Do you use Advanced Lighting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I nearly always have ALS enabled. Ocassionaly  I run into someone wearing an ancient facelight the messes up the whole room. Or if I am hanging out with someone who's invisprim shoes with no alpha mask are too distracting.

I make and sell mesh jewelry, and incorporate materials.  The stuff looks quite dull with ALS off. I've taken the fact that I have good sales, with no negative feedback about dull looking jewelry, to be an inticatror tha ALS must be pretty widely used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This demo outfit required AL to get the sequin effect, I didnt know such a thing existed before, the difference is just amazing, however I dont use it, havent noticed any frame rate slowdown either but its causing some issues with shoes invisiprims, need to wear alphas which I try to avoid so thats why.

al1.pngal2.png

bebejee wrote:

This demo outfit required AL to get the sequin effect, I didnt know such a thing existed before, the difference is just amazing, however I dont use it, havent noticed any frame rate slowdown either but
its causing some issues with shoes invisiprims, need to wear alphas which I try to avoid so thats why.

The trouble with the shoe invisiprims is that while your feet look fine to you, more than fifty percent of the onlookers (if this thread is at all representative of the rest of sl) think your feet are sticking through the sides of your pumps.

Without alphas thats how the shoes appear on my screen as well with AL on, feet sticking out of them.

The sequin effect on that top is quite minimal, I took a pic of the area where it shined most due to light attachment, some of which is reflected on my left arm as pointed out by you, yellow, green, red and blue light attachemnets came with the clothes, most of the outfit looks like a glassy silver, there is nothing cheap about it as someone else tried to suggest it is.

bebejee wrote:

Oh well atleast i got to flaunt my self.

Congratulations! With that attitude you should spend more time here in GD. We need contributors here who are enthusiastic without being up themselves, who have a sense of proportion, and who allow bigoted criticism to slide off them like water off a duck's back.

Although maybe you would get more enjoyment out of posting your photos over in the Vanity Thread - narcissism is not considered a mental problem in SL, remember, except by those with a diminished perceived self-worth and the denizens of that thread would enjoy your "shiny" immensely there, I reckon. Marianne Little, who is THE style guru as far as I am concerned (although my opinions in matters of style and taste are not particularly prized by many, as you will have noticed) hangs out there, and I am sure that you could have a constructive discussion there with her and the others who enjoy blending the boundaries between real and virtual fashion and body image.

As I always say, be proud to be yourself, and if that isn't good enough, be someone else.

bebejee wrote:

This demo outfit required AL to get the sequin effect, I didnt know such a thing existed before, the difference is just amazing, however I dont use it, havent noticed any frame rate slowdown either but its causing some issues with shoes invisiprims, need to wear alphas which I try to avoid so thats why.

I recommend making alphas...

Its about the easiest thing to learn to make in a graphics program. GIMP is free. Anyone can do it. Its easier than learning how to open a box in SL...

Invisiprims have been 'depricated' for years so to a lot of SL, your feet will look like weird blocks thanks to having them on.

Many places put out free alphas too.

The furry shop, 'Dark Spot Designs' has a whole kit full of them. I think there's still a free set at 'The Forum Cartel', and 'New Citizens Inc.' "Might" have some in one of their freebie boards because its the kind of thing I'd expect to find there.

Alphas also come with most brands of mesh feet. Oftsen even with the demo... so you can get the alpha and not use the feet if that is all you want.

On any shoes that are Mod, you can edit them and remove the invisiprim (replace it with the default transparency texture from the library), resize the invisprim to 0.01 on all sides and push it inside the foot, or rez the shoe in a no-script area and delete that one prim.

- And if the shoe is No-Mod... well, nothing new with invisiprims SHOULD have been put out since 2010... so those shoes are probably pretty worn out by now and shoe shopping is always a good idea. :P

bebejee wrote:

And full monty

stylenew.png

This MIGHT just be the camera angle, but your hand size in this image looks too small by about 30% or so.. give or take.

The 'bump' at the wrist makes me suspect its hand size though - that bump MIGHT be from the arm and hand not matching well (not sure here), but could also again just be camera angle and image resolution related.

The SL hand and foot sliders are horrible for women...

They just adjust overall scale, and not things like finger length / muscle. So no matter what size we go for, female avatars always end up looking like they have the 'manhands' of a post-puberty sex-change. o.O

• 9 months later...

steph Arnott wrote:

Entirely depends on the graphics card. if things look good without one would expect it to look great in advanced, does not pan out that way tho.

I don't know about that, I am talking being able to see the 3D effects of bump mapping and the shine effects of specularity -- which if done correctly will add to the beauty of an object, and if done poorly, not so much.

Since you posted originally, I have been road testing a couple of viewers (Kokua and Alchemy) and found AL has been on approx 80% of the time (mostly because it defaulted on when they installed). Still tend to dial it down for certain situations bur definitely in use more - and also as have started to make more use of materials myself.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.