It's ANZAC Day

LlewLlwyd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Schmooples wrote:

Galipoli is in Turkey or to be more precise. the European part of Turkey 
:P
It's also one of my favorite films ^v^

You may be one of the 1%. You may not. You may not be able to locate Turkey on an atlas. Most here wouldn't.

[star Wars is one of my favourite movies, but I still couldn't locate Tatooine using the Hubble.]

Kelli May wrote:

*makes best guess, knowing it's somewhere in Turkey. Checks map scale to actual location*

Within 300 miles; is there a prize?

The prize is knowing that you are one of the 1%.

Or rather, realising that you are not one of the 99%.

[Note that Athens (Greece) Plovdiv (Bulgaria) and Bucharest (Romania) are all also within 300 miles of Gallipoli; maybe the "close enough" attitude contributed to the failure of the campaign.]

Pamela Galli wrote:

Recently read a book by an Australian author, mentioned Anzac cookies, so I looked it up. Never heard odmit before then.

Hmm, if you had chosen Polly as your avatar's first name, Pam, then you would have been Galli, Polly.

Kelli May wrote:

I think it's also possible, given Turkey's size and Gallipoli's position, to be in Turkey and still not be within 1000 miles.

To give our American cousins an idea of scale, Turkey is even bigger than Texas!

[it reminds me of when I visited a farm in Texas; the rancher boasted to me that he could drive all day and still not leave his land; I replied that unfortunately I had a car like that, too.]

Muletta wrote:

It is ANZAC Day tomorrow, April the 25th...not today.

And what do you think the day and date is at this very moment in Australia and New Zealand?

[The blinkered small-minded vision of forumites never fails to surprise me.]

LlewLlwyd wrote:

Muletta wrote:

And what do you think the day and date is at this very moment in Australia and New Zealand?

In Australia and New Zealand, it is already April the 25th now...I know.

I just wanted to make you a bit confused, only for a split-second. If I succeded, you would probably never admit. But at least I did surprise you, I see.... :matte-motes-wink:

Muletta wrote:

LlewLlwyd wrote:

Muletta wrote:

In Australia and New Zealand, it is already April the 25th now...I know.

I just wanted to make you a bit confused, only for a split-second. If I succeded, you would probably never admit. But at least I did surprise you, I see.... :matte-motes-wink:

I am unsurprised at how stupid forumites are; what astonishes me is their preparedness and propensity to demonstrate it in public.

LlewLlwyd wrote:

I am unsurprised at how stupid forumites are; what astonishes me is their preparedness and propensity to demonstrate it in public.

Well, to still be able to feel astonished is not a bad thing...It means, that you learn all the time.

First step of being more wise is, to be astonished :matte-motes-smile:

LlewLlwyd wrote:

I am learning all the time.

The problem is that I learn absolutely nothing useful here.

Perhaps I can comfort you, that you are not completely wasting your time here, even if you do not learn anything.

For example, you often make me laugh and to remember Muppet Show, with the two elderly men, who are sitting on the balcony during the show.

And today you have tought us about ANZAC Day...you are a huge gain for this forum.

LlewLlwyd wrote:

Schmooples wrote:

Galipoli is in Turkey or to be more precise. the European part of Turkey 
:P
It's also one of my favorite films ^v^

You may be one of the 1%. You may not. You may not be able to locate Turkey on an atlas. Most here wouldn't.

/facepalms  

I thought it was on Flatbush Ave. in Brooklyn.

/facepalms again

LlewLlwyd wrote:

Kelli May wrote:

I think it's also possible, given Turkey's size and Gallipoli's position, to be in Turkey and still not be within 1000 miles.

To give our American cousins an idea of scale, Turkey is
even bigger
than Texas!

As any Texan would say, nothing is bigger than Texas!

dawn service at Auckland War Memorial

then north to memorial service and parade at our marae. Attended with tipuna/ancestors and whanau/family who served in Pioneer battlion WWI. Maori Battlion WWII North Africa, Crete and Italy. NZ regulars and SAS: Korea, Malaya, Vietnam, East Timor, Kuwait, Afghanistan

poignant day for our whanau is Anzac day

our whanau goes to fight in foreign lands to defend our friends and to break the enemy so that they can never bring war to our lands

homai he aroha
mou i mate nei
tenei ra, e te atua
takina e koe

give love
we die
today, the gods
bring us [to them]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.