Moxyland . . .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

. . . is "a cyberpunk dystopian novel" written by South African author, Lauren Beukes, which I have just read.

In the postface, she acknowledges, inter alia, "virtual rape and refugees camps in Second Life".

I know about the virtual rape (an oxymoron if ever there was one) but I am not aware of any refugee camps.

The book was published, however, in 2008 so perhaps her research (or experience!) predated my signing up.

Can anyone shed any light on these camps? If you're still monitoring these forums Lauren (unlikely) perhaps you could.

I have known several surprisingly smart South Africans in SL (unlike the ones I have met in rl) a couple of whom claimed to be journalists even, and one who died of ALS, but I don't think any of them were capable of expressing the casual sexist violence exhibited by several of the leading anti-hero characters in the book.

Alec - chasing shadows.

am pretty sure Lauren is referring to the builds on the old Teen Grid at Global Kids Island. Orgs like Global Kids, UNICEF, US Holocaust Memorial Museum, etc were pretty active back then 2007 on TG

those orgs mostly just paid the tiers pretty much. Altho some SL teens actual got paid by UNICEF as well. All kinds of stuff got made. Darfur was one of them. Was lots other builds made about global issues as well

was some activities on the main grid as well. but I dunno about them

irihapeti wrote:

am pretty sure Lauren is referring to the builds on the old Teen Grid at Global Kids Island. Orgs like Global Kids, UNICEF, US Holocaust Memorial Museum, etc were pretty active back then 2007 on TG

those orgs mostly just paid the tiers pretty much. Altho some SL teens actual got paid by UNICEF as well. All kinds of stuff got made. Darfur was one of them. Was lots other builds made about global issues as well

was some activities on the main grid as well. but I dunno about them

If you're right then she's lying about her age now, or was then.

But then again, what's new about a woman lying.

About her age even.

Alec - to know why kids were paid by UNICEF to live in virtual refugee camps.

not really

is some vids on youtube from those days. just search for Global Kids, UNICEF

is also probably true that Lauren was: involved in GK and/or UNICEF, and/or knew people like Barry Joseph who was the GK lead in SL. [and/or some of the teens who were UNICEF teen ambassadors at the time]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.