My review got removed

GonolaBar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I bought an item on marketplace, and the listing was not as described. Although it states that the skin is 'Ivory', the skin which I purchased was almost entirely white, or rather, a bright shade of white. As such, I left the comment on Marketplace saying that the skin is too pale. However, that comment was flagged and removed. 

The seller has no bad reviews at all. All are 5 star reviews. I don't suppose I've violated any ToS by speaking the truth about the item I got which differs from the image they listed. Can someone explain? Thanks.

GonolaBar wrote:

The seller has no bad reviews at all. All are 5 star reviews.

There's one four star there actually.

This is how it goes: A store with over 250 listings, nearly all of them have five star reviews - and recent reviews, not old ones. Most listings have three or four reviews, some less and many far more.

So, somewhere between 1500 and 2000 five star reviews, one four star and not a single lower...

GonolaBar wrote:

I don't suppose I've violated any ToS by speaking the truth about the item I got which differs from the image they listed.

Of course you didn't. :)

That is, although you're not required to do so, you should try to contact the seller first and give them a chance to correct any error they may have made. Give them a week or two to respond and try to contact them at least twice. If you don't hear from them or they don't fix the problem, then you should leave a negative "item not as described" review.

GonolaBar wrote:

Can someone explain?

Probably not ;)

It doesn't sound like you violated any rules for leaving a review if your only comment was about the color.  However if you said anything personally about the creator, or made any unfactual claims it could have been removed for that reason.  You should keep your reviews strictly about the product itself and make only objective factual comments.

You could file a support ticket under Marketplace>General Marketplace Issues and explain the situation and ask why it was removed.  You can do this even if you are not a premium member.  It's been known that the people who are supposed to review flags are supposed to determine if a violation occurred before removal and sometimes make erroneous decisions or just remove them without really reviewing them.  

Whether this is worth the effort to you is up to you. The term 'Ivory' could be interpreted as white as it is white with just a slight undertone.  If you google "Ivory Color" images you'll find many examples of Ivory that for all practical purposes are white.

The lesson you learned here is always try a demo for skins, shapes and all mesh BEFORE you buy it, particularly if they cost more than you are willing to lose if you don't like them.  If a demo isn't offered, don't buy it.

• Like 1

I made a webpage about Windlight to refer buyers to when they insist I have packaged a different color than I have on display in the store, or pictures of on MP. I give a link so they can download my custom Windlight and see the object exactly as it looks in the store, where everything will be seen under that Windlight. I also try sometimes to take MP pictures showing the object under more than one Windlight.*

Windlight can certainly make an object look white under one Windlight and ivory under another. I have many examples in my store.

In my experience this is the most likely explanation, and nothing the seller has control over -- a typical case of someone who doesn't understand how SL works. If the buyer had contacted the owner, he probably would have received an explanation.

PS I have even had people complain that a house was not as described because the picture showed it with shadows turned on, and the buyer had them turned off. He wanted me to make custom textures for everything with shadows like in the pictures. 

* Here is an example of a house shown in two different windlights, making it look both ivory and white: 

https://lagalleriasl.com (the page on Windlight is at the same location).

Very informative, thank you. There wasn't a demo but it's fine. I did not make any comments about seller since it was my first time purchasing from them. But since they are flagging bad (factual) reviews, I doubt I'll be purchasing any thing from them in the future.

GonolaBar wrote:

Very informative, thank you. There wasn't a demo but it's fine. I did not make any comments about seller since it was my first time purchasing from them. But since they are flagging bad (factual) reviews, I doubt I'll be purchasing any thing from them in the future.

A merchant cannot just flag a review and have it removed because he doesn't like it. LL will not do that* -- why even have a review system if merchants get to choose which stay posted?.  If it was removed, it was for a reason. (I have said what I suspect it was.) The only way to have it removed would be to delete the listing and make a new listing, which would get rid of all reviews, and is not legal. If you think he has done that, AR him.

*Mistakes can be made, but it is not policy, and does not happen often.

GonolaBar wrote:

There's another possibility. Some sellers put up listings using the picture and description of another merchant's product but the item they're actually selling is either a bad fake or an empty box. Someone selling a skin with no demo is a real red flag. As someone fairly new you probably wouldn't have considered that, which is what they're counting on. If this turns out to be the case reposting the listing is the least of their sins.

I think there could be a sub account created? I too read somewhere else that merchants can't report comments themselves. I saw OP's post on the listing, which I shall not reveal which exact listing it was, and it was concerning the skin being too pale in the sunlight. (Something along this line.) Imo, it's kind of weird that there are no bad reviews at all, wonder how the flagging system works.

Entriquevore wrote:

I think there could be a sub account created? I too read somewhere else that merchants can't report comments themselves. I saw OP's post on the listing, which I shall not reveal which exact listing it was, and it was concerning the skin being too pale in the sunlight. (Something along this line.) Imo, it's kind of weird that there are no bad reviews at all, wonder how the flagging system works.

