Locate on maps feature and access

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

To my knowledge the only ready-made tool that allows them to locate you is the Viewer. Note that I said "ready-made". It is possible to obtain and build your own viewer from the Open Source code. However I am not aware of anyone building a "mapping client" from the code .. but it's possible.

And I think it would still require them to at least log in to the Grid .. which means you could see them UNLESS they had checked the options on their side that allowed them to hide from you.

If i had to pick one? I'd choose "subterfuge" on the other party's part. They play hide-n-seek while retaining full view of you.

Lemme guess .. this is someone you met in SL and have developed a relationship with?

You are very much welcome Freebird. (love the name btw) Thank you for having the decency to return and give us a follow-up. It's so very frustrating to provide a response, spend time working out possible options and outcomes .. and then hear nothing back. I sometimes worry I've sent people either around the bend, over the cliff .. or off to a different platform. And we NEED all the "bodies" we can get here.

I agree wtih Venus too. It is one of those features that is, at it's base, a Dunsel function. If someone wants to know where I'm at in SL, ask me. In fact, if you want to know anything about me .. ask me.

5'10"

Married

Male

BROKE AS A CHURCH MOUSE!

(Had you up to that last one, huh? LOL)

*laughing

You had me up until the "Married" part Darruis

You're welcome and thank you for the compliment on the name. And the reply to my reply, which warrented another reply lol.

And thank you too for the reply, Venus.I agree, it's a drama inducing feature and for the first time in 10 years of being on SL applied it without fully understanding all of it's potiential fuctions. Not a widely used feature, would imagine. Feels abit like a parental control :)

Darrius Gothly wrote:

Alwin Alcott wrote:

you also can see your location form the website, no need to log inworld

Wait . what? You can? Where? When did they add that?

(That'll teach me to focus on in-world stuff and not study the web pages more, eh?)

That has always been the case...or at least 6 years orso.

In your dashboard, when logged in, you see your online friends - the ones that light up in green have the location on map open for you, and when you hover over their name you will see on what sim they are and you can TP to them - it will open the viewer.

Well smack me stupid! I've never seen or known that. Thank you Alwin and Caitlin. I learned something new today.

@Freebird - Disregard all that poop I posted earlier. Turns out you CAN do it without the Viewer being logged in. And since you only need to log in to the Dashboard, you (or "he" in this case) won't show up as online either.

CheriColette wrote:

I have noticed my partners name in green....never wondered why, just thought he was special  
:)

Will it open SL viewer or the FS one I use.  I must try this feature. 

That usually depends on which one you installed last. There is only one slot available to store the program to run when a secondlife:// type link is clicked. So if you installed FS last, it saved itself in that slot and it will open when you click the green link. If you installed the official LL viewer last then it will open instead.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3048 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.