Facebook to Buy Oculus VR

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Deltango Vale wrote:

While I am horrified at the prospect of Facebook buying Second Life, it would make sense. The ancient technology of SL is not important. What's important is the brand, the history, the userbase and the experience of Linden Lab's employees in managing a full-scale political economy. Needless to say, the ancient technology of Facebook (including its lousy interface) has not impeded its success.

Indeed all those things are very important factors in anyone buying SL - all of them NEGATIVE factors. It would be utter lunacy for Facebook to buy Second Life - old, high-maintenance code; old, high-maintenance hardware; old, high-maintenance users. None of them well suited for a large influx of new casual users.

If Facebook's looking to get into virtual worlds I'd bet they'd go after High Fidelity. New technology designed for distributed computing and an emphasis on "augmentation" rather than "immersion" and with a strong bias toward the virtual-reality hardware they've just made a large investment in.

To be honest, I've wondered if Oculus would go anywhere at all. I've used VR for nearly two decades now (approximately since the Forte VFX1 if anyone remembers that - I still have mine) and while it's cool, it's unusable for the majority of the population:

* You can't see the keyboard. Most people can't touch-type.

* A fairly significant percentage of people gets very nauseated by VR (even more than the 10% or so that get nauseated by 3D movies)

* VR practically requires a different UI. Nearly no software that I know of supports that.

* Most VR hardware, including Oculus Rift, requires driver support of some kind.

FB buying Oculus just means Oculus is going down the drain. Nothing new, they haven't been going anywhere to begin with, aside from burning money left and right.

VR hasn't been "the next great thing", ever. Nor will it ever be. Augmented Reality maybe, but even there I highly doubt it. Look at Google Glass. That too is going absolutely nowhere.

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

To be honest, I've wondered if Oculus would go anywhere at all. I've used VR for nearly two decades now (approximately since the Forte VFX1 if anyone remembers that - I still have mine) and while it's cool, it's unusable for the majority of the population:

* You can't see the keyboard. Most people can't touch-type.

* A fairly significant percentage of people gets very nauseated by VR (even more than the 10% or so that get nauseated by 3D movies)

* VR practically requires a different UI. Nearly no software that I know of supports that.

* Most VR hardware, including Oculus Rift, requires driver support of some kind.

FB buying Oculus just means Oculus is going down the drain. Nothing new, they haven't been going anywhere to begin with, aside from burning money left and right.

VR hasn't been "the next great thing", ever. Nor will it ever be. Augmented Reality maybe, but even there I highly doubt it. Look at Google Glass. That too is going absolutely nowhere.

I first donned VR goggles when I was a teen, and although it was neat, it left me wanting. I'm certain Oculus has come a long way since the Evans and Sutherland thing I tried (wireframe images only), but I'm inclined to agree with you.

In the case of Glass, I'm really curious how it affects eye-contact. I'm already annoyed by people who won't look me in the eye.

;-)

Perrie Juran wrote:

Hrdtop75 Deluxe wrote:

Looks like the Cheeseburger is flashing the cash.

2-billion-dollars.png

I was thinking a little bit about this 2 Billion Bananas.

Palmer says it gives him much needed funding for R&D.

So how much of it will he be contractually required to use for this purpose?  In other words, he didn't just now earn 2 Billion, though I'd bet there is still a nice profit in it for him.

I read it was 400 million now, the rest in stock, with an additional 300 million if a set goal is obtained.  

Derek Torvalar wrote:

"Facebook, in turn, gets a whole heap of patents out of Oculus, and uses the technology it develops to help progress other devices that fit more cleanly into the Facebook market model."

A search of the USPTO database shows that Oculus VR, Inc. currently owns... one patent, issued a week ago. Note that the patent is a design patent for the ornamentation of the headset, and not concerned with the operational technology.

I found no applications.

I imagine there could be applications filed under other names (perhaps for purposes of obfuscation) or with requests for nonpublication (which carries restrictions), but it takes a magnificent leap of journalistic ignorance to believe Oculus has a "whole heap" of anything except... Facebook's cash and stock.

ETA: Additional info concerning applications and dialing back of unwarranted certainty ;-)

FB sucks

3d movies suck

imax theaters suck

gooogle glass sucks

occulus rift will probably suck too , all these things were supposed to be the next big thing, this news does not excite  

me me nor caus dread .  it means nothing .   SL will not be affected by this news at all,  good or bad.

