Neil. Sox Fans. Sweetness.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm officially a fan of a British football club: the Stoke City Potters. I don't know a thing about British football, but I'm a Stokie nonetheless. Their most charming quality is that their fans sing the old Tom Jones song 'Delilah' at every match. The thought of 40 or 50 thousand mildly potted Potter fans belting that out has always made me smile.

If you're a baseball fan you know that the Boston Red Sox fans sing "Sweet Caroline" in the 8th inning of every home game. Because of what happened at the Boston Marathon, stadiums across the country introduced that song in the days following—they even did it Yankee Stadium.

Satuday's game at Fenway Park got an unexpected boost. Neil Diamond decided to fly to Boston and see if he could be part of the 8th inning sing-along. Not surprisingly, he was welcome. He looks pretty good, too, for a guy in his early 70's. I thought this was pretty damn special.

ps: I'm not a Red Sox fan (although we are all of us Boston fans right now). The team I support won the World Series last year. In fact, they've won two out of the last three :-).

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Neil Diamond decided to fly to Boston and see if he could be part of the 8th inning sing-along. Not surprisingly, he was welcome. He looks pretty good, too, for a guy in his early 70's. I thought this was pretty damn special.

ps: I'm not a Red Sox fan (although we are all of us Boston fans right now). The team I support won the World Series last year. In fact, they've won two out of the last three :-).

Ok, I have to confess, that I don't know much about sports, or Neil Diamond.   But, for a guy in his...70's, yes, he looks good. 

More importantly, I think is that he sounded great!       That was a very cool thing for him to do.    : )

I have a guitar in RL. (my 5th electric/acoustic or something).

When I was little I used to browse through our ancient record/vinyl collection.

One of those was a Neil Diamond album where he has a certain brand of beautiful guitar :)

That is the brand of guitar I have now owned many of.

Thank you Neil, thank you sooo much! :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

edit: certain not certian

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

My sister was their with her fiance.

It was awesome, He is awesome, We are awesome.

Stay Boston Strong.

Wow, how cool for your sister. It really looked like one of those moments nobody ever forgets.

I may just take advantage of that t-shirt offer, too.:smileyhappy:

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I'm officially a fan of a British football club: the Stoke City Potters. I don't know a thing about British football, but I'm a Stokie nonetheless. Their most charming quality is that their fans sing the old Tom Jones song 'Delilah' at every match.
The thought of 40 or 50 thousand mildly potted Potter fans belting that out has always made me smile.

That thought made me smile too - because Stoke would die to get "40 or 50 thousand" fans in the ground. They probably get about half of that.

You may have to change your allegiance soon because Stoke are currently struggling to avoid relegation. They'll probably manage it but it's a struggle for them.

Unlike the major American sports, football in the UK (and in most of the world) is divided into divisions, with several clubs being relegated to the next division down each year, and several being promoted to the next division up. Being relegated from the top division, which Stoke is trying to avoid, is a disaster because such clubs lose the tens of millions of £ a year that the top division pays them, and it's unusual for a club to get back up in a hurry. They often slip further down the divisions, and it can be a great many years before they are even contending to get back into the top division again. It all makes the latter part of each season much more interesting because there are many very important matches at both ends of each division.

You'll need to keep your eye on Stoke for the next few weeks, as the season comes to an end. At the moment 2 clubs will definitely be relegated, barring miracles, and Stoke is one 5 clubs trying to avoid being the 3rd to be relegated. (3 go down each year).

Change my allegiance? Bah! I'm no front-runner. The teams I follow in baseball and football (American football) are the same two teams I've followed all my life, through good (occasionally VERY good) and bad (frequently VERY bad).

It's a lot easier to be a Stokie, since I rarely see how they're doing. They only recently moved back up to Premier anyway, didn't they?

So you've been a Stoke City supporter for a long time? That's fair enough :)

They got back into the Premiership some years ago, and they've done very well to stay there. Promoted teams often do very badly - straight back down - that's what will happen to QPR and Reading this time. This is the worst season that Stoke has had since moving up - in terms of battling to stay out of the drop zone (bottom three), that is.