Merchants can flag a review, but only LL can decide to remove it.  Merchants can and do often add comments about why the review is not fair  before they flag it.

I find it weird too that they have all those reviews, especially since most buyers don't ever leave reviews and of those that do, many are to complain.

• Like 1

GonolaBar wrote:

As far as I see, there's no 4 star review. All of the listings on that store are listed as 5 stars or 0 review.

Only five star reviews and no demo? A search for Ivory in the skin section of MP doesn't bring up a single merchant who fit that description. The closest you get is the store I had in mind with a single four star (masked by several five star reviews of the same product) and demos only for a few listings.

GonolaBar wrote:

That led me to think that the seller could be flagging all bad reviews etc.

Yes obviously but that's not necessary a bad thing. It may mean that the seller is very careful to fix any problems that may turn up. ;)

sally Parkes wrote:

I dont think LL shoudl be removig negative reviews
do they even try the product t s ee what its being criticised?
and the money wasted on the purchase.

It depends what the review says. Negative, untruthful reviews could be posted by competitors and people who have an axe to grind, and they should be removed.

Probably not, at least some of the time. It's LL, and LL is known for often not dealing with such things in a straight and fair way. I can imagine (only imagine) that the LL staff who deal with such things, often just wave them through to save time, perhaps with a cursory glance. Remember that LL does not have the customer at heart - I mean the customer of LL, not the customer of the seller.

sally Parkes wrote:

I dont think LL shoudl be removig negative reviews, do they even try the product t s ee what its being criticised? and the money wasted on the purchase.

Imagine for a moment, that you are a merchant and you decide to sell your items on the marketplace. Would you like to be able to do something about negative reviews or wouldn't you? You may say, that your products are good, that nobody will leave a bad comment on them.

In that case, you time will prove you wrong. Even if you don't get a competitor, who tries to sabotages your store, you will definitly get stupid and rude customers. You will get people, who are too stupid to follow even the simplest instructions, you will get those who are too lazy to read what they buy and you will have people who rage at you for no good reason. All of them will leave reviews and all of those will be unfair.

Lol, yeah, I have one of those atm.  I think it's mainly because people don't read the description/user manual and are then angry with themselves for their own stupidity, so they redirect it at the unfortunate merchant!

Of course you do also get the trolls who are jealous of a successful store owner because they can't do it themselves, and the sad deranged ones who are just spiteful and lash out.  And of course the competitors who don't make the same effort so fail to get sales.

All we can do is correct the lies, flag the reviews/comments and move on.

The people doing this can never move on, because they are trapped in their own pointless spiral of self loathing, failure and spite.  

I suppose you've got the right store/seller. Yes, all 5 stars, and just one 4 star review from 2014 which is still a postiive review merely stating item as copyable. I dropped a message to the seller though and flagged the item but seems like nothing has been done. What I don't get is LL removing my review even though I did not do any personal attack and was just a honest review about the skin tone. Weirdly enough, there was one female user who commented on my review before it got taken down. Nevertheless, I'll be purchasing from 7 deadly skins in the future. They've got better support. Thanks all for the reply :)

• 1 month later...

There are times having a review removed is right though.  On the account that I have a store on I had a falling out with a friend and she bought several of my items (that she already had be given for free) and left horrendous reviews.  I contacted LL, gave them a screenshot of the argument we had had where she threatened to "take me down" in any way necessary and they removed the reviews.

Not all reviews are about the actual product, some are made by angry people, jealous people or competition.  I honestly wish creators had the right to ban people from purchasing our products.  If you ban a griefer or an angry friend or ex inworld they can still attack you through the marketplace.  Grant it LL is pretty good about taking care of the problem, but, it should be up to the creator whether or not they sell to someone.

• 4 years later...

I have had this issue recently with products I left reviews on and later on when I figured out the problem I couldn't review them again. Even after contacting one creator she said she never flagged the review because she helped me on the problem instantly and that is why I was going to leave a better review. It could be SL as well having issues with glitches.

Screenshot at Feb 19 00-09-51.png

• Confused 1

Glad one star reviews get reviewed now. Way too handy as a griefer tool at worst and frustration release at best. What's more I reckon 50 percent of one star reviews are where the purchaser could'nt figure things out or LAGGGGG messes the scripts up. Ebay tidied up its neg review system due to abuse. SL may have to do the same. A 3 day cooling off period before one starring should'nt be impossible to code 

Finally a plea to anyone about to one star a product. TALK to the creator first ! Most probs can be quickly resolved by doing things like 'sharing' the product and/or 'deeding' the product or enabling a pref in settings. THINK FIRST BLAST OFF LATER

Edited by rasterscan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.