Official Resources?

Void Singer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sy Beck wrote:

Void Singer wrote:

I had a thought to compile a list of official resources, available from Linden Lab, as a go to source for official information regarding problems one might encounter in SL.

The list I'm attempting to compile is of only the LL direct sources, since most of the informal sources (such as these forums) are fairly well known and often suggested, but not everyone is aware of all the official sources...

so to jump start this list, I'm going to throw out some categories, and populate a few of them, and would welcome any suggestions for Official LL Resources only (which I'll do my best to update into this post)

UPDATED Dec 16, 2:58 PM (PST)

Information on current events and changes within SL:

Basic Information and Common questions:
  • (A twitter account that redirects users to the likeliest resource)
  • (a collection of preformated questions and answers on a variety of topics)
  • (collection of video detailing how to do many basic tasks and showcasing SL content)
  • (only some information found here is official)

Basic support:
  • (something to get you started if you are new to SL)
  • (can't save your payment info? got overcharged by LL, go here)
  • (AKA
    Support Portal
    , for problems that you are personally experiencing, should be logged in if possible)
    • (must be premium member and logged into the website, limited hours)
  • (find out about known bugs, possible workaraounds, and keep updated on the ones important to you)

Active Focus Groups:
  • user group (meets on beta grid [aditi] focuses on upcoming features and fixes)
  • user group (meets twice weekly on main grid [agni] focuses on current server limitations and workaraounds)
  • user group (meets weekly on main grid [agni] focuses on scripting bugs and new features)
  • user group (meets week on main grid [agni] focuses largely on mesh)
  • user group (focuses on webside resources for SL)
    - Closed

I only gathered some of the obvious links, it could used fleshed out with contact phone numbers, emails and other direct LL supported resources (one in which an employee of linden lab either directly answers, or can point you to the correct resource)

Tired of seeing this bumped so as it can be seen residents new and old alike in preference to the stickied, and less informative LL support at the top?

Here's a little tip.  Did you know that you too can sticky your favourite posts or useful posts such as this one to the top of your page?  

PIC 1, 
Simply go to the top of the page and click "TOPIC OPTIONS" and then select "FLOAT THIS TOPIC TO THE TOP"

Void

PIC 2,
 Then when you return to the forum front page you will see that your thread has now been stickied to the top for easy access.

Void

*bumping

• 2 months later...

Void Singer wrote:

I had a thought to compile a list of official resources, available from Linden Lab, as a go to source for official information regarding problems one might encounter in SL.

The list I'm attempting to compile is of only the LL direct sources, since most of the informal sources (such as these forums) are fairly well known and often suggested, but not everyone is aware of all the official sources...

so to jump start this list, I'm going to throw out some categories, and populate a few of them, and would welcome any suggestions for Official LL Resources only (which I'll do my best to update into this post)

UPDATED Dec 16, 2:58 PM (PST)

Information on current events and changes within SL:

Basic Information and Common questions:
  • (A twitter account that redirects users to the likeliest resource)
  • (a collection of preformated questions and answers on a variety of topics)
  • (collection of video detailing how to do many basic tasks and showcasing SL content)
  • (only some information found here is official)

Basic support:
  • (something to get you started if you are new to SL)
  • (can't save your payment info? got overcharged by LL, go here)
  • (AKA
    Support Portal
    , for problems that you are personally experiencing, should be logged in if possible)
    • (must be premium member and logged into the website, limited hours)
  • (find out about known bugs, possible workaraounds, and keep updated on the ones important to you)

Active Focus Groups:
  • user group (meets on beta grid [aditi] focuses on upcoming features and fixes)
  • user group (meets twice weekly on main grid [agni] focuses on current server limitations and workaraounds)
  • user group (meets weekly on main grid [agni] focuses on scripting bugs and new features)
  • user group (meets week on main grid [agni] focuses largely on mesh)
  • user group (focuses on webside resources for SL)
    - Closed

I only gathered some of the obvious links, it could used fleshed out with contact phone numbers, emails and other direct LL supported resources (one in which an employee of linden lab either directly answers, or can point you to the correct resource)

Tired of seeing this bumped so as it can be seen residents new and old alike in preference to the stickied, and less informative LL support at the top?

Here's a little tip.  Did you know that you too can sticky your favourite posts or useful posts such as this one to the top of your page?  

PIC 1, 
Simply go to the top of the page and click "TOPIC OPTIONS" and then select "FLOAT THIS TOPIC TO THE TOP"

Void

PIC 2,
 Then when you return to the forum front page you will see that your thread has now been stickied to the top for easy access.

