Has anyone given up a job for Second Life?

HyperBaby

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes I did and for about 2 years I made well over 6 figures between SexGen and my Club Jenna Islands project where we opened the first Professional Adult Content Sponsored region with Playboy/Jenna Jameson, Met-Art, Girls Gone Wild, Vivid and Scores Cabaret as supporting it.

It was the most work I have ever done on anything with 7 days a week and typical days where 12-20 hours of work.  Though trying and exhausting at times, it was probably the most fun I have ever had but I really wished I had put more thought into before I left good 6 figure job as an executive with a company I really miss.

I think more than anything I needed to look at what I could have gained over what I was giving up and in the end, I gave up too much for what I got in return.

Prokofvy Neva (just so she picks it up on her searches). 

In my time in SL my lands have abutted her rental lands more times than I care to mention.  In each instance I've cast an eye over her plots and not once have I seen them with more than 10 % occupied, and I'm being generous.

Either this woman has some fantastic sims somewhere where people are paying incredible sums to live on or she is paying through the nose for an ego or entry into the FIC.  I'm led to believe by herself that SL is now her primary empoyment so if you can drill down and find out how she survives by renting a lot of sims at <10% occupancy we would all be wiser and richer.

P.S. I could be wrong this is only from my observations.

I didn't give up a job but I work full time in SL.  I was laid off from my last real world job and was lucky enough to receive a generous severance package that allowed me to take a couple years off.  An artist in RL, I came to SL originally  to do content creation for entertainment after reading about SL in my local paper.  After a while, people saw my work and liked it then started to ask me to do custom work for them. I built my first full sim when I was six months old.  It just grew from there and over time I've diversified, acquired a business partner and have become a full service SL Solution Provider.

I have worked harder in here than I ever did in any real world job and I held some pretty tough management jobs in real world business.  .  On the plus side, I enjoy it a lot more, you can't beat the commute or the dress code and being my own boss is great.

Melita Magic wrote:

Never made a single penny in SL so no.

I have to say I wouldn't mind knowing how though.

I am not sure it's possible in the current economy for a novice builder to do so.

There is always room, all you have to do is:-

Make something (unique) that people want, market it successfully and sell with great execution.

Blend with that a passion for customer care and there's no reason you can't be successful.

One way to guarantee that you will not be successful is to never try.

(I wouldn't give up a full time job for SL, the risk to place my income around LL's decisions is in my opinion, too high.  It would be little more than becoming an employee for LL but without representation.  However, planning a career around content and 3D modelling, animating etc that is portable across many sales outlets would be a different prospect and some do that too.  Having said that, I did start my business here when I was inbetween RL jobs.)

Sassy Romano wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Never made a single penny in SL so no.

I have to say I wouldn't mind knowing how though.

I am not sure it's possible in the current economy for a novice builder to do so.

There is always room, all you have to do is:-

Make something (unique) that people want, market it successfully and sell with great execution.

Blend with that a passion for customer care and there's no reason you can't be successful.

One way to guarantee that you will not be successful is to never try.

(I wouldn't give up a full time job for SL, the risk to place my income around LL's decisions is in my opinion, too high.  It would be little more than becoming an employee for LL but without representation.  However, planning a career around content and 3D modelling, animating etc that is portable across many sales outlets would be a different prospect and some do that too.  Having said that, I did start my business here when I was inbetween RL jobs.)

I would LOVE to do something like that.  I have tons of ideas all the time, but not the skills. How do people make a living at that in other places? I guess that's a question for another time and place. I wish I could script too - I wouldn't have to tug the sleeve of patient, brilliant friends so often.  :)

I keep thinking if...when...but really the perfect time and space for something never comes, does it? It's always just when it begins. That's the perfect time, in the end.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.