Need Some College Advice for c++ or javascript

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have a class choice coming up soon to take javascript or c++ first, I would like folks suggestion on which being a first computer programming thing to learn is good.

The only thing i know right now is XHTML, and would love suggestions, I do plan on going into computer networking, this is just which is easier to learn and break the ice.

is not so much the language itself that the complicated part. is the libraries and learning them

u can learn c++ language as easy as javascript. they quite similar syntatically. c++ libraries way more work tho to learn. if u going to get into the deep deep parts of networking and systems then u probly better off to start with c++. just bc u will probly get there sooner

learning ur first language always takes a lot of time for most ppl. after that it gets easier to pick up other ones

u will find that ur classes will be quite simple to start with. most classes more concentrate on algorithms. that more important than the languages themselfs 

Javascript is a scripting language. C++  is a programming language.

Progamming is usually much more complex than scripting, which is the whole point in the devision of the two!

Interesting question, I mean...both will have very similar introductions...right? You learn about basic programming, although the langauges to implement it are different. Plus, some languages have different details and different theory that the langauge uses with the compiler or other means to 'do something' with the code. That is a big difference though. C++ is compilable, standalone. javascript usually is run within some other applications. Like SL client to is C# and it runs LSL inside of it, though I think I saw a Lau interface with the old emerald project. Either way, you see the division and power of each. Ease of use and learning, but the restricted scope and ability of the langauge means less power to make things happen!

I have no answser. I would think of what you can use each for and look at what is actually being learned. Is the C++ one faster paced to squeeze more into a time period or the javascript class sort of slower because they expect only lowely web page makers to use it lol? Sounds funny, but you need people to be able to pass a class and scripting is supposed to be simpler, or at least it drops all compiling worries and passes the bugs to the engine/platform/program application makers! Comiling issues, bugs and all that are the worry of a C++ programmer....so...yeah, that would make it sort of harder to learn, in the long run. But for a simple intro class? You need to look into what is exactly covered I think. Simply a very IMHO sort of comment here. Or almost essay length response...sorry about that!

C++ if you think you might ever be writing "big" applications or want to be able to write stand-alone executables.  There is likely to be more emphasis on efficient development across the whole software lifecycle.  Good choice to complement your knowledge of (X)HTML and give you a different perspective.

Javascript if you will 'only' want to develop web apps.  Here the emphasis is more likely to be on the problems of just not knowing what browser/OS/screen the users have and communications flow across the page lifecycle.  Good choice for expanding on your knowledge of (X)HTML.

They are both very widely-used event-driven, imperative, languages and so the fundamental design and development concepts will be the same.

It depends on what you envisage may be in your future. C++ is a general purpose programming language and is capable of more or less anything a computer programmer may want to do. Javascript is a cut-down programming language, designed for small programmes on a webpage. If you want to be a computer programmer, there is no choice, it's C++. But if you only want to make things happen on a webpage, and not be able to write full computer programmes, go for javascript.

Incidentally, the difference between script languages, like javascript, and normal programming languages, is that script languages remain readable when run, and are 'processed' on-the-fly, whereas normal languages compile into unreadable code before they can run.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4488 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.