Most crowded clubs in SL?

DjWhiteBoi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

SL has gotten boring for me so I don't get on much like I used to..   Now, even  Ambrosia is dead. DEAD. Hardly anyone there even peak hours.

I've searched in world and bounced around but not really finding any good clubs/hangouts.

My music preference is Rap/Hip Hop/Top 40/Dance  but I'm not really picky at this point. Would be nice just to go somewhere and there actually be people there.

Recommendations anyone?

• Like 1

DjWhiteBoi wrote:

Recommendations anyone?

My first thought was to make a joke about changing your choice of music but it sounded too much like a snide remark or maybe just me recommending grand-ma rock.

So ... busy clubs that I know of ...

Yeah, you're gonna havta expand your music choices :P

At any time of the day you can search for music events and find plenty of places to try.  If a crowd is all you are after you will find most of the packed places are either 80's/90's/00's rock or Jazz joints.  

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Most crowded clubs in SL

I AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE  !!!!!!

LOL! :D

You can't really have big crowds in SL anymore, not the way you could a year or two ago. Avatars have become so heavy now that often a dozen or less of them moving on the same dance floor is enough to lag the place down so much only bots and afks can manage to hold on.

Apart from that, try to do an in-world search, for "No Bots" in Places -> Hangouts. Add one of your preferred music styles to the search too if you like. Sort by most popular and then check each place that looks interesting on the map. If there are less than five green dots there, try again later, it may just be a quiet hour for them. If there are more than ten, approach with caution if at all. Anything in-between, go for it!

Also, remember that just like in RL, you can't just drop in as a lone complete stranger at a club. Unless the place happens to have a very, very good host, it wil take a while before you get to know the regulars and become one of them.

Edit: Seems I spoke too soon. That search hardly turns up any results at all. Even some clubs I know advertise as "no bots" were missing from the list. Oh well, maybe it will work eventually. It seems some club owners have started to realize that bots are bad for business in the long run.

• Like 2

ChinRey wrote:

KarenMichelle Lane wrote:

Most crowded clubs in SL

I AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE  !!!!!!

LOL!
:D

You can't really have big crowds in SL anymore, not the way you could a year or two ago. Avatars have become so heavy now that often a dozen or less of them moving on the same dance floor is
enough to lag the place down so much only bots and afks can manage to hold on.

TRUE
....if your computer is a POS.

FALSE
...If your computer didn't come from Walmart.

MadDog Tremor wrote:

TRUE
....if your computer is a POS.

FALSE
...If your computer didn't come from Walmart.

Yes but a Second Life that only welcomed people with high spec expensive hardware wouldn't draw any crowd at all.

Edit: That kind of post doesn't really deserve a proper answer but you get one anyway:

I got some bad news for you boy: This is 2016, it's time to wake up!

Second Life is not cutting edge technology anymore and holds no attraction to the computer-savvy people. And nobody but nobody spends money on hardware just to try Second Life and see if it's anything for them.

So what you're really saying is that Second Life should only be for the established core of die-hard fans and that's n endangered species.

Edit 2: Like most people in SL I'm not from the USA so I don't know what kind of computers Walmart sells. But you definitely need something far heftier than a mid price off-the-shelf general purpose computer from a serious computer store if you want to spend quality time in crowded SL places.

Frank's jazz club is always packed and there are usually people at Blarney!

Frank's got great hosts, a big dance floor to spread the load across and I think their strict dress code (it got even stricter a year or so ago btw) may help keeping at least some of the laggiest avis away. If anybody's got the formula right, it's them. Switching music style from Top 40 to 1940s may be asking for too much though and I have a feeling it's more of a couples place. Bring a friend or a partner and you can have a great time, go there alone and you stay alone.

I didn't know Blarney's was still going strong, that's great to hear. If it's anything like it used to be, it's a really good place to meet people.

If you want - or at least don't mind - adult content, Lar's is still a good place. They used to be on a sim border to spread the crowd across two sims. They don't need that anymore of course so they moved. But it's still a good place. It's not that A rated either really and the dancers tend to draw much of the unwanted sex pressure away from the visitors. Nudity is to be expected though.

London Soho may still be worth checking out. They closed down some of the sims and all the clubs but I think they also got rid of some of the bots so there's a good chance most of the green dots you see around the open air dance floor are human operated. It's definitely a dying place but it ain't dead yet.

Voodoo Bayou Blues is a relatively new venue worth checking out. Hit it at the right spot and you can have a really good time.

And of course the what-was-the-name-again? Great place. I wonder if ti still exists.

Benson Gravois wrote:

Frank's jazz club is always packed and there are usually people at Blarney!

I rarely go to clubs - maybe 2 or 3 times in the last year or two BUT... I was at Franks a few days ago, and it wasn't packed or crowded. There were people there, but no way could it have been called crowded. It was probably not the peak period though.

Venus Petrov wrote:

So, the popularity of clubs wax and wane.

They do but that can't hide the fact that SL as a whole and especially SL as a social medium is waning. All the statistics we know are clear there and it's also easy to see if you spend time in-world.  It says a lot that with one or two possible exceptions nobody's mentioned a recent club in this thread yet - nor in any of the other similar threads we've had here.

