Eurovision

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

No, I´m doing my best to avoid any Eurovision Song Contest material since my early childhood, but I was curious if someone mixed up Austria and Australia, hey cmon those few leters more or less cant realy make a differnce, so I actually listened to the song while reading the comments, and they do, kind of, explain Australia in the Eurovision. And I do like that reasoning. What was more interesting than the actual explanations though were the things like 'Australia is not in Europe but it still is a European country. They follow the queen like all european countries.' And, pertaining the song itself, someone wrote that they are proud of Guy, because he wrote the song in just three days...

edit: Though since I like the idea of some commenters that we should all vote for Australia, so the next Eurovision Song Contest would be staged in Australia...I´m tempted to watch and vote. Unfortunately opinions of the commenters on if the Australian song is even eligible for voting vary.

Flash Rowlands wrote:

@Zoe Tick

Do you know the difference between Eurovison and Europe?

smiles, guess not....:smileylol:

Its supposed to be a european contest. Australia has no place in this.

The contest in itself was ridicoulus in the last years, but thats the peak of stupidity.

Syo Emerald wrote:

Its supposed to be a european contest. Australia has no place in this.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=australia_to_take_part_in_eurovision

"Every year, when the Eurovision Song Contest is broadcast on screens all over Europe, it is also watched enthusiastically in Australia. They have been doing this since ABBA won in 1974."

"The Australians love the grandeur of the Eurovision Song Contest and what they themselves describe as the somewhat kitschy element to it, but people down there take it very seriously, and there are many people who watch it. It is a big deal for them."

"Also, many of them have European blood flowing through their veins, so for them it is also a connection to their roots in Europe. I believe that many Australians in one way or another have Europe in them, and many people can related to the show.  SBS is the Australian broadcaster that broadcasts the Eurovision Song Contest shows every year to Australian viewers."

Well, I guess it was the time to finally let them participate as they are so enthusiastic about the contest.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Flash Rowlands wrote:

@Zoe Tick

Do you know the difference between Eurovison and Europe?

smiles, guess not....:smileylol:

Not only do I know the difference, and the provenance of the Eurovision Song Contest, but I can spell it correctly.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Could be worse. Could have invited the Americans. That would have
really
set people off! ;-)

I have heard rumours that the USA is setting up a WorldVision Song Contest, involving a couple of dozen - nominally - US acts (including lots of Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans, and maybe the odd oriental band member) and one Canadian representative, which they claim will decide the best song in the World.

Or am I confusing it with baseball?

ZoeTick wrote:

Bring back Sir Terry is what I say!

On the occasions I watched it, I used to enjoy his measured cynicism of the whole shebang(-a-bang-bang). He annoyed me the other weekend, though, when he referred to Dana International as 'he'. 

There's a small but non-zero chance you might mean the other Sir Terry, in which case I'd like him back too. And compliments on the non sequitur. 

Kelli May wrote:

ZoeTick wrote:

Bring back Sir Terry is what I say!

On the occasions I watched it, I used to enjoy his measured cynicism of the whole shebang(-a-bang-bang). He annoyed me the other weekend, though, when he referred to Dana International as 'he'. 

There's a small but non-zero chance you might mean the other Sir Terry, in which case I'd like him back too. And compliments on the non sequitur. 

I thought Dana International was an airline. I am sure I flew on it once or twice in my youth.

PS Nice Lulu reference!

That was good article Bree, thanks. 

Speaking for myself, I like music and have watched a few Eurovision shows the last few years. Not got into the politics or the voting but just enjoyed the performances. 

The programme is broadcast into Australia by SBS and its that company that negotiated and financed Guy  Sebastian's 'guest'  entry this year. 

Like the other European countries, France, Britain, Spain and Italy, SBS has paid a hefty (undisclosed) fee, as well as the broadcasting fee, to enter the competition. SBS says they will not be making a profit but hope to win in the ratings game, expecting more than 1 million viewers to watch the Grand Final. 

Kelli May wrote:

I dont remember this incident but it only shows ignorance about Transgender identity. You would think any announcer reporting for television would be given advice on what to say!

ZoeTick wrote:

Even my children, whose grasp of geography is so slim that they are usully unsure whether to turn left or right out of our front door, have asked me: "But Australia isn't in Europe, is it?"

Good that it generated that conversation  :)

Taeem wrote:

No, I´m doing my best to avoid any Eurovision Song Contest material since my early childhood, but I was curious if someone mixed up Austria and Australia, hey cmon those few leters more or less cant realy make a differnce, so I actually listened to the song while reading the comments, and they do, kind of, explain Australia in the Eurovision. And I do like that reasoning. What was more interesting than the actual explanations though were the things like 'Australia is not in Europe but it still is a European country. They follow the queen like all european countries.' And, pertaining the song itself, someone wrote that they are proud of Guy, because he wrote the song in just three days...

edit: Though since I like the idea of some commenters that we should all vote for Australia, so the next Eurovision Song Contest would be staged in Australia...I´m tempted to watch and vote. Unfortunately opinions of the commenters on if the Australian song is even eligible for voting vary.

It would be wonderful if Eurovision came downunder ....just once  :)

I looked it up and apparently the regular voting regulations apply to Australia, too, I might watch and vote then, Eurovision going to Australia would be fun.

'Australia will be allowed to vote in both Semi-Finals, as well as the Grand Final. No country can vote for the performer representing them, which means viewers watching in Australia will not be able to vote for Guy Sebastian. Viewers in all other 39 participating countries can vote for Guy Sebastian.'

http://www.sbs.com.au/programs/eurovision/rate-and-vote/official-eurovision-voting

Taeem wrote:

Eurovision going to Australia would be fun.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=australia_to_participate_in_the_2015_eurovision_song_contest

"What if Australia wins? Would the contest take place down under?"

"No. In case Australia wins, SBS will co-host the Eurovision Song Contest in a European city, together with an EBU Member Broadcaster. Their participation is intended as a one-off, but in case of a victory, Australia will be allowed send a participant to the Eurovision Song Contest next year."

And some more info about non-European countries participation:

"Could Australia or other countries outside of Europe take part in the Eurovision Song Contest in the future?"

"Australia’s Eurovision Song Contest participation is a one-off initiative. But throughout its 60 years of development, new elements have been introduced to keep the Eurovision Song Contest exciting, surprising and relevant to the spirit of time. Who knows what the future will bring, as excitement about this European tradition spreads to other countries around the world?"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.