The resident who provided the previous content, if any, has replaced it with this generic statement.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Scripted objects can't send a direct invitation, only an message with a link in it.  Those you can block by blocking the owner.

I may be wrong, but if its a bot doing it by using the group's actual inviter, I'm not sure you can block that.  Groups can't be blocked to my knowledge, just ignored or declined.  I'd contact the group owner and tell them I they don't stop you will AR them and their bot though.  Even if the owner isn't doing it and the bot belongs to someone else the bot has to be a member of the group and can be kicked out. 

Seems like harassment to me.

Maybe you should start a JIRA to be able to block groups.

I agree with this gripe.

What puzzles me is that you get the option to accept, decline(ignore) or BLOCK.  I'll have to do a screen capture next time I get one.  Because it says "BLOCKING" will block all future offers from this person.  But it sure as hell is not working that way.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

If the group has more than one group owner, couldn't the inviter bot from said group be sending it from more than one name? Try looking up the group and blocking any name that is in bold type.

I should have captured the info but -  I think the notification listed the name of the bot or when I opened the notice it listed the name of the bot.  The same bot I already had blocked.  If it happens again I'll gather my facts more carefully.

This is what is puzzling me also.  The spam i am getting is from the same individual (or bot).

I thought when you blocked an Individual it stopped all offers from the Individual.

Maybe I'm wrong about that.  I need to look into this more.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

If the group has more than one group owner, couldn't the inviter bot from said group be sending it from more than one name? Try looking up the group and blocking any name that is in bold type.

I should have captured the info but -  I think the notification listed the name of the bot or when I opened the notice it listed the name of the bot.  The same bot I already had blocked.  If it happens again I'll gather my facts more carefully.

This is what is puzzling me also.  The spam i am getting is from the same individual (or bot).

I thought when you blocked an Individual it stopped all offers from the Individual.

Maybe I'm wrong about that.  I need to look into this more.

I suddenly remembered that I have alts I can invite to a group.    So - I invite an alt to my group.  He blocks me and then declines the invite.  Then I invite him again.  The same notices, same wording are sent before and after being blocked.

Photos below.

InitialInvite.PNG

InviteByBlocked.PNG

Can you duplicate that test sending an object?

Thanks

Last night I got an offer again from the Resident/Object I have been having trouble with.  I discovered some interesting things as I again tried to deal with this.  I was using Firestorm Beta (Mesh Viewers run really bad on my computer) but I suspect the results would have been the same with the official viewer.  The last screen shot will explain why.

First screen shot...I get the Spam.  ETA: I am not in his group...that is only the name of the notecard he is sending.

Blocked 1.jpg

Notice that I still have the option to block it.  I bring up my Blocked list.

Blocked 2.jpg

I have two instances of this "object being blocked and I also have the Resident blocked.  But notice carefully that it says he is "Blocked By Name."

I brought up His profile.  He is already "Blocked."  My option is to "Unblock" but I do NOT do this.

Blocked 3.jpg

I TP to the store and try again to "unsubscribe" but get error message again that "this function is not available."  Sorry but no screen shot of this.  However looking around, I see that the Spammer is in the store.  One second, this is odd.  Blocked  Residents are supposed to appear as a cloud to me. (Again note, my viewer doesn't render Mesh).

I bring up my Blocked List again.  He is on it.  Curiously now there is only one instance of the Object.  My guess is when I tried to interact with it (unsubsribe) that it got removed from my list and then got added back when I Muted it again.

Blocked 6.jpg

I click on his Avatar because I want to ask that he remove me from his list and I see in the Menu (no screen shot) that I still have the ability to "Mute" him.  This I do and poof, he is now a cloud to me.  But also note that there are two instances of his name, but also note the difference in the way they are listed.  You can also see now over his head that he is blocked.

Blocked 7.jpg

So apparently there are TWO types of blocking.  Blocking by name, that is doing it with the Profile is not giving the desired or anticipated result.

Just for reference I did log in with the current Official Viewer this morning  and checked the blocked list there.  You can see that there are two instances of this Residents name in the list. 

Blocked 8.jpg

It would be nice if someone could duplicate ALL of the above steps with the Official Viewer.  Running the Official Viewer gives my computer very bad heartburn.  If blocking "long distance" is not working with the Official Viewer then we can file the appropriate JIRA.

Thanks

Perrie

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Did this issue die?

The last few days I've been out of SL except to jump in for some land issues.

I have to say I'm becoming confused.  The distinction between banning by name and by resident is a puzzle.   I'm thinking the implmentation of muting/blocking is an odd collection of after thought kluges.  In some cases I think the implementation requires the viewer to silently reject things rather than having the server refuse to present the offers.

