How tall am I?

Talligurl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I know you have no clue, but I don't know for sure either. i knew this sim that had a box you could stand in and it would measure your avatar and give you the height, but when I went there today it was gone, or maybe moved, it isn't a sim a girl should wander around in alone without a baseball bay and I had left mine at home so I didn't wander around looking for it. I had done this with my old classic avi, and knew how tall I was, but I have since gone to mesh, so now I am not sure. I know this one is skinnier, because I used to wear size S standard mesh skirts, and now the XS fits better, but I don't know for sure what my height is. I know it is probably a noob question, and there may be easier ways of figuring this out besides finding some box to stand in, but this is what is on my mind tonight so I put it out here, If anyone knows of a place I can go to measure my height it would be appreciated.

Pretty much any adult place with a height limit will have one. Problem is, they vary widely in accuracy. 

When you edit your appearance, your viewer will tell you, but depending on your preferred viewer, that may or may not be accurate as well. I know the official viewer used to be very inaccurate, though that may have changed; Firestorm tended to be more accurate, but neither was perfect. 

The most accurate method of finding your height: Find a sime where you can build. Rez a pose stand and stand on it. Rez a cube next to you, drag it onto your avatar, and stretch it so that the bottom is just barely covering the soles of your feet, and the top just barely covers the top of your head. Then check the overall height of the prim cube, and that's how tall you are! It's best to do this without hair or shoes and, if you wear mesh feet, with the flat version of them on.

Oh ok, the rez a cube idea had already occured to me, i am not sure why i didn't just go with it. I know those things would measure from the bottom of you shoe to the top of your hair. Once while in very high heels wearing a very high mohawk it told me I was 8 feet tall, lol, that was an extra 2 and a half feet.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

Pretty much any adult place with a height limit will have one. Problem is, they vary widely in accuracy.

Although my sim is not adult I calibrated it's height kicking orb by prim. The scripted measuremeant certainly doesn't match the prim height, but it's ok for my use. Are you taller than X or not. That binary doesn't need a umber of reach person, alhough it would be lovely.

It's a problem that goes right back to the early days of SL and seems to be mostly explained as the Lab's programmers are not very good at Maths.

And of course, now that deformers are really in heavy use it's an even bigger problem. A 3M person can be 75cm tall.

Talligurl wrote:

Once while in very high heels wearing a very high mohawk it told me I was 8 feet tall, lol, that was an extra 2 and a half feet.

When you prim measure take your shoes off and remove your hair. That will give you the closest measurement to the broken LSL functions the lab gave us. That function can't measure attachments like hair, nor animations like high heel wearing feet.

Flat soled and bald!

Quinn Lysette wrote:

the average hieght for a female in sl is  about 10 feet tall  thats 7feet for the strechet out leg and thigh area and 3 feet for the rest of the body  

I believe in a certian amount of modesty even in sl therefor my legs are only 5 feet long

I tried to make a scale replica of my bedroom once. I couldn't even stand up straight because my avatar head hit the ceiling. Then I looked around my real room and imagined my giant avatar in the room with me. It was a little scary.

What's even weirder is my avatar is usually the smallest avatar when I go to a store.

Quinn Lysette wrote:

ok for the record i only add girls that are girls in real life and have a realistic size avatar meaning 5ft1  and shorter anything over that and you just ruined yr avatar and you need teck support
:(

I've heard this kind of crap a lot over the years...

After I've finished beating a confession out of the craptalker with a baseball bat with nails in, the reason for the crap usually resolves it's self as follows.

1.  They are quoting 'average female height figures from a non-European decended country noted for it's generally lower height 
  2. The figures they are quoting are 50 years old.
  3. The figures include a range of people from 12 - 120 years in age.
  4. The claim of normal height assumes you should be a 120 year old southeast asian grandmother with terminal arthritis, carrying a water buffaloe tto market on your back.
  5. Women should BOW to superior male creatures
  6. Superior Males feel insecure around foreign devil round eyed white ghost western women who dont know their place is kneeling on a tatami serving green tea
  7. The superior males in question don't know squat about the different ways SL reports your avatar height (such as appearance editor height versus agent data height vs prim height)

I'm not Japanese, I'm not 120, I didn't grow up suffering from war time rationing induced malnutrition, and I never carry water buffaloe up mountains on my back.

I'm 5' 7" in RL, my appearance editor height is... 5' 6",  with the 17cm inworld ground clearance added, and a shoebase for fashionable heels, my prim height is 6'6" to 6'8" depending on which shoes/boots I have on.

When I log out of SL and pop outside in RL to buy groceries, most of the 18-22 year old girls I see in a busy university town are a couple of inches taller than me, due to changes in demographics, better diet since I was a kid, marriage patterns (people seeking taller partners and having taller kids etc).

Anyone who tells you that women over 5;1" are 'deformed, is either a fool or a liar, or an ignorant bigoted "Campaign for Real Height" facist who dislikes caucasians. Treat such people with the contempt they deserve.

"marriage patterns (people seeking taller partners and having taller kids etc)."

Ok I was all in agreement with every word, but then when you said this, it conjured up a weird image of a dance hall somewhere, with tired looking 70's syle decor, and lame music coming out of old crappy speakers, while a bunch of forlorn short girls dance with each other.

Talligurl wrote:

it conjured up a weird image of a dance hall somewhere, with tired looking 70's syle decor, and lame music coming out of old crappy speakers, while a bunch of forlorn short girls dance with each other. 

Ah you've been in one of my two local lesbian bars!,

You left out the 'Bois' in the plaid workshirts playing pool and trying to figure how to drink their imported bottled beer, when the smoking ban means theres nowhere to throw the useless fruit in the neck, without the 6' 2" Leather Diesel behind the bar wiping the floor with their fake eyebrow pencil moustaches...

Fun times!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.