.true.jpgtumblr_mzr9eq7Lqi1qljj91o1_500.jpg

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

I believe I recently opined that Oculus Rift wouldn't go anywhere.

Oops!

Well you were correct!  The IPR owner of course will be going wherever the f$%k he wants from now on and always in 1st class (grats him!).  

However, I have a friend who works for EA (only an accountant I'm afraid, nothing sexy or dungeon dwellerish) who told me a while ago that EA and it's sub-developers (*cough DICE - Battlefield series) hadn't planned on developing any games optimised for OR till late 2016 when they expected OR to have some kind of consumer release and that anything from OR that came to market would only have some basic backworked patch to make planned or present games compatible.

With the latest news of the FB deal all bets are off notwithstanding all the problems that they were having designing an OR that would would work across all game engines.  Indeed it was OR's willingness to provide a product and work with everybody that would do this that has been holding up progress for a consumer release rather than another generation of an SDK release conveniently released a few weeks before the FB announcement .  However, the thought now prevails (at least within EA I hear) that it will now be the FB way and nothing else, which no developer at this point is happy with.  

This is great news for the other VR developers who now have a chance to make up the technology gap enjoyed by OR and for some to take the gamble and tailor their product to a specific game engine and hope that it's the one to hit the motherlode.  

None of the game developer behemoths are going to allow themselves to be tied to the FB behemoth (see Steam) so FB will have downgrade what they expect from this deal and if they haven't factored that in then they have paid well over the odds for a product that hasn't made or met a consumer expectation product yet.

It's like the IBM/Windows deal all over again except this time it's not something so big as an OS it's only a peripheral that once it's back engineered can be mass produced by anybody...including the big game developers and some guy in Hong Kong.  In short FB will ensure that this technology is brought to market quicker, but whether they enjoy the profits is a moot point.

I think if I was shareholder of FB I'd rather they had been an investor than an owner.

GTY_facebook_buy_it_mar_140325_16x9_992.jpg

Ugh. I think the Oculus Rift is going to seriously suck now. I base this on how hard Facebook sucks. It's like touching a filet mignon with a turd. You're not going to consider cutting off the section that got touched. The whole thing just goes in the trash.

Another thing. Every single article on the Oculus rift shows a picture of a person wearing a headset and that's it. I realize that a 2 dimensional website can't accurately portray the 3 dimensional view of the oculus but just showing a person wearing the headset is like writing about the Indy 500 and then showing a picture of a fan in the seats looking excited as he looks out to the racetrack. Come on! It shows how every single editor in the media is unable to think of any other way to show virtual reality. It's like how they show a metal bitcoin every time there is an article on bitcoin. Think of something else please.

At first I was sceptical about FB buying Rift.. tho they do have a track record like google of buying companies and leaving them alone to do their thing, just dumping money into it for progress.

Having Valve's cheif engineer for virtual reality jump ship over to Occulus after FB bought them, that turned my head.. as Valve's prototypes for VR headsets were considered the most advanced and provided the best experience of anyone's so far

UoRChow wrote:

Your contribution will help me understand what conditions in real life may influence your engagement in Second Life.

I don't want you to understand what real life conditions influence my SL engagement.  That being said, as Griffin so eloquently stated, you'd do better if you started your own thread about it.

...Dres *can't believe he actually spelled eloquently correctly on the first try*

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Ya know, usually when people post requests for other people to answer surveys such as this, it's easy enough to ignore. Just scroll on by to the next topic.

Posting such requests to an existing thread and violating my inbox in the process is just OBNOXIOUS.

The forum software has addressed this to me, but as I have not posted any surveys, and none seem to be still on this thread, I assume that it was taken down?

What was it about?

LaskyaClaren wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Ya know, usually when people post requests for other people to answer surveys such as this, it's easy enough to ignore. Just scroll on by to the next topic.

Posting such requests to an existing thread and violating my inbox in the process is just OBNOXIOUS.

The forum software has addressed this to me, but as I have not posted any surveys, and none seem to be still on this thread, I assume that it was taken down?

What was it about?

It was taken down... and was nothing but another run-of-the-mill survey.

...Dres

LaskyaClaren wrote:

The forum software has addressed this to me, ...

Well, it wasn't originally. It is odd that the software decided to address it to you instead of, say, Madelaine (instead of removing it altogether when the the survey request was).

What was it about?

No email notifications for you, then?

Some budding sociologist wanted help with their homework instead of going inworld and speaking to the natives like they were probably told to do.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.