Jumping in the tutorial. How do I skip it?

DocRotwang

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, folks. I've just created an account, and am trying to join the community and enjoy the game.

Buuuut I can't.

I can't, because the tutorial requires me to jump across some gaps without falling, and the third and final gap, just....I...I can't...

...flames, on the side of my face.

I read in another thread that there is a way to skip that bit and get on with exploring and generally having a good time, but I do not know how that is done. Would anyone be willing to explain how that's done?

Because, really, this is forming a barrier to entry for me, and it's turning me off from the whole thing.

Thanks in advance!

The Learning Island tutorials are a very simple introduction to four basic movement skills: walking, jumping, flying, and teleporting. If you would prefer to skip those exercises and take your chances, all you have to do is pick a destination from your Destination Guide and click "teleport". Sooner or later you will need those skills, but you may learn on your own by trial and error if you wish.

I don't have many opportunities to jump in SL (or RL, for that matter), but it's reassuring to know that I can do it. It's one tiny confirmation that I'm not really getting older, despite what the mirror tries to tell me daily.

Personally, I have never wanted to click on the ground, except to check About Land. "Different strokes ...," they say.

I jump all the time.  I jump all over my builds as I'm building, some of the have been quite massive that are several stories tall.  I also jump up on stages, and sometimes just jump instead of taking the stairs.  And I also jump over terrain features.

My AO has a great jump, that makes me look like a gymnast that is so fun to do, lol.

Hitting the page up key once makes you jump up.  Hitting one of the directional arrow keys makes you move when you jump.  So if I want to jump up on something like a stage, I walk up to it, hit the page up key and the forward arrow key.  The longer you hold the forward arrow key down, the further you'll jump.  Sometimes it helps to run before you jump.

Keep at it if you never learned to jump and you'll soon get the hang of it.

It makes it more fun and therefore encourages you to learn if you have a cool "pre- jump", jump and then good intentional land animation in your AO as opposed to landing after a fall.  Otherwise, it can be look sort of awkward because the default is no pre-jump, a leap with hands up and a possible awkward fall at the end if you jump far.  Some AO's may have a jump but no pre-jump and the jump is just a slight variation of the Linden jump.

Try again today. Lag tends to be worse on Saturday and Sunday, especially Sunday. I couldn't manage all three leaps when I made my building alt (additional account specifically for building projects), so I just left her there in frustration. Tried again a month later and I did it on the second go.

I can't rule out quirks of the internet on my end, but I do know there were several avatars around when I was first trying and no one when I finally succeeded. And since you posted on Sunday, which tends to be the worst day for lag in SL, you may well have better luck at a quieter time.

Third party viewers (Firestorm, Kokua, Singularity, etc) have other options like double click to teleport and over ride constraints on flying. SL maintains a directory of third party viewers; you can find it through a web search. Like the name suggests, they are viewers made by others for use in SL.

Hopefully there's a way in the tutorial area (read the signs, go backwards and reread those signs) to bypass it as well. Once you leave you can't go back though, so short of making yet another new account I can't check for you.

You can always bail out of the tutorial, carry on and ask questions in the forum or inworld. The rest of the tutorial doesn't teach much, though it does have some lovely aquariums.

If you can try again when the majority of Americans are likely to be asleep or elsewhere though, you might get through with a minimum of fuss and something approximating a sense of achievement. :matte-motes-smile:

(note to oldbies: This isn't jumping up like you would to get over a fence or up oversized stairs. It's using forward and up keys at the same time to leap over three large gaps and having to start over if you don't get the timing and positioning right, the kind of thing that's common in console games and rare in SL.)

A third party viewer isn't needed for double-clicking on the land or object to teleport to the spot. The standard viewer does it. I does need to be set to do it in Preferences (Preferences > Move & View tab > select what happens under 'Double click on land' from a drop-down list. I don't know if it's the default setting though. I imagine it's the just same with those third party viewers you mentioned.

Now this thread is bringing back some fond memories of my earliest days in SL.  It seemed like I had a knack for falling (walking) into water.  Somewhat related to my bare bones computer and poor internet at the time.  I just could not get near water with out drowning my poor Avatar. 

But talking about jumping reminded me of one of the oldest creations in Second Life. Steller Sunshine's Climable Beanstalk.

Steller used  to have climbing contests to see who could get to the top the fastest and climbing the Beanstalk requires jumping skills.  So if you have a little time and want to have a little fun, give it a try.  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2695 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.