HOW CAN I HAVE TOTAL GROUP CONTROL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone. I own a group, and I have differen't roles in them. Each role includes a different tag, for special events etc. I want users to be able to change their tage willingly, but nothing more. I ask them to be able to change their tag, but they say it's blacked out. So I'm guessing they can't? What options do I even have?

I also wanted to know if it's possible to have new members automatically get assigned to other roles by default...

Help would be appriciated, thanks!

Go to the Roles tab and click a roll. Uncheck everything you do not want them to be able to do.  I'd let them all receive group notices and chat, but its up to you or they won't receive or be able to communicate within the group  Check Apply.

Then go to the members list in the group profile. Click each members name and in the lower left corner check which roles they should have. All will have the everyone role,up to you what other rolls each has.  Do this for each member. Click Apply

Note that anyone in the owner role can do everything.  If you have another owner, the only way to restrict what they can do is have them leave the group then add them in at another level lower than Owner.  If they refuse you can't do anything. One owner cannot eject another owner or restrict their authority.

The member should now be able to change their tags.  If they can't there is a problem with the group and you will need to file a support ticket.

I am sorry if my help offended you.  However you did ask two questions, How can you have total control of the group, and a question about members changing their tags.  I answered the questions you asked.  If all you wanted was an answer to a technical problem with your group you should just asked that question or just filed a support ticket.

How a group breaks like this I can't answer as what is causing this is unknown.   That question should be directed to LL.  This is a resident to resident forum and the Lindens generally don't read posts or reply to them here. There is no way for anyone here to give a correct answer to your one question as we don't have access to what LLdoes.

Yes, I have.  I have had all kinds of problems with groups over the years.  In addition to this problem, I've had groups whose notices and chat don't work,where you could attach stuff to a notice, when i couldn't add someone or add or change a role.  As i said, its been known to happen. As i also stated, sometimes problems like this resolve themselves in a few days and sometimes I've had to file a support ticket.

i understand what you are asking..i've been trying to find the setting for it or how it was setup in some groups i had been in..

like when i joined the group..there were already like 5 roles or group tags i could wear from the start..

i believe it's the assign any member assigner role on the everyone role then you set those role abilities on each role to what you want..which can be like just group chat or whatever..but everyone would have that  being in the everyone role anyways..setting to that won't give them officer or owner roles..

so realyl all you are doing is setting people to the roles you make..not the roles that are default roles..

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Congratulations on understanding the OP.  I didn't but whatever.

Here's a related JIRA:

edit: read the comments on this other related JIRA for a laugh or to induce vomiting (depending on your sense of humor)

i only understood the one part..mainly because thats what i was interested in for a group of mine..

as far as there being problems with groups..that i have no idea about..

i've just been trying to set mine up so they can automatically choose the role or tag they want without having to be added..

Zadd Xonfor wrote:

That responce did not help me one bit, except the support ticket part.

How can a group even become defective?

I'm asking how I can make it to where other members don't have a greyed out box for a dropdown menu of tags they can have.

Wow Zadd, just wow. Someone writes a detailed answer to try and help you and this is how you respond? Wow. Her answer made sense - and you should apologize.

Ceka Cianci wrote:

so realyl all you are doing is setting people to the roles you make..not the roles that are default roles..

Actually you can use the default roles if you want to and just change the abilities that role has. So you can give an army of officer tags that have no more ability than the'everyone' role, if you are just trying to massage egos or its for a roleplay group. You can even delete that role.The only roles you have to keep are Owner and Everyone.  Other than that you can make you own roles up and name them what you want and give them any ability or not as you please.  The only limit is the number of roles a group can have.

Zadd Xonfor wrote:

Hello everyone. I own a group, and I have differen't roles in them. Each role includes a different tag, for special events etc. I want users to be able to change their tage willingly, but nothing more. I ask them to be able to change their tag, but they say it's blacked out. So I'm guessing they can't? What options do I even have?

I also wanted to know if it's possible to have new members automatically get assigned to other roles by default...

Help would be appriciated, thanks!

Since there's one tag per role, you have assign multiple roles to each user. You assign the roles that correspond to the tags you want them to have. Note that you can only have 10 roles, including Owner, Officer, and Everyone. If this is what you've done, your group is probably glitched and filing a support ticket (as noted in other posts) is the next step.

New members are automatically added to the Everyone role. A group member with the "Assign members to any role" ability has to do the rest.

If you haven't already seen it, this article may help: Creating, managing, moderating, and disbanding groups

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.