Venus Petrov wrote:

I was happy with a 'crowd' of 15.

Five is a good crowd today, at least if we don't count the bots and the afk friends of the DJ.

But on the bright side, this may mean there is room for brand new popular clubs in Second Life. If somebody wants to give it a go, here's Chin Rey's Guide To Run A Successful SL Club:

1. Get good hosts! Say hello to everybody who arrive, know when to run those overenthusiastic cheering gestures and when not to, find a good way to remind people to tip the DJ, the host and the venue - those are the minimum requirements.
  2. No bots. No bots at all! That is no bots posing as guests. Obvious bots serving as staff - a bartender, maybe a Bot Band - can actually be quite cool done the right way, and especially if they can be programmed to interact with the humans.
  3. Keep the scene as low lag as possible. That's tricky since you don't want the place to look bland but ninety 75 percent of the lag in a typical SL scene is caused by things hardly anybody is ever going to notice anyway so a lot can be done with efficient and well thought out design.
  4. Get good hosts!
  5. No more than one afk friend of the DJ for each ten actual guests.
  6. Make room for the people who don't want to dance. A nice little lounge-ish area with some chairs can add a lot to the place.
  7. Find the right level of other activities. Sploders, quizzes, contests, different cool games - those are great ways to draw more people. But don't overdo them, find the right balance. And especially: don't overdo the ones with L$ prizes. We don't want too many guests who are only there for the money.
  8. Get rid of the laggiest visitors. They ruin the experience for everybody else.
  9. Put the dance balls in places where they are easy to spot and fill them up with good quality dances with easy-to-understand names. And no old silly-movement freebie dances!
  10. Put the tipjars in places where they are easy to spot and make them obvious but still discreet. I wonder how much money SL DJs and venues have lost over the years simply because visitors got tired of playing the "Spot The Tipjar" game.
  11. Get good hosts! The kind who can remind people to tip venue, DJ and hosts without sounding offensive and also remember to tell them how to.
  12. Find a good music style. Actually this isn't critical, people tend to have surprisingly broad musical tastes, especially when they're in a good mood to start with. But even so, a music style lots of SL people can enjoy - and one that isn't already overcrowded by half-empty clubs - will help.
  13. If you have dance poles, dance pads or such, be clear whether they are open for the public or for hired dancers only. If they are open make sure the hosts (did I mention how important good hosts are btw?) remember to invite people to use them. If they are for hired dancers only, make sure at least some of them are manned womanned most of the time.
  14. Keep everything in a good and consistent style. Everything-but-the-kitchen-sink style is a recipe for disaster. Oh, and remember: 1970s Disco is sooo out now. Grunge may work but you have to do it well. And finally, I think I forgot the most important point:
  15. Get good hosts!

I don't think I can name very many clubs even though that is just about all I do in SL. But I don't follow clubs, I follow the singers. Find some entertainers you like and go where they are, you'll find you like your time spent at what ever the club is better than just going to that one or two clubs and taking pot luck at the entertainment.

I can remember when there are huge crowds out for discussion events. I can remember there used to be a "Bradburry Island," and they had a book discussion on one of Ray Bradbury's novels put on by the SL library group. The place was packed! There had to be at least sixty people there! I wonder why that doesn't happen anymore?

So there is the first lesson.  All you need is someone to be willing to take the time.  Some who will stay in an empty hangout waiting to greet whoever shows up.  Someone who will start a conversation with anyone so that the next person that drops by sees that something is happening at that place.

Greet anyone that comes by individually like you would a friend, classmate or work team.  Do not act like the paid hostess of yet another random club.  Try to remember who came by, what they talked about last time and engage with a follow up question about that.  Some people can do this naturally.  I have to take notes.  Put a few words in their profile to help remember. "Helped her with appliers."  The next time they pop by (which could be weeks) I can look at the profile and remember who they are (my memory sucks but I get to lame it on old age now) and what we did.  This way when I greet her I can ask if she got the right appliers for her skin or whatever I put in the note.

Then all it takes it time.  

But most people do not want to be the one to put in the time.  They pop in, see no one else there and leave before the next person comes by.

So all these hangouts, clubs and chat groups fade away as people bounce from place to place looking for the other people bouncing place to place and no one is there to tell them what to do.

Well to answer your question as to why clubs are dead one reason is that more more people are opening clubs thus creating the few that do go clubing to be dispercered  more, plus I find the standard of dj's has dropped to a very low quality this being that streams are cheaper to hire or buy and everyone wants to be dj. 

As for your music genre try Santorini 

• 2 years later...

May  want to check out the Live Music listings. There is everything available for different genres. Just pop in  Solarwinds (no not my venue) is packed all the time.

Bet you would love every single artist there and its a party atmosphere. If you want to know some artists I think would fit for you  im me. Don't want to stroke my competition *wink. 

Another tip is if no one is there , hang for a minute or five . Someone will come in. If you leave there will be no one there and they will leave. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1803 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.