LL's Secret Support Team

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not that secret:  it is SL creators and landlords and volunteers as in this forum.

I, for example, am not just selling models like Turbosquid. I also provide extensive support services, most of which is about How SL Works, not specific to my products, or even having anything to do with my products. I am talking basics like opening a box, or resetting a script, but also a variety of more arcane JIRA issues I keep up with. I have a whole website page devoted to editing a linked prim.  I spend huge amounts of time helping people find things they have lost inworld or in inventory.  (People have no idea that they can use a keyword to search inventory, much less use filters, and they know nothing about coalesced objects.)

People don't know there is a Wiki, or a Forum, or even Google.

This is support that LL does not have to handle because I do. I doubt  they have any idea how large a tsunami of support requests they would have if creators and landlords and volunteers were not providing this service. 

I am wondering if this will still be true in the New World.

I'm guessing it will always be true. Because even on MMOs which generally are much more simple than a virtual world like SL, even with sometimes excellent in-world support, there's still _plenty_ of user-to-user support. I keep thinking of my boss getting his iPhone... he needed PLENTY of help. It seems a universal issue, people want instant gratification and someone to hold their hand _in_person_.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Wait!!!  Are you saying that "Google" still works once you've logged into SL and if so, does that mean that people can use it instead of asking questions in ANY group starting off with "I know this isn't the right group for this but...<where can I/how do I/where is?> <topic/product/youtube tutorial>"

AWESOME!

Pamela Galli wrote:

Not that secret:  it is SL creators and landlords and volunteers as in this forum.

I, for example, am not just selling models like Turbosquid. I also provide extensive support services, most of which is about How SL Works, not specific to my products, or even having anything to do with my products. I am talking basics like opening a box, or resetting a script, but also a variety of more arcane JIRA issues I keep up with. I have a whole website page devoted to editing a linked prim.  I spend huge amounts of time helping people find things they have lost inworld or in inventory.  (People have no idea that they can use a keyword to search inventory, much less use filters, and they know nothing about coalesced objects.)

This is support that LL does not have to handle because I do. I doubt  they have any idea how large a tsunami of support requests they would have if creators and landlords and volunteers were not providing this service. 

I am wondering if this will still be true in the New World.

From what I've read of Ebbe Altberg interviews, one of the major reasons for the new platform (not "world", which suggests a unified thing) is to allow things to be simplified for new users, with many different possible ways to access part of the platform and "creators" being able to tailor the experience to the audience. An example he used was an architect giving clients a walkthrough of a building, which would require visitors to have only the very most basic knowledge.

I get the impression that the new platform is intended to be what the hype barons of 2007 thought Second Life was, which is quite different from what Second Life actually was and could ever be.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Don't forget the volunteers at the inworld help centers! I have no idea how I would have survived my first months here if it wasn't for all the nice selfless people at NCI, Helping Haven and Oxbridge! And I certianly wouldn't have learned how to build if it wasn't for them and the brewery and the Hippsters and the Ivory Tower. Those guys don't jsut offer their help for free, they actually pay for the privilege!

Theresa Tennyson wrote
An example he used was an architect giving clients a walkthrough of a building, which would require visitors to have only the very most basic knowledge.

And the architect bureau's legal department to have no knowledge at all. If they got wind of it and take a look at the TOS, they'll throw a tantrum and put a stop to it immediately.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3285 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.