Official (?) Changes To The Abuse Report Categories

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ar old.JPGThe old categories

ar new.JPGThe New Categories

A comment in another Thread just prompted me to look.  But LL has (finally) updated the AR categories in the Official Viewer. 

They have certainly 'streamlined' the categories but some of it makes me scratch my head.

For instance, sharing IM's has been removed.  Does this reflect a change in policies and/or enforcement? 

While updates were long overdue, and some of these are welcome improvements,  this seems to have gone way overboard.

My operating theory would be that they're hoping to make it less confusing and to aggregate reports - it should never really be on the end user to determine the difference between L$ Fraud and Pyramid Schemes (as one example).

It is worrying that the terms have been dropped (rather than aggregated) - one would expect that Harassment and Disclosure (further examples, there are others) would become super-categories (absorbing their children), not that other types of harassment would be omitted.

It's also possible that they're looking to limit the types of event they encourage reporting - if people don't know that sharing IMs is AR-able, will they report it (regardless of the wording of the ToS/enforcement)?

Best case scenario (Highly improbable! One step below impossible!) is that more complex cases will get their own support method that isn't based on Abuse Reporting.

The cynic in me says that, as concurrency continues to fall and resources are pulled from SL to support "The Thing After SL™", this is simply an attempt to reduce the number of ARs filed each day. SL is both paying the bills and creating them. You could imagine Ebbe watching the erosion in revenues, and the pressure that creates to hurry up and get TTASL™ on the air.

Norton Burns wrote:

You now just put it under Fraud. 

The categories are broader... as mentioned, 'pyramid scheme' was a bit of a tight one to define...

Are they broader?  I'd say they are actually narrower.

What we have always done however is told people to choose the closest thing.

It would help if the OFFICIAL RESOURCE was updated.

It still states:

1. Click Select category and choose a category. If you don't see a category for the particular incident you're reporting, use Select Category > Other and explain in the Details field.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Filing-an-abuse-report/ta-p/700065#Section_.2

There is no longer "OTHER."

Sometimes you can make things more confusing by oversimplifying like has been done here.  Yes, I know we are supposed to use our best logic.  It would help if LL used theirs also. 

mikka Luik wrote:

Can see some rationalisation was perhaps needed but onder what happens if I file under one of these now (latest Singularity)

ar cat.jpg

Perhaps this accounts for claims of 'unaswered reports.'  They've been falling into a black hole.

I will promise however to stop licking my fingers.

Good. The less AR options the better. Waste of LL's time. Verbal abuse should never have been down there to begin with - if crybabies can't be bothered to click Mute, they deserve it. Also, who doesn't share IMs? You all do, don't pretend otherwise. Shame about gambling, but hey ho, that's the State's encroachment into our daily lives summed up perfectly. 

I'd go further and make the only 2 AR'able offences Fraud and Child Diddling. Free up LL to actually do something useful instead of wading through neurotic, pointless complaints. 

TundraFire Nightfire wrote:

Advert Farms/ Visual SPAM is gone. I've noticed it creeping back on the mainland lately. Groan :womanmad:

But there is still the "Other" category available. And in the "Report Abuse" window there is the "Details" field where one can fill in the details. It might be even easier to AR now as there is no need to wade through lots of categories when searching for suitable one.

Coby Foden wrote:

Advert Farms/ Visual SPAM is gone. I've noticed it creeping back on the mainland lately. Groan :womanmad:

But there is still the "
Other
" category available. And in the "Report Abuse" window there is the "Details" field where one can fill in the details. It might be even easier to AR now as there is no need to wade through lots of categories when searching for suitable one.

Look again.  "Other" has been removed.

It's not the reporting part of Ad Farms I'm worried about but the reemergence of Ad farms if the Lindens are no longer enforcing that policy.

I had a parcel in Cliffoed surrounded by Ad Farms years ago.  I was so glad when the Lindens decided to clean up the mainland.

I guess that mainland is so largely deserted/abandoned now that adfarms, if they pay tier, are being welcome again.

That new AR form sucks btw. You know that no bureaucrats do anything about a report that has been filed under the wrong category.  Unless it's super-serious, chances are that AR's that don't tie to the category they are reported under get axed.

i've used it a couple of times that i can remember and it's worked..both times for me  they were pretty quick,but i've heard sometimes they can take awhile for anything to happen..

Just have to stick to the details and keep emotions out of it and give as much proof as possible..

They don't need copy and paste of logs, because they can get untouched logs from their own database from just giving dates and times and locations.

As well as they will only look at screen shots from screenshot taken from the AR screenshot button..

Also have to file it under the right section as well..

Pamela Galli wrote:

I see that IP violating behaviors are now evidently unreportable. And I was thinking of ARing the POS who copied 4 of my houses and took them to Inworldz to sell. I guess now they get medals for that sort of behavior.

AR-ing is never the proper response to copied/stolen content.  File a DMCA - that's the only legal recourse.  In this case you'd have to file it against the Inworldz resident.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3472 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.