Jumping

Kolanu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi , Well call me a Newb - I know how to jump, I can jump successfully except for that last section.  I tried for 1/2 to make it thru step 2 jumping.  Is this going to stop me from even leaving the first part, learning center?  Or, is there a way around it?

Kolanu

Why are you jumping? Is this some kind of tutorial after you make your first avatar? The new player experience changes all the time. 

Anyways, just open up your map and teleport to some other place. Hopefully you are allowed to do tnat.

We almost never use jumping in SL. 

Yes it's part of a new tutorial for new Avis, which I discovered recently when I made an alt, and yes you can just tap out of it and go on with you life. By the way I jump all the time, especially over balcony railings.

I made a new building alt (an additional account specifically for working on building projects) a few weeks ago and thought I would do the welcome tutorial to find out more about what new people experience. Not sure if it was something to do with my computer, my internet connection or lag in that area, but it was impossible and frustrating the first dozen times. I eventually gave up and left her standing on the floor underneath.

Went back a couple of days ago and it was easy. I was the only one in the area at that time (checked the mini map to make sure). Before there had been a few others.

That's my contribution to the collective knowledge. It might be lag. It might be Linden side lag, though I can't rule out my side causes either. Waiting till a quiet time to try again is lousy advice to give a starting player however. :matte-motes-frown:

Given how atypical it is of SL, it seems a strange activity to put in the welcome tutorial. Jumping up the giant stairs from the floor below perhaps, but not jumping gaps.

Bree Giffen wrote:

We almost never use jumping in SL. 

One of the few times I disagree with you Bree. I jump a lot. It's fun to be walking and tap the PgUp key to see yourself gracefully do a triple somersault.

What I don't do is fly. It breaks all the hard work a landscaper puts into their sim. If god had meant us to fly she would have given us frequent flyer cards.

Kolanu wrote:

Yes for the tutorial..well i figured out how to come someplace else.  But, things are way too confusing.  I can't figure it out.  thanks anyways

Hang in there.  The learning curve for SL is steep, but the rewards are worth it. 

There are several places in world that help newbs figure things out.  Check out New Citizens Inc. (aka NCI).  They have mentors there that can help as well as things to help you start off.

For what it's worth, the jumping I had problems with in the welcome area was horizontally over gaps. Had to do it three times in succession too, which can be tricky to get right if there's some sort of lag (server or viewer side I would guess) or manual dexterity issues. I would typically get the first one, miss on the 2nd or 3rd, and then have to jump climb up the giant stairs to get back and start again. Fortunately it went smoothly on a different day. Not sure what was different on my end (connection, etc), but I do know there weren't any other avs around.

Jumping up in the air, up onto something, or going along on relatively solid ground are much easier (and in my SL at least, far more common).

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2678 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.