Do pm logs ever get deleted

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The logs you can access are stored on your own computer, so unless you delete them, no they aren't deleted. 

LL has logs of everything that is done in world too.  I assume they keep them too in case of any AR's or RL legal actions they need them for, but how long is anyone's guess.  No one other than LL has access to those.

"Linden Lab only retains data as necessary to operate Second Life.

Instant message and text chat logs are retained for a period of two weeks or less in order to assist us in the resolution of abuse reports. For various legal reasons, we may occasionally retain data for longer than two weeks."

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Technical_overview_of_Second_Life_security#Data_retention

Your best assumption is that regardless of what you may read in a TOS, EULA or any other text, just assume that your data is never deleted.

If Facebook says it's deleted when both parties do, assume that's not true. It may no longer be visible to you but you can bet that the data is retained.

Same for any online data holder.

Not true.

The Linden software has the extraordinary feature of deleting content on your own hard drive because it OVERWRITES the saved chat messages. Yes it does. Anyone who has paid attention to these files realizes that and knows to save them. It happens on and off. But THAT it does overwrite is a known fact.

I delete mine daily, I've never had a real need to rehash what people say.  

I always assume that other people keep them forever and happily notecard what I say to other people. Meh. It's mostly snooze inducing stuff about horses, sailing or the latest kid hunter.

The Lab keep them for 2 weeks, or forever if a person is under investigation.

The NSA keep them for 30 days, unless a keyword is triggered.

The GHSC keep them for 90 days, unless a keyword is triggered.

ASIO are pretty incompetant, so I doubt they have a copy.

Canadia is part of Five Eyes, so they likely borrow the UK's copy of them.

New Zealand are out watching the sheep, so they forgot they left the recording machines on.

The German Authorities are starting to become more interested in people, and BASF is a German Company, so they have a lot of magnetic media. One should consider they keep them as long as your notecarding friends.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Who are GHSC?

Good question. It may be either Golf Historical Society of Canada or the General Hypnotherapy Standards Council. Might also be Global Halal Support Centre or Glastonbury Hartwel Soccer Club of course but that seems unlikely in this context.

Hee hee, I was posting a hyperlink to a discussion that could answer OP's question in detail...

I wanted her to have full ability to manage and delete those logs, for whatever reason, and for the sake of transparency and access to all

Callum Meriman wrote:

I delete mine daily, I've never had a real need to rehash what people say.  

Oh but when you have a merchant having a hissy fit with a review you made, and making all sorts of threats, and using their personal blogs to defame you, or another pms 6 different accounts making sock puppet accusations because they have access to old and new IPS and make irrational statements breaking the TOS...

then you wish you had those logs to go back to.

I never used to have them on, I turned them off. Now after a few situations, I have them on now. For protection.

huh?

looking today  at chat logs from 5 years ago. Stored on my hard drive. Well, copied from one hard drive to another. But as long as I take care, read the instructions, and do not do the vanilla default installs, never lost or got overwritten in 10 years.

Documented and easy, if you take the time to look. No overwriting I have ever seen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2656 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.