The Results Are In: Should Surveys Be Allowed On The SL Forums?

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I may be biased because I make my living by training people how to do research, and even do some research myself, but as long as the survey is well done I don't mind.   Sadly the few I have seen posted to the forums don't strike me as being well done. 

I also realize that I have some U.S. centric expectations about informed consent, but really, how hard is it to tell the folks you want to survey a bit about yourself and your institution?  If it really is for your disseration, tell us where you go to school and which department you are working in. 

I also recognize that the OP was mostly having a bit of fun with this topic, but I might want to conduct a survey someday.  I saw some research today that I will read soon that might be useful to replicate with SL folks.  I've already wondered whether I could conduct this research because of survey fatigue. 

VRprofessor wrote:

I also recognize that the OP was mostly having a bit of fun with this topic, but I might want to conduct a survey someday.  I saw some research today that I will read soon that might be useful to replicate with SL folks.  I've already wondered whether I could conduct this research because of survey fatigue. 

I would venture to say that a survey request by a resident who clearly is involved in SL, has some forum participation under their belt, and approaches the survey request in a way that indicates an understanding of SL and its residents, might have much more success and cooperation than the "drive-by" surveyors that we usually encounter.   

maybe they should make a section in the forums for  these things..

most seem like someone just looking for an easy grade..

i look at those ones as spam..

some complain they don't have time because they are cramming..but isn't in this case getting in world and learning the whole point? cram in world and learn something rather than just coast through the class..

serious ones i will read and check out..but the ones that need this last minute help...bleh..shoudl have gotten here sooner..no easy A's from me..

If nothing else, these surveyors should be learning how hard it is to get a balanced representative response to a survey. Perhaps their teachers have sent them here because they know the problems will be so starkly revealed? They may be looking for critical discussion of the difficulties in effective surveying, rather than the results of the surveys themselves. I wonder how many get the bonus marks for that?

We should look at all the surveys people have been throwing at us for the past few years and create a giant all inclusive survey. Then we should go in-world  and get maybe 100 SL users to answer it. Once that's done we can post it up on a site somewhere and anyone who needs a survey can just get that and be done with it.

results.jpg

Disclaimer:  These results are non scientific because it was a self selecting survey.  Also, there was no way to know how many Alts voted.  Any attempt to use these results in an academic study would automatically result in a failed grade.

Thanks to all who participated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.