Void

BUMPING for newcomers.

• 1 month later...

Great idea. Should probably be a regular thing and I'll try to remember from month to month if I've seen it. Hard to quantify someone's importance but I'd be hard pressed to think of anyone's presence here I miss more (and I know a great many others feel the same way) and I'm just talking about the People Forums: I know her greater contribution was to Scripting.

There was a recent thread about food; a lot of people posted saying what they would or would not eat, etc. I enjoyed seeing so many varied responses. Reminded me of a much older thread Void responded to that had to do with food—eggs, specifically—and she commented on how she liked her scrambled egg sandwiches. I had thought (and do think) of her as one of the most interesting and exotic people I've ever run across: practically the epitome of cool. I expected to hear about some home baked rye or something, but no: white bread and mayonnaise was the only combo she'd allow :-).

• 1 month later...

So much for mental notes. When Perrie necro'd this back in June I made one to come back a month later and repeat the process—missed by a couple of weeks. I was reminded of this today; there was a comment or two about Void as well as the suggestion of creating a sort of Forum FAQ (not about the forum, about the questions that get asked so often) so this seemed like a good time to put this back in front.

Someone else gets next month :smileywink:

• 1 month later...

With the decimation of the JIRA and the new bug reporting system I'm posting these updates to this thread.

You can read about the decimation here:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Tools-and-Technology/JIRA-Update-Changes-to-The-Bug-Reporting-Process/ba-p/1660981

To report bugs we use this form:

https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/CreateIssue.jspa?issuetype=1&pid=10610

To comment on the new system, use this form:

http://lindensurvey.force.com/support/JIRASurvey

TBH, I am of the impression that the use of any inflammatory language in a report will get it ignored. So what ever your thoughts are regarding the parentage of any of the Linden's may be, it is probably best to keep them to your self.

See below for updated info:

Perrie Juran wrote:

With the decimation of the JIRA and the new bug reporting system I'm posting these updates to this thread.

You can read about the decimation here:

To report bugs we now use this form:

To comment on the new system, use this form:

TBH, I am of the impression that the use of any inflammatory language in a report will get it ignored. So what ever your thoughts are regarding the parentage of any of the Linden's may be, it is probably best to keep them to your self.

WTF?  Am I stupid or is the new system not searchable?

...Dres

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Tyros note that while this Swiss Penknife thread is becoming out of date (don't start petitioning Rod Humble on his Twitter feed, you won't get much joy) it is largely accurate and potentially of much assistance.

Who knows, reference to these resources could mean that the General Discussion forum might not be bogged down with inappropriate threads asking for assistance in preventing their pets from starving to death.

Lemme ask ya's a question LlazarusLlong:

When you call a company to obtain some form of customer service, and their delightful automated system offers you seven different options NONE of which seem to fit your trouble, which one do you choose?

Answer: The General - None of the Above Apply - Category

When people come here and are confronted with the list of forums and they do not understand what is going wrong with their stuff, when they need customer service or at least a helpful suggestion or idea, where do they post?

The one forum that seems to apply to everything, is the catch-all, and has the most activity. The fact that starving pets show up here is to be expected!

The MODS are the ones with the power and the responsibility to toss threads into the right forum. (And get rid of those daggone "moved" artifacts that serve no fricking purpose whatsoever.)

As long as this has been bumped I'm updating.

First, the JIRA is no longer "hidden."

A submittter has the choice to make there report 'public' or 'private.'

You can read about the changes here:  LINK

Additionally, while feature requests can still be submitted via the JIRA, LL has also introduced a 'suggestion box.'   You can read about this here:  LINK

Suggestions can be submitted here:  LINK

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Lemme ask ya's a question LlazarusLlong:

When you call a company to obtain some form of customer service, and their delightful automated system offers you seven different options NONE of which seem to fit your trouble, which one do you choose?

I NEVER choose an option.

I always hold, silently, until a human answers.

Those multiple option systems ALWAYS have a default to a human for those who don't have touchtone phones, or who are dumb (physically, not brainlessly) so they can't use voice recognition systems. It would be discrimination otherwise.

So I get to talk to someone by doing nothing.

(If I was dumb as in brainless, I would select Answers from the SL options, obviously, since that is what I want.)

Darrius Gothly wrote:

(And get rid of those daggone "moved" artifacts that serve no fricking purpose whatsoever.)

Agreed, except that would require the mods to inform the op (as a minimum; all contributors to it should really be advised to avoid confusion and frustration) that they had moved the thread, which I believe is NOT currently part of their duties.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.