New premium perks (or lack there off)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I apologise if there is already a thread on this, but i just logged into the website and saw this in the news section :

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Featured-News/A-New-Perk-for-Premium-Subscribers/ba-p/2917357

Thanks!!! thats EXACTLY what we wanted as an extra perk to premium membership. Dear god i will run out right now and buy myself a years subscription...... or not.

Now, whilst i understand that this would be handy for business owners and others who find their IM capped a lot, it is not exactly what i would call a 'perk' that would attract more people to purchasing premium...

If Linden Labs really want to increase the chances of someone purchasing premium then how about raising the free land allowance to 1024 - 2048? or possibly increasing the stipend to 500L a week?....NOT adding 25 messages to the cap limit... that is a poor poor poor ass show. Bordering on pathetic. Seriously, i know the lab is developing a new world an all but they needa take their heads out of their rears where SL is concerned. GIVE US SOMETHING DECENT..... So sick of rip off premium prices that are just simply not worth it unless you buy land directly from the lab.....its much more cost efficient to just buy the lindens and rent a small parcel...if you bother to take the time and look you can aquire yourself a 512 size piece of land and buy 1200L from the lab for less than what they charge you for premium.... Then again if they did increase the land allowance or the stipend its guaranteed they would raise the prices...in their eyes....to match the new offer....

I don't quite follow the calculation.   Premium membership costs $86.40 a year but for that you get not only the tier paid for a 512 plot but also L$300 a week x 52 weeks = L$15600 stipend, which is about US$60.00, I think.  

So, in effect,  you're getting the 512 plot for ($86.40-$60.00 = $26.40/52 =) about 50 cents a week, or L$120 or so.    Plus you get access to Live Chat Help, which can be useful (not always, I know) and premium sandboxes, which are generally a lot quieter than are the public ones.

The tier isn't a lot of direct use if (like me) you prefer private islands but you can then do what I did, and buy premium membership for a couple of alts, too, form a landgroup to buy a decent sized plot, and either use it for a shop (which my business partner and I do) or rent it out to someone.   

There are many nice features of premium. Its why I keep 4 premium accounts (down from 5 actually).

25 more IMs is not that useful of one - if you're going to get capped at 25, its probably because 103 have been sent since your last login...

I "believe" even capped IMs get emailed to you (not sure though)... and if so, the better solution is using an email address that is only used for SL, so that you can just scan that for anything that might have been missed.

But as for premium... I find value in all of the other features. If they were to add more, a higher IM cap would not be on my list of requests. But it was probably one they could toggle on with little change to the system... so they did. It didn't factor into why I went premium, so there's not much reason to complain about one more little hidden perk just because its not relevant to me personally.

heraldprophet wrote:

His IMs are never capped. They are all around you, one only need open their eyes to behold the message.

Erm, the problem is that most of the participants in this forum are so illiterate (qv this thread's title) they might be able to see the writing on the wall, but they can't understand it.

LlewLlwyd wrote:

heraldprophet wrote:

His IMs are never capped. They are all around you, one only need open their eyes to behold the message.

Erm, the problem is that most of the participants in this forum are so illiterate (qv this thread's title) they might be able to see the writing on the wall, but they can't understand it.

I'm beginning to  think a few can't even see the correct wall to begin with. :P

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3286 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.