My workplace (A college) is attempting to use second life in class. issues with LAN?

Sarphy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In class it seems that only one user/machine can be on the game at the same time.
I believe the college is using a PAT system, thus, every machine has the same public IP address. Could this be causing an issue?

It seems this one machine has grabbed the IP and rights to log onto the game whilst no one else can.

Any suggestions?

Sarphy wrote:

Any suggestions?

Talk to your sysadmin. It seems pointless to ask us, you'll be explaining basic details every step of the way. In your opening post you give very little useful information. If you're non-technical, this is almost certain to turn into people shouting at each other in confused tones.

Second Life isn't anything special arcitecture-wise. Any pro will be familiar enough with how it works. PAT shouldn't make a difference but without more details (none of which I'd be comfortable accepting, esp. for free) it's impossible to say.

Some of us know what we're talking about, but educational networking is a sticky wicket. You probably pay someone for this.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Some of us know what we're talking about, but educational networking is a sticky wicket. You probably pay someone for this.

^ This.

I've worked in edu systems networking in a previous life. Ask the people who get paid to maintain (and look after security and access on) your network.

There's no inherent reason why you can't run multiple SL sessions on a NAT/PAT network; I do, even multiple (up to five so far) session from just one PC at times (although that PC has a public IP address on static NAT).

So, if it doesn't work, check with your admin. My guess ould be throttling (deliberate or simply limited thoughput) but that's only a guess.

Hi Sarphy,

Please check your private messages on the forums for some additional information. If you could follow the instructions there for filing a ticket and having is assigned to the correct person, they should be able to help.

Sarphy wrote:

In class it seems that only one user/machine can be on the game at the same time.

I believe the college is using a PAT system, thus, every machine has the same public IP address. Could this be causing an issue?

It seems this one machine has grabbed the IP and rights to log onto the game whilst no one else can.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.