I Never Noticed This Before: Script Info

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

script info 1.jpg

script info 2.jpg

I don't know how long this function has been in the Viewers but only just now noticed it in About Land.  I'm surprised it never came up in any of the discussions about scripts and script counters that I can remember.   But I thought it might be useful to pass along for anyone who didn't know about it.

It has been there for about a year now. Since they started to work on script limits. Most users never knew it was there because it was only viewable in viewer 2+ versions

It came out about the same time  the script command came out to get agent script information

It was supposed to help users be aware of their script usage and be able to benchamrk their avatar

P.S. users should be able to see their own script info on any parcel

I used to use it to help me when I had residents in my club who had too many scripts. they would argue that they had none lol then I tell them to look at that if they had viewer 2.. they would be shocked lol

Oki, I took my screen shot, put some heavy items on lol, and now I would like somene to explain, in simple words, what means what? I have a little script counter rezzed on the ground, and I opened a viewer counter too. Viewer counts memory and urls? Can I find out the script count from memory used? Like when I'm in the club and can't rezz that counter... I'm confused... And I have Firestorm 4.01 version. Tnx in advance! ;)

Pooks screen.png

I've recently been forced into using LL's V3 viewer - the one your screenshot is of. I've thought that the buttons on the bottom bar could do with being smaller when they only display icons. I see that you've done exactly that. How did you do it?

ETA: Cancel that question. Your post says it's Firestorm. I've never seen Firestorm so I didn't recognise it.

Script size is a somewhat more meaningful measure than script count, but they're both measuring the same thing in different ways.

In that example, you're wearing some very scripty harness attachments, and, in your position, I'd check to see if the scripts can't safely be removed (if they're resizer scripts or something, perhaps -- if the item is copy, you can always keep a fully-scripted version as back-up if you need to change something later).    I don't think that would cause problems with things rezzing though -- that's just an inevitable consequence of being in a busy place where both the sim and your pc have a lot of work to do rezzing stuff and keep track of people's movements and so on.

I put it to show you all what I see from the viewer script count - a huge numbers that say about my kb memory usage ( I am aware its too big:)) But I know nothing about it, and for me, as an average user, those numbers are just numbers. I don't remember when I saw it for the first time, but I know I closed it right away and went to find something else with more info.

Coagulate script counter counts the scripts and tells me what are ideal numbers. So, how can I know whats ideal from just looking into the viewer count? It would be cool to have those nubers colored like ACR, or something like that...

And Ansariel said that the memory usage is useless, so what to use? 

Ansariel Hiller wrote:

You should update the Firestorm version - I fixed the missing string in the script info panel ages ago!
:D

I would love to upgrade.  However, something in the code since Mesh was enabled has destroyed my performance. I have JIRA's about this.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MAINT-623

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-4146

I am not obstinate about which viewer I use and have tried a number of them.  All with the same results, about a 75% drop in frame rate/performance. 

I will say this however, on a personal note, of all the GUI's I have seen, once I learned it, for me the FS3 GUI is the most intuitive and user friendly of all the GUI's.  But that is me personally.  I know other people may have other opinions and I have no argument with them.  My mind set is "Your World, Your Choice Of Viewers."

Thanks

Kenbro Utu wrote:

You can lighten your avatar script load, that flight feather is obsolete, flight ceiling has been raised.  

I suffer sometimes from bad bouts of nostalgia!

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Goodbye-Dear-Feather-I-Will-Remember-You-Fondly/m-p/1495553#M60452

Chalice Yao wrote a very good and informative explanation of her recommendations about script usage over at SLU back in January -- you might be interested in that and the ensuing discussion -- over here.

She's also written a very handy script which you can just put in a prim and touch and it gives you all the relevant figures for your overall usage (post #3 in the same thread).

PeterCanessa Oh wrote:

Does the viewer not take any notice of llSetMemoryLimit() Ansariel?  I'm not sure whether max-possible, max-claimed or transitory-use is more meaningful though.

Haven't tested that so far. The LSL memory profiling functions actually do take notice, but the viewer... Maybe worth testing. Actually it should return whatever is set via llSetMemoryLimit as the script memory information on the mentioned panel is requested from the region.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4364 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.