Do you volunteer your time?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Greeting Everyone!  I want to recreate this thread in the new forums.  Do you volunteer your time here in Second Life!  I do! As many of you know I am a building teacher.  I teach at Help People Island, and at the Happy Hippo building school.  I teach Basic thru Advanced building classes.  Help People Island is where I do my volunteer work.  In my opinion, volunteering is a great way to help people, is a great way to meet new people, and it is good Karma too!  I think back when I was just a little noob, and the help that volunteers gave me to set me on the straight and narrow path!  If it was not for them, I most likely would have left SL long ago.  Yes, and my hats off to all of you the volunteer your time!

I want to add this bit!  Maybe you don't volunteer in Second Life.  How about Real Life then!
How about you people!  Do you volunteer your time and expertise?
Tell us about it!

Peace!

No i don´t, but i honour people who spend their time helping others.

This is a tricky thing and mentioned on the old forums.

If guiding a noob to much he could be quickly get bored. The best time for me was finding out all the hi´s and low´s about SL.

So, building schools are absolutely great for people, grabbing them at the welcome area and TP around, redress, reshape hand out LMs maybe not. Just my opinion.

Oh wait! tell them how to switch from basic to advanced viewer might be really needed smileywink:

Monti Messmer wrote:

No i don´t, but i honour people who spend their time helping others.

This is a tricky thing and mentioned on the old forums.

If guiding a noob to much he could be quickly get bored. The best time for me was finding out all the hi´s and low´s about SL.

So, building schools are absolutely great for people, grabbing them at the welcome area and TP around, redress, reshape hand out LMs maybe not. Just my opinion.

Oh wait! tell them how to switch from basic to advanced viewer might be really needed smileywink:

Oh yes Monti!  I downloaded the new Ver 2.6, but have not tried it yet.  Telling them how to switch from basic to advanced is a good point.  I will have to try the new viewer tonight!  Best wishes!

Peace!

It's great to see this thread back, Hippie. My volunteer time is centered more in RL than SL. Just copying what I wrote about my RL volunteer activities from the old thread:

IN RL, I was until about a year ago a volunteer tutor with an adult literacy organization. These days, I volunteer my professional expertise with an association that I actively participate in, helping others get started in my field and teaching them what I know. I also have been for many years a volunteer alumni interviewer for graduating high school students applying to my alma mater.

Well I just got begged by a noob for some .. umm.. "volunteer work". I believe he even said it would be in the interest of learning, though it was pretty obvious what he wanted to get a grasp of had more to do with me, and very little to do with understanding SL or the viewer :smileysurprised: An all too familiar scenario in the last few years, which is why I usually only help those noobs who sincerely want to know about SL or the viewer, and who wouldn't waste the opportunity to learn something just to hit on someone like me.

Irene Muni wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote:

I want to recreate this thread in the new forums. 

Only for reference, the previous one:

Thanks Irene!  Was not sure if I should recreate, but I did!  LOL!

Peace!

Quinn Morani wrote:

It's great to see this thread back, Hippie. My volunteer time is centered more in RL than SL. Just copying what I wrote about my RL volunteer activities from the old thread:

IN RL, I was until about a year ago a volunteer tutor with an adult literacy organization. These days, I volunteer my professional expertise with an association that I actively participate in, helping others get started in my field and teaching them what I know. I also have been for many years a volunteer alumni interviewer for graduating high school students applying to my alma mater.

So good Quinn!  Thank you for the time and effort, that you donate so freely!

Peace!

Not nearly as much as I should I think. I've gotten a lot from SL, met some amazing people, learned a ton of things. Like someone else said, I admire those that do help and give their time and effort.. I think I'm a silent groupie of some of them.

I do feel that sense of obligation to give something back, from what I've gotten out of SL, so thanks for that karmic nudge.

Dana Hickman wrote:

Well I just got begged by a noob for some .. umm.. "volunteer work". I believe he even said it would be in the interest of learning, though it was pretty obvious what he wanted to get a grasp of had more to do with me, and very little to do with understanding SL or the viewer :smileysurprised: An all too familiar scenario in the last few years, which is why I usually only help those noobs who sincerely want to know about SL or the viewer, and who wouldn't waste the opportunity to learn something just to hit on someone like me.

LOL Dana.  I believe I get you drift!  But I thank you for the time that you donate to help others!

Peace!

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Not nearly as much as I should I think. I've gotten a lot from SL, met some amazing people, learned a ton of things. Like someone else said, I admire those that do help and give their time and effort.. I think I'm a silent groupie of some of them.

I do feel that sense of obligation to give something back, from what I've gotten out of SL, so thanks for that karmic nudge.

Good post Dartagan!  Thank you for the time that you do donate to help!  Yes!

Peace!

Hey Hippie,

I'm still pretty new myself,  so I have not done any actual volunteer work in SL yet.  I do try to help people - if I meet someone newer than me.  lol

In real life,  I belong to the volunteer group where I work and a club that my bf introduced me to that is a non-profit organization who supports a variety of charities.

I don't do enough,  but I think every little bit helps!

Cali Souther wrote:

Hey Hippie,

I'm still pretty new myself,  so I have not done any actual volunteer work in SL yet.  I do try to help people - if I meet someone newer than me.  lol

In real life,  I belong to the volunteer group where I work and a club that my bf introduced me to that is a non-profit organization who supports a variety of charities.

I don't do enough,  but I think every little bit helps!

Hi Cali!  Great post!  I see you do go out of your way to help people!  Thank you for that!  Woot!  And you are right!  Every bit helps!  If everyone would help just a little bit, what a wonderful world it would be!

Peace!

Marianne McCann wrote:

Most of my volunteer time right now goes into the Bay City community. 's fun! :-)

Great Marianne!  If I am not mistaken, Bay City is one of the oldest communities in SL.  Thank you Marianne for all you do in helping others!

Peace!

Marianne McCann wrote:

Hippie Bowman wrote:

Great Marianne!  If I am not mistaken, Bay City is one of the oldest communities in SL.  Thank you Marianne for all you do in helping others!

There are older, but I'd contend we're one of the stronger ones. Thanks. :-)

Ahh yes!  And you are most welcome Marianne!

Peace!

Perrie Juran wrote:

I don't specifically volunteer my time, but I am generally always willing to help.  I have taught many a nOOb some basic building and editing skills.

Oh so good Perrie!  Thanks for the time you give in helping others!

Peace!

I am always willing to help someone out, both RL and SL but as far as actively donating my time on this earth to do so... not anymore.  I have found that most people who are actually worthwhile have already found their own solution to whatever problem that they have and those that take advantage of volunteers are doing just that, taking advantage of someone's goodwill.

Now classes are a little different and perhaps more worthwhile that other sorts of voluenteering since that is assisting someone in their own efforts.

Cabbage Acanthus wrote:

I am always willing to help someone out, both RL and SL but as far as actively donating my time on this earth to do so... not anymore.  I have found that most people who are actually worthwhile have already found their own solution to whatever problem that they have and those that take advantage of volunteers are doing just that, taking advantage of someone's goodwill.

Now classes are a little different and perhaps more worthwhile that other sorts of voluenteering since that is assisting someone in their own efforts.

Good post Cabbage!  Thanks for hellping others!

Peace!

Kolby Nissondorf wrote:

I would love to start volunteering some on my time to help people that are new to SL..and RL

Ahh!  There is nothing like helping Kolby!  If you are interested, one place you can check out is Help People Island.  You go through an apprentice course, and then graduate into a full fledged helper!  Check it out!  Do a search for Help People island!

Peace!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4334 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.