Forced Teleportation Griefing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A group of friends and I were hanging out today when out of the blue all of us received the message "you have been teleported by an objected owned by....."  in my case my name was the owner of the object that TPed me, and the objects that TPed my friends had their names as the owner.  All of us were TPed from a no script, no build, no push sim, to The Corn Field (which by the way is a very interesting place) and then to a weapons sandbox, then back to The Corn Field.  Each of us had to relog in order to get back to are starting point, because trying to TP via landmarks failed and we wound up right back at The Cornfield.

From what I personally saw several sims were hit in this fashion, including a bunch of poor Bronies

The same thing happened in the London City hub.  Myself and everyone else present was teleported to the Violet Infohub.  The same message as above (replace with my name) was given in local chat.  I couldn't get back so I logged out and back in.  Others who stayed reported being transported en mass from there to other infohubs.

Interesting. Sounds like an "unintended consequence" of https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlTeleportAgentGlobalCoords

That it allowed you to go to The Corn Field reveals a serious design flaw, IMO. That sim (not the numbered clones) is not pubicly accessible. Which means one could potentially use this to get into places they should not.

Filing a SEC JIRA...

Marianne McCann wrote:

Interesting. Sounds like an "unintended consequence" of 

That it allowed you to go to The Corn Field reveals a serious design flaw, IMO. That sim (not the numbered clones) is not pubicly accessible. Which means one could potentially use this to get into places they should not.

Filing a SEC JIRA...

This sounds wild.  Especially because the way this script is supposed to function:

"To run this function the script must request the PERMISSION_TELEPORT permission with llRequestPermissions and it must be granted by agent.(my bolding)

Marianne McCann wrote:

That it allowed you to go to The Corn Field reveals a serious design flaw, IMO. That sim (not the numbered clones) is not pubicly accessible.
Which means one could potentially use this to get into places they should not.

Filing a SEC JIRA...

Hm no, the Cornfield is open all year, it is even listed in the Destination Guide as a SL Origin: https://secondlife.com/destination/the-corn-field

:)

My experience so far:

I haven't been hit directly with it myself - but several friends and one of two bots I have running on a sim got whisked away.

It appears the greifer attack is limited to a number of meters (from where it is deployed) as other people in skyboxes and the far parts of the sim were unaffected the whole time. This may indicate the attack may be limted to the attacking viewer's view range or an object detection range.

As for the bot - according to the logs she was hit with an object masking her own name, ripped off her base station and got sent to several sims including the cornfield and a weapons sandbox a couple of times and ended up finding her in a pile of other unfortunate bots from other sims in one of the Brony places. Had to relog the bot to send her home.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Marianne McCann wrote:

That it allowed you to go to The Corn Field reveals a serious design flaw, IMO. That sim (not the numbered clones) is not pubicly accessible.
Which means one could potentially use this to get into places they should not.

Filing a SEC JIRA...

Hm no, the Cornfield is open all year, it is even listed in the Destination Guide as a SL Origin:

:)

That is new news!  For the longest time it was closed to "public" access.

"It is located at the North-West tip of Orientation Island 1 and closed to the public."

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/The_Corn_Field

Mudslinger Ning wrote:

My experience so far:

I haven't been hit directly with it myself - but several friends and one of two bots I have running on a sim got whisked away.

It appears the greifer attack is limited to a number of meters (from where it is deployed) as other people in skyboxes and the far parts of the sim were unaffected the whole time. This may indicate the attack may be limted to the attacking viewer's view range or an object detection range.

As for the bot - according to the logs she was hit with an object masking her own name, ripped off her base station and got sent to several sims including the cornfield and a weapons sandbox a couple of times and ended up finding her in a pile of other unfortunate bots from other sims in one of the Brony places. Had to relog the bot to send her home.

I wonder if this is using the security flaw detailed in this thread and the corresponding JIRA to hide it's true origin.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/What-The-Scam-Is-Going-On/td-p/1477327/highlight/true/page/2

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-28743?

Even though it is set as a major bug and reprod almost two months ago it is still marked unresolved!

16 wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

"To run this function the script must request the
permission with
and it must be granted by
agent
(my bolding)

yes. this is how it supposed to work. and it does if write/use it the way is documented

Apparently then there must be something wrong with the "MUST REQUEST" if this is what is being used.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Hm no, the Cornfield is open all year, it is even listed in the Destination Guide as a SL Origin:

Link goes to The Corn Field2, one of the instances I was referring to. NOT the original, Linden access only The Corn Field (no number).

Eay way to tell them apart: the instances all have spooky Halloween stuff in them, the original does not.

Marianne McCann wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Marianne McCann wrote:

Okay, looks like a fix is in process.

Can you provide a link to the JIRA?

Not with a SEC JIRA, I'm afraid :matte-motes-not-even:

Right.  I had forgot about that. 

I also posted a link to this thread in Oskar's server updates thread.

The potentials for abuse of this function even after they get the permissions issue ironed out is way to big IMHO.  We shall see. 

Is this griefing? Or a flaw?

I suppose you'd call it both. An exploit was discovered in a new function that isn't even quite deployed yet, and one or more griefers are using it to do that for which we so love and admire them. :matte-motes-yawn:

It's not a flaw that happens spontaneously, if that's what you mean.

Looks like there may be an emergency fix going down right now

Emergency Deploy Starting Now

06-04-2012 02:36 PM

To solve a security issue with the Experience Tools that were deployed to Magnum last week we are doing an emergency simulator rolling restart deploy. This has already begun.

This forced teleporation can be a hazard if someone simboards around, even when there's a simball game in progress. One team member can be knocked out if he or she faced a forced teleportation. This can also be troublesome to drivers who race, as one racer goes fast on a track going 200 MPH or so then BAM he gets teleported without warning, ejecting from his car and stopping a vehicle, causing it a hazard for other racers that that can cause a multi car collision. This can be a bad time for clubs also. Good thing LL is conducting an emergency deploy to fix this.

Elite Runner wrote:

This forced teleporation can be a hazard if someone simboards around, even when there's a simball game in progress. One team member can be knocked out if he or she faced a forced teleportation. This can also be troublesome to drivers who race, as one racer goes fast on a track going 200 MPH or so then BAM he gets teleported without warning, ejecting from his car and stopping a vehicle, causing it a hazard for other racers that that can cause a multi car collision. This can be a bad time for clubs also. Good thing LL is conducting an emergency deploy to fix this.

Please stop shouting at us.

Pretty please!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.