Most popular Zyngo style games?

LegendarySL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LL Official Policy on Skill Game Compliance

"Our policy on wagering has been structured to ensure that we are in compliance with regulatory and payment-processor guidelines. For this reason, any game is subject to this policy when it directly or indirectly collects or pays Linden dollars as a result of play. In certain limited circumstances, this policy also permits what is commonly known as games of skill. A game of skill is one which the player's skill is the predominant way to score in the game, and any chance elements of play do not materially affect the outcome or supersede the player's skill."

In Zyngo, there is an element of chance but even if every number called out is on your card you can't win unless you mark it correctly so it is legal.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

"Our policy on wagering has been structured to ensure that we are in compliance with regulatory and payment-processor guidelines. For this reason, any game is subject to this policy when it directly or indirectly collects or pays Linden dollars as a result of play. In certain limited circumstances, this policy also permits what is commonly known as games of skill. A game of skill is one which the player's skill is the predominant way to score in the game, and any chance elements of play do not materially affect the outcome or supersede the player's skill."

In Zyngo, there is an element of chance but even if every number called out is on your card you can't win unless you mark it correctly so it is legal.

Thats not skill... my 6 year old plays slyngo on my PC... its blind luck what numbers pop.

Yeah, it's nothing to do with skill, but it doesn't matter. The Lab decides what games are allowed and what aren't based on -- at best -- some arcane logic that their then-counsel must have judged adequate to keep at bay the credit card companies threatened by UIGEA.

For a time, it appeared online gambling might go away, but that was before Barney Frank left Congress.

from the policy on wagering...

Policy

It is a violation of this policy to wager in games in the Second Life® environment operated on Linden Lab servers if such games:

1. Rely on chance or random number generation to determine a winner,
    OR
  2. Rely on the outcome of real-life organized sporting events,

AND provide a payout in

1. Linden Dollars (L$)
    OR
  2. Any real-world currency or thing of value.

The vailidity of these various machine games in SL is dubious...putting it mildly.

They are, of course, gambling games that rely primarily on chance. No ifs. No buts.

The so-called 'skill-factor' that allows them on the grid is,frankly, laughable.

The question all of us should be asking is this. How is some creators are effectively allowed to proft via gambling - which is what these machines are - and others are not?

The whole thing is very murky, in my opinion.   Perhaps it is something the Alphaville Herald could look into?

I have recently encountered a line of gaming machines in SL that give no prizes at all, and are all group play.

'secondlifegaming' I think was the company behind them, but I can't find them on google.

The ones I tried were pretty fun.

- A venue full of these would be nice. It'd be a social place. But like all venues, has no built in way to fund itself...

I've sometimes thought of rezzing out a zyngo box as a way to make some tier funding... but it seems unethical.

Marketplace tells me to look up these:

K.R. Engineering
NuzzleTech
Aphrodite Games
Kottos Games Factory

Hoshi Kenin wrote:

The vailidity of these various machine games in SL is dubious...putting it mildly.

They are, of course, gambling games that rely primarily on chance. No ifs. No buts.

The so-called 'skill-factor' that allows them on the grid is,frankly, laughable.

The question all of us should be asking is this. How is some creators are effectively allowed to proft via gambling - which is what these machines are - and others are not?

The whole thing is very murky, in my opinion.   Perhaps it is something the Alphaville Herald could look into?

By 'Validity" do you mean "Legality?"

Cause that is the issue here.

There have always been and probably always will be those who push things to the limit of the law. 

Several years ago I lived in a state where some massage parlors discovered a loop hole in the law.  As long as they rubbed you through your pants and didn't unzip your zipper it was legal.  However it didn't take too long for the law to get changed once what was going on got exposed.

Really, short of a court ruling, the best you'll get is the opinion of a legal expert in these matters, and that would only be if you could get them to state their opinion.  That would still not hold the weight of a Court ruling.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.