Giving a friend edit permission

peckerhead19

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I'm fairly new, so please forgive me if I sound naive. I made a friend that I really like and he invited me to join his group. Which I did. He said because of the new sim he's building on, which he showed me, and other reasons we needed to share edit permission. I got the warning that I shouldn't do this except for people that I really trust, but I guess I'm not fully aware what this permission does and i went ahead. We both have edit permission for each other.

I just bought a HUD (tansferable) and then the friend popped online and I wanted to show him the hud and I went to get it in my inventory and it was gone. I've restarted, done a bunch of things, looked in the lost and found folder. Does giving him permission allow him to see my inventory and take something if he wants? (I so don't want to believe that he took the hud, he seesm extremely nice and I like him, but I'm from NYC and am guarded, so I'm suspicious). If he can see my inventory, can I see his? One strange thingI just noticed  is when I mouse over the permissions, it says I can edit his objects, but when I mouse over what I gave to him, it says he can edit, delete or take my objects. This seems odd. Have I been scammed?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

the edit permission only works for things rezzed in the world.

it does not give access to your inventory, or to edit things you are wearing.

when no-copy stuff disappears from your inventory, like when you try to rez it in a place where you didn't set the right group first, a relog often (not always) turns it back up in your inventory.

peckerhead19 wrote:

Hi,

I'm fairly new, so please forgive me if I sound naive.

Welcome peckerhead19 and don't worry, no questions are to naive here. SL is horrendously complex and even the most experienced users get lost sometimes. :)

peckerhead19 wrote:

Does giving him permission allow him to see my inventory and take something if he wants?

No, shared edit permissions only apply to objects rezzed inworld. Nobody else can alter anything you wear or you have in your inventory. Nobody else can even see what you have in your inventory. Unfortunately, although inventory losses aren't as common as some people say, they do happen. There are several possible reasons but they are never caused by other avatars.

peckerhead19 wrote:

One strange thingI just noticed  is when I mouse over the permissions, it says I can edit his objects, but when I mouse over what I gave to him, it says he can edit, delete or take my objects. This seems odd. Have I been scammed?

It just means he has given you the same rights to his objects as you have given him.

Now, about that lost HUD, you may want to contact the seller, explain the problem and ask very politely for a redelivery. You can't expect a redelivery of a no-copy item but most SL sellers are nice people when you treat them well and there's no harm in asking.

A note of caution:

Giving someone edit permission allows them to take your rezzed objects and there's nothing you can do about. It's usually ok, but today's trusted person can quickly become tomorrow's enemy, and some enemies take it out on the other person. It does happen in SL, even with people who are partnered and all lovey-dovey.

I'm curious as to why he thought it a good idea to share editing permissions. I'm not a New Yorker, but I can still think cynically. New Yorkers don't have exclusive rights on that :)

I am sometimes over-cautious, but I was also curious as to why your friend thought that edit permissions were needed on each other's items.  Are you helping with the building and he may need to move some of the objects you put out (and you may need to move some of the objects he puts out)?   I would probably NOT put out any objects that were no copy, to lessen the possibility of losing them. 

That's what I do. I never have any need to let someone edit my stuff but, as a merchant, it's sometimes useful to be able to edit a customer's stuff. On those occasions, I remind them to turn it off afterwards. Sometimes they say, "It's ok", but I tell them it's not ok, because, if something disappears - not a rare occurance - I'd rather not be considered to be a possible suspect. Then they turn it off.

At first your post worried me because the things you said this person told you reminded me of an ex-SL-boyfriend who took advantage of newbies on his sim. Maybe I'm just projecting, but you don't need to let someone else have permissions over your objects for any long than it takes for them to move them or adjust them in some way.

As others have said, giving someone Edit Permissions does not let them take items from your inventory. It doesn't let them take No Transfer items either. It can let them take No Copy/ Transferable items. On No Modify/ No Transfer items, the worst they can do is send them back to your Lost and Found folder or keep them rez on their sim, even after they might kick you out. On a Modifiable object, they could make it Temporary to make it delete itself permanently, but if it's Copyable, you'll still have the original in your inventory.

Phil Deakins wrote:

That's what I do. I never have any need to let someone edit my stuff but, as a merchant, it's sometimes useful to be able to edit a customer's stuff. On those occasions, I remind them to turn it off afterwards. Sometimes they say, "It's ok", but I tell them it's not ok, because, if something disappears - not a rare occurance - I'd rather not be considered to be a possible suspect. Then they turn it off.

I'm with you on this.

Whenever a friend gives me edit rights I ask them to rescind them when done so there are no accidents.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.