I will try another run at this re-looking things with your added details & also using the LL viewer.   Likely I'll get to it in about a week.  (I'm on the road atm)

Thanks for responding.  Confirmation of the problem by another person would be good before filing a JIRA. 

Have the Chipmunks already started their Winter Migration?  It does seem rather early in the season.

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Qwalyphi Korpov wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Did this issue die?

The last few days I've been out of SL except to jump in for some land issues.

I have to say I'm becoming confused.  The distinction between banning by name and by resident is a puzzle.   I'm thinking the implmentation of muting/blocking is an odd collection of after thought kluges.  In some cases I think the implementation requires the viewer to silently reject things rather than having the server refuse to present the offers.

I will try another run at this re-looking things with your added details & also using the LL viewer.   Likely I'll get to it in about a week.  (I'm on the road atm)

Thanks for responding.  Confirmation of the problem by another person would be good before filing a JIRA. 

Have the Chipmunks already started their Winter Migration?  It does seem rather early in the season.

No, we don't migrate - we go to hyber nation.  Just a summer trip to visit the relatives.

I'm gonna study this again today.  I think I remember looking for block recently in the web profiles and not finding it there.

Thank you for getting back to this.

When I finally blocked the Merchant in question, I did so from the 'pie' menu.  I was using Firestorm at the time.

Since that time I have not received (seen) any more offers.

• 4 months later...

Bump time!

Here's what's happening to me:

Each time I TP into a certain SIM, I am confronted with a group invite by a bot. Blocking the bot has no effect - I still receive them. The bot is nowhere in the vicinity, but receives instructions from a script running in an object very near the TP area. I was able to glean this information from the owner of the bot, who is pleading ignorance. Of course blocking the object would do no good, as it's not where the invite is coming from.

I have refrained from using a confrontational tone with the bots owner so far, letting him know in a friendly way that he should use a database to keep track of AVs that have already been invited, etc. But I don't think he has any intention of doing anything about the situation.

I would like to know how I can actually block the bot's invitations rather than start filing ARs on a daily basis.

So has anyone here found out anything?

Thanks in advance!

Nyles Nestler wrote:

Bump time!

Here's what's happening to me:

Each time I TP into a certain SIM, I am confronted with a group invite by a bot. Blocking the bot has no effect - I still receive them. The bot is nowhere in the vicinity, but receives instructions from a script running in an object very near the TP area. I was able to glean this information from the owner of the bot, who is pleading ignorance. Of course blocking the object would do no good, as it's not where the invite is coming from.

I have refrained from using a confrontational tone with the bots owner so far, letting him know in a friendly way that he should use a database to keep track of AVs that have already been invited, etc. But I don't think he has any intention of doing anything about the situation.

I would like to know how I can actually block the bot's invitations rather than start filing ARs on a daily basis.

So has anyone here found out anything?

Thanks in advance!

Are you just choosing to mute/block the object when you get the message?

Try this if you haven't.  The message should tell you the name of the Bot,  Open it's profile.  Choose "mute" in its profile.  If it already shows you have it muted (the button will read "unmute") at least toggle it on and off. 

If this does not work, I don't know another suggestion.

Hi Perrie,

You asked:

That last sentence in the first paragraph of my first post is:

Of course blocking the object would do no good, as it's not where the invite is coming from.

Also -  I have toggled the mute / block on the offending bot's profile, to no effect.

So it would appear that group invitations from scripted agents can't be blocked.

The angel on my shoulder is whispering, "Pick your battles..."

The devil on my shoulder is saying, "C'mon....it's been a while since you've indulged yourself with a rage-fest of righteous indignation!"

Nyles Nestler wrote:

Hi Perrie,

You asked:

That last sentence in the first paragraph of my first post is:
Of course blocking the object would do no good, as it's not where the invite is coming from.

Also -  I have toggled the mute / block on the offending bot's profile, to no effect.

So it would appear that group invitations from scripted agents can't be blocked.

The angel on my shoulder is whispering, "Pick your battles..."

The devil on my shoulder is saying, "C'mon....it's been a while since you've indulged yourself with a rage-fest of righteous indignation!"

When I'm out and about in SL I don't really pay attention to the source of all the Invites, I just close them.

So I may need to keep an eye open for  this and see if I can figure something out.

Another question would be which Viewer are you using?  A Bug Report may be called for.

There was a related issue I brought up last March.  What The Scam Is Going On.   A JIRA was started, VWR-28743.  Within a couple of days Firestorm had a code fix implemented and in their Viewer and gave Linden Lab the code fix.  I guess any more I shouldn't be shocked,  but even though Linden Lab acknowledeged it, "Reprod and cloned. Thanks everyone!" it is still marked unresolved and to my knowledge has still not been fixed in the Official Viewer.

I really think that expected behaviour would be you should be able to Mute the Bot.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.