Does linden lab able to read private message?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, its very possible that they can do that and thats nothing new or exotic, as your chat happens trough their servers. Other companies with similar social options (read as: all companies with MMORPGs) can do that with their chat, too.

But don't worry. Nobody is reading your naughty conversations, just because its technically possible. Chats probably only get read when there is a need to do so. This may apply to some support /AR cases or even police investigation.

Yes they can read them.  However, with the millions of messages sent each day, no Linden is sitting around reading them they are just stored.  If you are AR'd for something related to the IM they can and probably may read them.

Just like anyplace on the web, don't say things or do things you wouldn't want the world to know.  Privacy is an illusion.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Write them in some obscure language, that will entertain them.

Early on in my Second Life I was dating a girl from Norway.  One day we ran into this one idiot (griefer) on a SIM.  I asked her in PM to give me some juicy things in Norwegian to say in public chat.  So we both stood there acting like we didn't understand English while we disparged his mother and other choice tid bits in Norwegian.

Ah, the good old days!

Sassy Romano wrote:

Write them in some obscure language, that will entertain them.

Re: Does linden lab able to read private message?

Hi, Does linden lab able to read private message?

This^^ doesn't read like an obscure language to you?  It ain't English. . .   

That can go horribly wrong.    Many years ago, in RL, I was married to a Gujerati, one of the Indians expelled from Uganda by Idi Amin whose family ended up in Britain.

We lived in an area of London with a large Indian population, and we were regular visitors to the local sweet-mart to pick up some of their home-made sweets and savory snacks.   This was a long time ago, and usually I was the only English person there.

Anyway, one day I'd gone down on my own to pick up some snacks to have in the apartment and, while I was waiting in line, the guy behind me made a remark to his friend, in Gurjerati, about me, in which he used an extremely objectionable racial slur to describe me. 

Dead silence in the store, both at the fact he'd used the term at all, I think, and particularly because the people behind the counter and several other regulars knew me, and realised that, while I was certainly not fluent in the language, I probably understood what was going on.

Being polite, I simply spun round, glared at him, and inquired, in Gujerati, "Did you just call me a **** ?   I understand that's not a very nice thing to say." 

After a moment, he and his friend started apoligising like crazy in both English and Gujerati, and the rest of the customers fell about laughing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3120 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.