How well will Second Life run on my Laptop?

JacobGW

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all,

I have no idea where to post this thread seeing as I rarely view/post on the forums. 

Basically my computer specs are posted below - 

OS -Windows 10 Pro

Model - HP Pavilion G6 Notebook (x64 Based)

Processor - AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1700 mhz 2 cores and 2 logical processors.

RAM - 8.00 GB.

Also what should I adjust the options to navigate through Second Life as smooth as possible?

Thanks.

Interesting that you suggest a lack of familiarity of the platform is a good excuse to ignore the rules. Not sure how that will hold up.

The thing with laptops is that they're often not designed to run 3D applications for medium-to-long periods. They can't cool themselves down because there's not enough room for air to circulate. Given that Cnet are quoted as saying that the G6 series is "decent for bargain hunters at the very low end of the price scale" I'd bet performance will be low.

AMD processors tend to run even hotter than their more expensive Intel counterparts, and performance is lower. I'd bet this won't help you. Two logical processors means... one physical processor (as a hybrid APU). Generating twice as much heat in a small space.

Good luck I guess, you'll probably need it!

I was in fact referring to that fact that I am a "Bargain Hunter". You could've simply told me that the g6 series isn't that great performance wise. In fact with a different viewer my performance is actually very smooth. If the community acts as rude as you I'm rather glad I might not be returning here.

I wasn't implying anything about you personally - I don't know anything about you - I was quoting the article, which ranks this laptop on that scale. Given that I don't own a G6, it was necessary to see what industry professionals said about it. Cnet are fairly well regarded and the sentence I chose merely summed up their analysis.

Genuine apologies if you took that as a slight against you or your economic status; I did enclose it within quotes to try and keep it clear. If your chosen system works for your purposes in Second Life then that's what matters, not it's industry ranking.

Feel free to come and go here as you please - I'll do my best to remember that you're especially sensitive, should you return to make a fifth post to this forum.

for the ones who don't like straight forward replies... or weak hearted...the basic information i found...... but that won't help your system a lot, this you could have found yourself too....it's pretty low end.. hope it redirected me a bit wrong...

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bobcat/AMD-E%20Series%20E2-1800.html

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+HD+7340

You need a 'gaming laptop'. Theses are usually several hundred dollars over most laptops. From firsthand experience these tend to overheat when actually running graphic heavy games. If you live in a cold place, they may actually work well and will heat your room too.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Comparison-of-Laptop-Graphics-Cards.130.0.html

This site gives you an overview of laptop graphics cards for gaming from high to low. Compare the card in the laptop to the cards listed to see if it is any good.

I think that you may be drawing a little fire here because you are sitting there with the laptop on your lap and asking the forum how it is going to perform.

Go ahead and try it out.

I would suggest that you try with the Alchemy viewer, it runs a bit lighter than the others.

It will automatically set your graphics settings so best not to fiddle with it.

Then report back and let us know how you got on.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3160 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.