Mesh Bodies Dilemma

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

ChinRey wrote:

Sassy Romano wrote:

and SSB didn't even deliver only a single baked result but still seems all textures.

I don't think those textures are actually used for anything. They're just downloaded for the benefit of copybotters and to fill up spare bandwidth and texture cache.

SSB did improve the rendering of system avatars considerably so it was a genuine improvement. But as you said:

Sassy Romano wrote:

... Especially since it arrived when mesh was really starting to take off.

Yes but how could they have known? This was before they started listening to their customers, remember.

I'm looking for an old post by Meduhe Simoni but I can't find it right now. It was a lengthy explanation of some features he thought was essential to the Sansar avatar and at the end he said that although those features would cost a lot in lag, not having them just meant that others would come up with even costlier workarounds. That is of course exactly what happened when LL failed to listen to the countless suggestions and requests for an SL avatar upgrade.

Outwards Ebbe Linden is always positive and very, very diplomatic. But sometimes I can't help wondering, what do he and Oz
really
feel about the mess they inherited and have to clean up? I guess we'll never know the answer to that.

Well we wonder what the Office Politics really is like at the Lab.

Medhue also as I recall did a lot of testing of the Mesh Deformer which wound up being ignored by LL and instead the lackluster 'Liquid Mesh' was chosen.  And while I am certainly no expert (in which case some folks might tell me I should keep my opinion to myself) from what I saw the Deformer worked much, much better than the liquid goop. So what was the reasoning behind all this?  

Is there too much people protecting their turfs at the Lab and/or a don't tread in any one else's turf attitude prevalent?  Why was Torley silenced?  He seemed to be about the only one at the Lab who was left who understood HOW we lived and functioned in Second Life.  Certainly Oz took the tiger by the tail but that does not mean he has always pointed it in the right direction when he let it loose.

Sometimes when I read Oz I get a bit of a "you don't want to cross me" vibe from him.  And if I'm wrong Oz, my apologies, but that is how you come accross sometimes.

is a pretty interesting problem this

i think a way could be is: if each asset UUID was credentialled to a prim UUID

example

i buy a chair. The texture UUID can only be used on the prim to which the chair creator applied it, or a copy of that prim when is Copy perm. If I try to apply the UUID to another prim (even from the same chair maker) then it wont display

the current SL system follows this form in usage generally in application, except that there is no credentialling step. In application a texture is a property of a prim when applied

how the system works now means that possession/knowledge of the UUID is all the credentials I need to display it. Which is the issue in this case

+

with system skins and layers then a way to credential could be:

the skin texture is applied to a prim of type Layer Applier. When I wear the prim the texture is applied to the avatar. When I remove the prim the layer remains applied until I wear another prim of type

+

basically if I dont possess the credentialling prim then no asset, texture, anim, sound, etc will work

to make this really useful for users/creators/scripters etc then can change a prim type to be able to have lists of assets

the creators own script can apply the assets. A buyer/users own script can apply assets from the lists to the prim when the prim is Modify perm. Same in the Edit tool when Modify perm. A user can pick a texture (or other assets if contained) from the lists and apply

is a major change to the whole asset system this tho

+

more basically if I cant display the asset then it dont matter if I do know the UUID

which then reduce the problem of thieving to the act of ripping content out of cache/memory and uploading that into SL as a "new" asset

is pretty interesting this as well

how far do we go in teaching young people to have ambition to lead ?

i was reading this recent paper from this educator lady professor the other day. (I cant rememeber now who it was. I will try to remember and see if I can find the link)

was about Millenials

that due to a societal desire to teach leadership to young people, we have created a generation who are ambitious to lead. In organisations they want fast promotion, they want remuneration that equates with their tutoring (their perceived leadership skills). They want a lifestyle that comes as a reward from this

basically they are the result of their schooling. They are ambitious and they want the rewards of their ambitions now. bc they have been schooled to be leaders

+

what the paper was about is that this doesnt actual work for organisations. In organisations we cant all be the boss. That for every No. 1 there is a No. 2. For every No. 2 there are No. 3s and so on all the way down to the No.s at the coalface

each No. is vital to the success of the organisation, but only vital when the No. is understanding of this

they may rise to be a No.1 one day, but in the meantime they need be the best No. X in the position they actual are. That when a new young person comes in with lots of schooling to be a No.1, and is not the No.1, then they pretty much useless to the organisation, when they are not accepting of this

the paper explores this problem and suggests that it should be addressed in future teaching

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.