizing my inventory is one of those things I really enjoy in SL.

ps I bet 10k or more of that is nests and such from several brands of breedables I did as well, almost forgot about those things.

Do you guys find you are very similar in how you accumulate items in real life and SL? I find I am very similar in both. I'm a pretty big minimalist in real life, and I see that it has spread to my SL persona as well. 

Now that you have inventory organised if you keep it organised it won't be too bad to manage. At one time I had over 10,500 items. I am now down to 8,656 items. Every once in a while i do clean out things i dont use or baught at one time and found it to be crap. The way I have my inventory done is I have folder for cloths then sub folders for clothing type. I also have a vehicle folder with sub folders. IT helps to have the subfolders it makes things easier to find if you know what catagory its in.

When I get a new item of clothing i remove all the other mesh body versions, the standard mesh size versions, the landmarks, notecards,etc. Its easier to just pull out the one clothing item I can use and any hud needed. Then I can toss it into a folder for the shop I bought it from. 

I do something similar, only with more folders. For example, my Clothing folder has subfolders like shorts, pants, tees, long shirts, and jackets, as well as a Don't fit/don't wear folder for other sizes or items that I might use in the future but won't be worked inti an outfit. Similarly, my Objects folder (which is a dumpster fire) has a Rez Archive folder for backups, a temp folder for product images and notecards before deleting them, and a Shopping bag for items I've bought but haven't figures out where to put them.

As for numbers, I'm somewhere around 15 or 20 000, IIRC. But I'm only a year old.

My inventory is organized, I used to not care, but for the most part I keep it that way now. I don't so much use a million folders, though I do use some. I tend to box things up and then folder the boxes. That goes double for all breedables, of which I have more than I care to count, most being years and years old at this point, haha.

My inventory sits right around 100-125k now. (yes, you read that number right)

It used to be well over 500k, so, I'd say it's as organized as it's ever going to get, lmao

I'm a builder, and lover of many breedables, I tend to hoard things, hence why I box things up. If I didn't box things, my inventory would be well over 300k, organized. 

For anyone curious, no, that number does not affect my performance in sl, it hasn't since 2009-ish, when I started using a different graphics card(on my old system, sparky, and it's even less of an issue on the system I have now. 

In rl, I don't so much hoard as I do save to re-purpose....like loads of stuff. My kids do too, though. In fact my son just yesterday turned a defunct and un-fixable vcr into an rc car.

i am pretty ruthless with my inventory. If I find I don't wear or use something very often I file them under Delete (:

is some things that I get which I am pretty sure I will use/wear when I can find some other things to go with it, but if after a time I don't find those things then file Delete. I probably got more accessories than any one other category of stuff, then shoes/boots after that

my inventory never goes much above 7,000 items (including Library) mostly tho I get all ruthless and stay at about 4,000. Clothes-wise I maybe got 20 outfits max at one time. But even then I purge them pretty constantly also. So about 7-10 complete outfits really mostly

+

i am the same in the RL. If I dont use stuff or wear it then is off to the Sallies with them. If the Sallies dont need then I put outside on the footpath with a sign that says FREE. It always goes pretty much every time

I wish I had 20 outfits. For a long time I wore the same thing everyday. I recently got a mesh body though and so my clothing options have gone up. I'm up to three pairs of pants and probably six tops now! No shoes though and no jewlery. I seriously walk barefoot everywhere because I hate coordinating clothes and accessories lol

Nalytha wrote:

IRL, I own four pairs of shoes: 

Pumps for work

Sandles for most days

Tennis shoes for most days

House shoes

Should I have my girl-card revoked?

Nah, you can keep it. I don't own many shoes either.  I have one pair of sneakers for everyday wear, one pair of sandals,  and one pair of old sneakers that I use when a lot of dirt or mud is involved, lol. . I'm not fond of shoes in rl, and I'm even less fond in sl(my av doesn't wear shoes in sl unless I have to)

I get my Viewer to hide the LL library and that clears heaps of junk and delete any demo stuff  or unneeded things.

I always make category folders with sub category folder of creator   for things like hair  and when I buy something it goes straight in that or I forget it. 

For clothes I just used organised outfits usually numbered or using keywords. For most things I use often I just remember it.

That additional received items addition to the inventory menu has been a godsend for finding things too.

Before I actually joined SL, I had read a book called "Second Life: The Official Guide."   One chapter that stood out for me was the chapter on inventory management.  So I knew that from the very start, my inventory was something I wanted to keep a very tight handle on.

I've bought a LOT of stuff in my 18 months on SL.   Anything that doesn't get used daily remains inside a very intricate, but logically organized system of nested storage cubes.

That system looks something like this:

-->  Backups

• Animations
  • Clothing
  • Furniture
  • Homes
  • Jewelry
  • Random
  • Vechiles
  • Weapons

I've disciplined myself to immediately organize a backup of a purchase as soon as I purchase it, and that keeps things organized.  That's one reason I detest No-Copy items so much if there isn't a real reason for it to BE No-Copy, as it just throws a wrench into the works.  I've gotten good at dealing with it though.

For sure, it's a fair amount of work, but it keeps things organized.  I know where everything is.  I have virtually everything in SL I could possibly want  (until Pamela Galli comes out with another house that catches my eye  LOL), and my inventory sits below a cool 3500 :matte-motes-big-grin:

(edited for typos - there must always be a few of 'em!)

I haven't been that active in the past couple of years and mine is still around 60k..

That's after my last genocied of my stuffs..

I was like,I'm not even gonna look in these folders and just toss them in the trash and clear it..

I don't even know if I remember the crazy system I had going at the time..

Have you ever just wanted to highlight it all and just drag to trash and cleasr it?

I have..hehehe

But I know there would be a lot of regret right after when i started to remember the stuff that i really loved..

So that usually stops me ..hehehe

Inventory is like the pain in the butt that you just can't help but love and hate to the end..:matte-motes-nerdy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2847 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.