How meaningful and valuable (emotionally or otherwise) is your stuff?

MargieG

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I am the academic doing research on grief and mourning and SL. I am curious about how meaningful and valuable your personal possessions are in SL? Are you attached to certain items of clothing or objects and if so would you want to give them to SL friends if you knew you were going to die or just leave SL? Thanks for your responses in advance. MargieG

I do recall one of my SL friends leaving "for good" and asking me if I would like her treasured collection of SL underwear.  Maybe she needed to give as many of her possessions as possible away, instead of the money having been wasted, maybe she wanted to give her things away so people would remember her (she is not the sort of person one could ever forget). I politely declined.  The same friend returned to Second Life under a new name, and I wondered, had I taken her underwear, if she would have wanted it back. I wouldn't have had to wash it all first, of course.

My personal possessions in Second Life are only virtual, but while I am alive they mean a lot to me, in the same way as my personal possessions in real life do.  Having said that, I do not believe I have anything, in real or in second life, that would be wanted by anyone else.  My stuff would therefore die with me/go to the council tip. My SL home on the mainland would be repossessed by LL when my payment did not come through for the quarter, and my RL flat would be repossessed by the local authority from whom I rent it.

Janelle Darkstone wrote:

I'm curious, as to in what culture would an offering of used underwear be an appropriate bequeathal?

Maybe Japan?

Well, you know, when I think of it, giving away used underwear sounds rather like something that happens over one of those dodgy RL phone lines - does that only happen in the UK?

1 user wants to know why you want to know?

I don't know if I am emotionally attached to anything. I have over 100,000 things in my inventory. A lot of that is probably duplicates that I never deleted (copyable things copy again when you rez them once and then pick them up), old note cards, old landmarks, old freebies...things I could do without. But there is limited time usually when I go into Second Life and I usually don't see a reason to spend it sorting through that stuff. Once in a while, I do, and it's very relaxing if I'm in the mood for that.

I think if I knew I was going to die there would be a lot more on my mind than who gets my transferable virtual leggings or skybox or some such. I would hope that is not how or why anyone would remember me, either. (If they did at all.)

I am attached to my clothes and shoes in sl, when I don't log in for months at a time, I am very happy to see them when I get back!  I would never give them away!  Not that I could, they are all no transfer items.  That goes for my armor and weapons in other games I play, I retired from many mmorpgs and I never gave anything away!  I have deleted accounts with everything on them! lol  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.