I have only been a Stokie for a couple of years or so. There was a frequent forum poster who was a rabid very ardent Stoke City fan and I kind of became a supporter on her behalf. Nevertheless, the Potters are my club and they'll remain so. One should never be fickle about such things. They are the oldest Premier League club, after all.

Plus it means I get to sing 'Delilah' really loud.

Edited in honor of the occasion :-).

I didn't know that Stoke are the oldest club currently in the Premier league.

I've always had a soft spot them though, and I was pleased to see them get promoted to the premier League. The soft spot is because Stanley Matthews played for them when he finished playing for Blackpool. He was so good that he was still playing top division football at 50 years old, which was unheard of then, and has been unheard of since then. If you've never heard of Stanley Matthews, look him up on Wikipedia.

I've been a Liverpool supporter for decades. Unfortunately, Liverpool have slipped a little in the last few years. They are currently #7 (out of 20) in the Premier League but, for Liverpool, that's bad.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I have only been a Stokie for a couple of years or so. There was a frequent forum poster who was a rabid Stoke City fan and I kind of became a supporter on her behalf. Nevertheless, the Potters are my club and they'll remain so. One should never be fickle about such things. They
are
the oldest Premier League club, after all.

Plus it means I get to sing 'Delilah' really loud.

Well, didn't I pick a good day to make my random bi-annual appearance! :D

I never knew I'd converted you Dillon. You must have just started converting to the Mighty Rip Roaring Potters as I was deciding to slip away quietly from SL. How long *has* that been anyway? Nearly 2 years, I think (apart from me sticking my nose in every 6 months or so to be a sarcastic little shi .... oh wait ... it's been a long time ... there's swear filters here right?! ;) )

Anyway, it maks me all warm and fuzzy inside to know I've converted you :D It's also great to hear that you're not a glory hunter (or 'front runner' as you say). Was I really 'rabid' about Stoke though? Not as rabid as I was about cheese (and Tory bashing) surely?! :D

As Phil says, we're kind of battling to stay in the Prem this season, though I'm 90% certain our win against QPR last week will be *just* enough for us to stay up on goal difference. I certainly don't want to rely on that though and at least a point tomorrow will make me breathe more easily (a win and I'd be prepared to say we are *definitely* safe).

Our awful run of form since Boxing Day (when we beat Liverpool - ner, ner to you Phil ;) ) has indeed been troubling. It's also caused a certain section of our fans to cry loudly for the manager to resign and there's lots of drama at the moment about whether he will or won't stay next season. I won't get into that too much though other than to say that those 'supporters' remind me somewhat of a section of SL users who like to cry loudly for Lindens to resign when they do something bad paying not the sligtest attention to what they may have done that is good. Don't get me wrong. They may indeed deserve criticism for the bad, but not to the complete ignorance of the good.

Oh, and not only are we the oldest club currently in the Premiership, we always will be unless Notts County were to join us as we're the second oldest professional football club in the world after them (It's our 150th anniversary this year, in fact!) You'd probably get some people debating this whole 'oldest football club' thing mind you - it depends on your definition of 'professional football club' to some extent!

Anyway, before I waffle on forever i'll bid you adieu and say that I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as I watch Stoke (hopefully!) beat Norwich :)

Maybe I'll pop my head in here again soon. Or maybe not. No promises. I like to be all mysterious like that. Plus I'm remarkably busy in RL right now. I've even stopped Twittering (shock, horror!)

:heart:

"City, City 

Tell the lads in red and white, everything will be alright 

City, City 

You're the pride of all of us today 

We'll be with you, be with you, be with you 

Every step along the way 

We'll be with you, be with you, be with you 

By your side we'll always stay..."

Suella Ember wrote:

Our awful run of form since Boxing Day (when we beat Liverpool - ner, ner to you Phil
;)
) [...]

Everybody beats Liverpool these days - except the top clubs, of course. Today we're up against Newcastle. They are also in the relegation-avoiding battle with you, so the chances are that Newcastle will win :)

Stoke City.jpg

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And even far across the pond the Stokies feel the sun,
There is joy today in Stoke on Trent—the mighty Potters won.

Stoke City 1, Norwich City 0

My apologies to the memory of Ernest Thayer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.