High mountains

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Svecia_002.jpg

Svecia_001.jpg

You got me interested here. For a couple of reasons.  That would be the highest point I've seen on Mainland. (See Qie's Reply, I forgot about Heterocera). There may be Estates with higher but I don't know. 

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Svecia/59/18/339

As far as that object goes, it appears to be on a private parcel. (I couldn't access it to check 'about land').  But most of the surrounding terrain is abandonned land.  You cant really build anything on those sheer cliffs.

The curious thing is this:

"Maximum terrain height: 255 meters using inworld controls (mainland limit), 510 meters by using a *.raw file upload."

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

I was at 339 Meters when I took those snaps.

Perrie Juran wrote:

The curious thing is this:

"
Maximum terrain height:
255 meters using inworld controls (mainland limit), 510 meters by using a *.raw file upload."

I was at 339 Meters when I took those snaps.

When you use the in-world terraforming tools, you can usually only go to 255 Meters altitude (235 M above the normal default 20M sea level.) Each incremental change in the terrain height is recorded as a 0 to 255 greyscale value in the heightfield attribute for the sim, which counts as a 1M height change. So pure black = 0 M altitude, and pure white = 255 M altitude. In most mainland sims, while the initial uploaded terrain can have any value between 0 and 255 for the terrain height, the in-world editing tools can only change from that base value by +/- a fixed number of meters (like +/- 4 M from the uploaded base). Of course, the Lindens can upload a RAW file when they create a sim, so they can initially create mainland areas that are higher than 255 Meters, and have in some areas. On the mainland, you can't change the baseline terrain by saving the raw file changes made by the limited editing tools. The baseline remains what the Lindens initially uploaded. So if you owned the highest point on the Mainland, you could change that by +/- whatever that sim's limit is from what the Lindens created it as.

On a private sim that limit on changes from the baseline can be changed by the sim owner, and changes to the baseline can be saved at will. For a lot of private sims, they set the change from baseline limit to +/- 100M.

Private sim owners can upload and save RAW file data to change the terrain limits. Using a RAW file upload, you can also apply a multiplier to the heightfield values in the terrain mapping, and can get up to 2X the altitude change per pixel change in the heightfield (or a fraction of the normal altitude change, with smoother steps between height points.) Hence 510 M and a 2M step between height points is the max possible in-world.

Qie Niangao wrote:

I think

This brings back fond memories.  My first regular house was there, which I rented with my best friend, after living in a skybox on the first continent of Sansara for a month when i was a newb.  That continent had just opened less than a year before I rented there in 2006. The house was built on the side of the mountain about 30 meters below the top.and was the party house among my circle of friends as it had a pool and skybox game room.

It's gone now, but every once in a while I go to each of the places i used to live just to see what's changed.

Like Amethyst, your post brought back fiond memories for me too, but of a completely different nature to hers.

My memory is of a thread that was started way back, with the Title, "I think I broke the Mainland". Who wrote it? Oh yes. It was you lol. Do you remember that far back? The result of it was that I, and maybe others, used the flaw that you discovered to shoot mainland way up in spikes, overriding the +/- limits. I don't remeber how high my spikes got but I do remember they a *very* long way up, and I remember trying to outdo someone to see who could create the highest spike. You weren't competing. All you did was break the Mainland - there's nothing clever about that lol.

My Alien Love.jpg

I found her!

It took me some searching around the mountainsides but I found her!

But all she does is gaze euphorically off into the sky.  She does not move or answer me.  I do not know how long she has been standing there in that state.

In the sky her space craft hovers but it is locked and I can not enter it.

I wish I could find a way to enter and read her ships logs.  Perhaps find a clue to how she came to be there.  And a clue to her euphoria.

She's the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.

I think the Martian is in love..............

Aaah, happy days :)

That occasion was the first (and maybe the only) time I met you inworld. I went over to see what you were talking about, took a couple of steps towards you on some unassuming ground, and was hurled way up into the sky, much to the merriment of you and the one who was with you as I recall lol.

It actually became a bit of a pain later on. The guy on the sim next to mine put a forest of huge spikes up, and left them up long after the bug had been fixed. His thinking was to leave them there as testament to a time gone by. My thinking was that they were bl--dy ugly and I really didn't want them next to my land. They disappeared some time later.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Are all Martian females so much bigger than the males? I'm not at all sure I'd want to nuzzle into a woman who was so much bigger than me. They don't eat you afterwards, do they? :smileyfrustrated:

Of course they don't eat us!

And yes they are a little taller.

But look at those curves, her long luscious legs, so fertile, so ripe...............

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3626 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.